The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » A newbie's first "routine." (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mitchb2
View Profile
Elite user
455 Posts

Profile of mitchb2
So I learned enough rubber band stuff to have a little routine.

1. Wrist penetration
2. Use that band for thumb penetration
3. Wrist penetration with a 2nd band.
4. Use the 2 for CMH
5. CMH in spectator's hands
6. Ladder
7. Broken and restored band.

Not bad!
Now I have to look at the mishmash of other stuff I know and string some more things together.
cosmopop1
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of cosmopop1
Good job. How did you learn that?
mitchb2
View Profile
Elite user
455 Posts

Profile of mitchb2
Dan Harlan videos.
cosmopop1
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of cosmopop1
Of course. Sorry if I sounded stupid
tony2514
View Profile
Regular user
Yorkshire, UK
162 Posts

Profile of tony2514
It's great that you are doing rubber band stuff - have you tried the rising paper clip yet?

People forget that rubber band routines are the perfect impromptu sets for students, office and shop workers alike. I am also a fan, because that is where I started.

Of course, the second best impromptu prop is money. If you haven't yet got it, I heartily recommend the best book on coin magic - Modern Coin Magic by JB Bobo - it may be over 50 years old, but some of the routines in it are currently being sold individually (renamed and remarketed) for a lot of money. Naughty! I'll mention no names, but buyer beware the Devil Coins
mitchb2
View Profile
Elite user
455 Posts

Profile of mitchb2
Yeah, I got into magic strictly for coins, but soon discovered everything else out there.

Today I practiced Shadow Coins, and I'm still trying to develop CP.

I'm one of the very few people on the planet who isn't crazy about Bobo's book.
I have a hard time learning magic from books, especially when it involves movement.
I need to see things in action.
tony2514
View Profile
Regular user
Yorkshire, UK
162 Posts

Profile of tony2514
There are some great DVDs out there for beginners in coin magic. Ian Kendall has done one and there is an excellent two volume series by David Stone called Basic Coin Magic.

I'm waiting for someone to do a version of the Bobo book on DVD like the guys who did the Royal Road to Card Magic on DVD - that would be cool.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Well Tony...ask and you shall receive!

There is a DVD (4 disk) set that was recently released based on the Bobo coin book. It's great and really helps in understanding what is in the book. Get them both and you're all set for coin magic.

Here is a link about it. Just contact your favorite dealer and see if they carry it.

http://magicmakersinc.com/ModernCoinMagi......gic.html

Mark. Smile
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Mitch, you are doing the right thing, taking one medium and exploring it, putting techniques together, and routines linked together. One of the better methods of learning. Getting at least a good hang on one type of magic before jumping to another.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
mitchb2
View Profile
Elite user
455 Posts

Profile of mitchb2
Photius, yes...this is why I am avoiding card magic altogether for now.
I know that's a whole universe in itself, and I don't want to get scattered any more than I am. I'm doing some things with loops, TT, and some other gimmicked tricks, but coins are my real love.

The rubber band stuff is great because everyone can relate to a rubber band and its properties. So it really looks impossible. I did CMH for a my poker buddies, and one guy couldn't stop talking about it all night. "How'd you do that...how'd you do that?"
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
So mitchb2, I could certainly understand a hesitance to post your script and it's blocking, but.......it does exist, right?
mitchb2
View Profile
Elite user
455 Posts

Profile of mitchb2
JackScratch...I don't understand your question.
Do you mean where did this rubber band "routine" come from?
zappyjingles
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of zappyjingles
G'day,

Wow sounds great you are really working hard to learn new routines. Starting with just one objective is a sound move I will try and find the one thing I am most interested in and work on it.

Hugs N Giggles
mitchb2
View Profile
Elite user
455 Posts

Profile of mitchb2
At this point, I don't claim to have any creativity in the matter.
I'm just a newbie copycat for now. In fact, patter makes me feel "corny" and silly.
My "patter" consists of "Watch the coin travel...here" and "Watch as the rubber band...penetrates."

Lame.

With the rubber bands, I just took the small repertoire that I have, and put them in a logical order.
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
Quote:
On 2007-06-15 10:33, mitchb2 wrote:
JackScratch...I don't understand your question.
Do you mean where did this rubber band "routine" come from?

Every magician should have a script, with blocking included, for his performances. Even if you don't speak, which I advise against for a beginner, you need to plan out what you are going to say, where and how you are going to stand, everything. I have a post on the subject, feel free to copy paste the link in my sig and check it out.

The magic comes from all the things that you do that are not "tricks".
tony2514
View Profile
Regular user
Yorkshire, UK
162 Posts

Profile of tony2514
Quote:
On 2007-06-15 00:22, mrunge wrote:
Well Tony...ask and you shall receive!

There is a DVD (4 disk) set that was recently released based on the Bobo coin book. It's great and really helps in understanding what is in the book. Get them both and you're all set for coin magic.

Here is a link about it. Just contact your favorite dealer and see if they carry it.

http://magicmakersinc.com/ModernCoinMagi......gic.html

Mark. Smile

That is fantastic. I have ordered my copy today. Thanks a million, mate.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » A newbie's first "routine." (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL