The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Your Mentalism Act (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
gelbepfeife
View Profile
Regular user
129 Posts

Profile of gelbepfeife
Hi guys, I am interested in your act, how long it is, which effects you use, etc.

I am working on one (not performed yet)

but this would be my concept:

Vital Statistics
from "22 Blows To The Head": a piece of sheet with about 30 words rowed up and down (sorry for my English) is cut where the spectator choses - the word cut
to matches with the prediction.
Not too amazing, but fun as an opener.

Challenge Mind Reading
using the breakthrough card "wonder"

Stigmata or Centre Tear
Wayne's Stigmata using the Initials Method or the PCT by Richard Osterlind if I finally can do it smooth (not yet).

Radar Deck
One of my all time favourites.

Effects that I attend to maybe include are:

8 Card Brainwave -
alternative for an opener

Invisible Deck -
Sankey's ID-Variation with a black marker)

Lorayne's Buck -
easy, needs a good presentation

Out Of This World/Galaxy -
Paul Harris variation, but I am still looking for a good set up.

What is you mentalism act? And when some tricks are not too known, can you please describe them?

I am glad to read this

mfg
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Yes I am glad to read it as well.

MFG it will be hard for anyone to tell you exactly what they do. It is the routine and structure that makes every show different. By everyone routining and scripting the same we would all just be clones. I hope that makes sense.
harishjose
View Profile
Special user
932 Posts

Profile of harishjose
Just out of curiosity, how would you transition from cards to a no-cards effect, and then again to a cards effect. Smile Wont this mean that you will introduce a deck of cards, keep it away, again take it back, and so forth.

Food for thought.
To believe is Magic.
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
Gelbepfeife

I do not like using cards in a mentalism program. Reminds me of being a magician IMHO.

I really doubt that anyone will tell you the order and types of effects that they use. When a person does get their act together they are not going to tell everyone on a forum about it.

People will lift their ideas.

I agree with what harishjose posted above. Think about your transition between effects and the battle will be half won!

Best
Ray
KiKi
View Profile
Inner circle
GERMANY/ Hannover
1141 Posts

Profile of KiKi
I agree with ray!
use one cardeffect, that's enough. cards=magician in laymen eyes!
kiki
Michael Bilkis
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of Michael Bilkis
I didn't notice a finale routine. I've closed with Osterlind's magazine test and the picture cuting routine to match a "freely" chosen name frome a plastic bag (I don't remember the name of hand) from Anneman's practical Mental Magic.

Michael
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Quote:
On 2007-06-13 15:22, KiKi wrote:
kiki

Please explain that to Dunninger, Chan Canasta, David Berglas, Kreskin, David Hoy, Derren Brown and me.

- entity
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
And me.
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
And me
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
gelbepfeife
View Profile
Regular user
129 Posts

Profile of gelbepfeife
Cards mean "do not believe anything you see" to a magician, I think that's it.
mfg is not my name, it means something like "nice greetings".
I thought it would be better to do a trick without cards between challenge mind reading and the radar deck, a little time laps for the deck sw****. but I think you are right. what patter should I use to introduce the cards again. maybe I will do stigmata before the breakthrough card system trick.

@kiki
if you rarely use cards, I would like to use which effects you like to do, just tell me some of your favourites please.

mfg Gelbepfeife
Hoff Man
View Profile
Loyal user
Ohio
258 Posts

Profile of Hoff Man
Eugene Burger once wrote about the distinction between a card trick and a mystery performed with cards.

Something to the effect that, a card trick is something that happens TO the cards, while a mystery with cards is about life.

When a card mystery is performed, the cards are a vehicle, or medium, through which the performer’s message is revealed.

Besides that, Burger’s wisdom needs to be noted more on this forum.

Steve
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
Gelbe,
I see a few problems here . . . First, welcome to the Café. Smile

Many wonderful card routines have found their way into the acts of great mentalists all over the world. They can be very effective when handled correctly. You're working with some high powered routines, as you listed above - Please learn to use them well.

The Magic Café is a blessing in that, so much information is gathered in one place. Many of the people on board here are true professionals, and many of them are willing to help you.

With that said, one of the things many here are not comfortable sharing is their private material; the routines and effects we use everyday to make a living. While pointers may be freely given, I am very doubtful that you will get many responses to questions and requests like, "What routines do you use in your act?" and, "Tell me some of your favorites so I can learn them."

And this is not anything personal . . . some of us have worked very hard to find what works best for us and our particular shows and performances. It hasn't taken us a few weeks or even months, but years and years. Many on board here are unlikely to part with such hard earned wisdoms.

I get that you're young and enthusiastic, and that is to be admired. Perhaps some different questions may serve you better, such as "Can someone recommend a routine that might go well with (such and such)", etc.

Just a few thoughts . . . I welcome your questions. Feel free to PM me if you wish.

Best,
Jerome.
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
Hoff Man
View Profile
Loyal user
Ohio
258 Posts

Profile of Hoff Man
Gelbe,

Not knowing much about you, and where or when you plan to perform your act, I have just one suggestion to make. And it concerns your use of cards.

If you are going to perform mentalism with cards, it might be best to also learn a few routines that can be performed with a borrowed deck. That you can perform anytime.

That way you will have more real life opportunities to work on your performance and eventually make the routine your own.

Not to mention the fact that a card mystery is signicantly stronger when performed with other people’s “dog-eared” decks of cards.

Many versions of “Out of This World” fit that bill, as you mentioned in your post.

Fortunately, some of the strongest mysteries performed with cards are technically self-working, allowing you to focus on your presentation and interactions with your audience.

Steve
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Quote:
On 2007-06-13 20:43, Hoff Man wrote:

a card mystery is signicantly stronger when performed with other people’s “dog-eared” decks of cards.

When Dunninger was asked to perform in a social situation, and the host handed him a "dog-eared" deck of cards, Dunninger would ask them to send someone out to buy a decent deck of cards before he would begin to perform.

- entity
KiKi
View Profile
Inner circle
GERMANY/ Hannover
1141 Posts

Profile of KiKi
[quote]On 2007-06-13 16:36, entity wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-06-13 15:22, KiKi wrote:
kiki

Please explain that to Dunninger, Chan Canasta, David Berglas, Kreskin, David Hoy, Derren Brown and me.

- entity
[/quote

I think it`s a matter of taste. a lot mentalists use cards and a lot DON`T, because it adds to much "magic-trick" into it. it`s in our subconcious mind! cards scream "magic-trick".i also love mentalism with cards, but I try to avoid doing to much.
kiki
Hoff Man
View Profile
Loyal user
Ohio
258 Posts

Profile of Hoff Man
Quote:
On 2007-06-13 22:57, entity wrote:
When Dunninger was asked to perform in a social situation, and the host handed him a "dog-eared" deck of cards, Dunninger would ask them to send someone out to buy a decent deck of cards before he would begin to perform.
- entity

That's Great!!

But I can't help but have this uneasy feeling that if I had been there, I would have been the one they made go out and buy the cards.

Steve
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
[quote]On 2007-06-13 15:07, Magical Dimensions wrote: (In part)
Gelbepfeife

I do not like using cards in a mentalism program. Reminds me of being a magician IMHO.

(quote]

The reason that I stated this was because I have been flicking cards for many, many years as a magician. When I got into mentalism I decided that I wanted to try and keep playing cards out of my mentalism and use them only when doing magic. I wanted a completely different look, feel and approach to my mentalism program. And playing cards kept pulling my thinking back to finger flicking as a magician, (If that makes any sense) LOL

I have done finger flicker for so long that it seem to just be a card trick if I used cards in mentalism. I wanted to start on a clean slate as they say. LOL

But, there are some really COOL routines in mentalism using CARDS! (Darn it)

And for the record I do use a small number of card effects in developing my mentalism. But, if I can do it without cards or dress the cards up by giving them a new look then I will use cards. (Just don’t tell anyone) LOL

Best
Ray
Hoff Man
View Profile
Loyal user
Ohio
258 Posts

Profile of Hoff Man
Ray,

I know what you mean. Sometimes it's hard to hold a pack of cards without your hands automatically going into "sleight mode".

Steve
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Quote:
On 2007-06-14 02:59, KiKi wrote:

I think it`s a matter of taste. a lot mentalists use cards and a lot DON`T, because it adds to much "magic-trick" into it.

Name the top 6 Mentalists of this or any time in modern history. I'll bet you that most, if not all of them use playing cards from time to time. Even Geller uses playing cards at times.

In the end, it's not the instrument played that convinces people, it's the Performer.

- entity
gelbepfeife
View Profile
Regular user
129 Posts

Profile of gelbepfeife
Quote:
On 2007-06-14 14:26, Hoff Man wrote:

Sometimes it's hard to hold a pack of cards without your hands automatically going into "sleight mode".

I know exactly what you mean. When I see a pack of cards I see myself suddenly doing several charlier cuts, riffle passes or double lifts lol

Back to Topic:

Who of you has tried Osterlinds Watch Routine as a Closer yet. I am thinking about it.

mfg Yello Pipe
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Your Mentalism Act (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL