The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Advice and/or comments please (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cosmopop1
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of cosmopop1
I did my first actually halfway decent video. See it at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi5P5jaSfcA

I am only a beginner and the video is not very good. Thanks

Cosmopop1
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
First off, it takes a lot of guts to post a video on the Café anytime, especially if you're a beginner. So kudos for that. Second, I think the handling of the cards was pretty decent. Nothing too spectacular but it certainly wasn't sloppy. The biggest fault was the patter/presentation. As a beginner hopefully no one will come posting here bashing you for the presentation.

What you need to do is rehearse the presentation and scripting just as much, if not more, than the technique involved in whatever effect you're performing. Practice like you're going to give a speech. Then once you feel comfortable both delivering a smooth presentation and executing the technique at the same time, it's time to show some family/friends. As you perform this for real people a few times, you'll start to say things off the cuff that you probably didn't write into the script originally. Anything that works, or provides laughter, remember that and go back to edit the script including this new found patter. Anything that doesn't work, remember that it didn't work and make sure not to do it again.

Also make sure that the script makes sense and that you're not just saying words. I would have to watch the video again to pick apart the script, but I do remember that some of the things you said didn't seem to make sense with what you were doing.

Having said all that I again praise you for posting this here. Keep working on stuff and let's see some more videos in the future when you've worked on the presentations a little more.

Brian
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
That's great advice from Bryan. Think about it.

Keep up the good work. You'll only get better from your efforts.

Mark.
cosmopop1
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of cosmopop1
Thanks for the advice Brian. I need work on my script for all of my tricks, not only this one. Who knows maybe I will make a second edition. Anyway, thanks for the comments and advice.

Cosmopop1
Mark Wilden
View Profile
Veteran user
San Francisco
375 Posts

Profile of Mark Wilden
I assume you're studying that YouTube video. Make sure the video is as good as it should be before performing the trick live. Take Brian's advice about writing a script, then rehearse it, tweak it, film it, study it, tweak it, etc.

I don't perform for anyone until the video looks good.

///ark
cosmopop1
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of cosmopop1
Mark: Thast's a great point. That's why I have it up on youtube! Also, I just wrote a script for it and it seems pretty good.
wardini
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of wardini
Cosmopop1 well done for having the cahunas to post a video. Here's my two penneth worth;

This may be a personal peculiarity of mine, but I hate the term 'trick'. I'm a magician, I want to create magic, I don't want to do tricks.
There are plenty of other ways to phrase it, 'This is an interesting effect', 'let me show you something peculiar', 'Here's something quite magical' I'm sure you get the picture.

Yes it is a trick, and we know it's a trick, and they know it's a trick but let's try and create that suspension of disbelief and perfrom some magic.
cosmopop1
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of cosmopop1
Wardini: I like your advice, therefore, there is no word "trick" in my second take of the Topsy-Turvy cards which should be up in 5 minutes
cosmopop1
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of cosmopop1
Here it is! Take two of my performance of the Topsy-Turvy cards

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHIbf8YfDuA

Any advice or comments would be appreciated. Thanks!

Cosmopop1
pradell
View Profile
Special user
Alaska
559 Posts

Profile of pradell
Here is a transcript of how you start the performance in your last clip:

"Hi this is Cosmo Pop 1. I want to show you something today. Its something that its kind of strange. OK I want to first show you that this is just a regular deck. Nothing funny about it just a regular blue back bicycle deck. [shows backs] And the same with this side[shows fronts] same with the faces. Just regular old faces right, ok? So now I’m going to do something that looks kind of strange. I’m taking half of the deck putting it face up on top. . ."

And here is my comment:

You spend a lot of time telling the audience that the deck is ordinary and spend time proving and explaining why it is so. Is this necessary?

The ordinariness of your props is something that should be best done in an understated manner. Once you tell the audience that the cards are "ordinary" and try to prove this to them by explaining that the deck is "regular" you immediately arouse the suspicion of the audience.

Your normal lay audience member sees a deck of cards and assumes that they are ordinary. Cards are cards, not like some fancy magic box an illusionist brings out that is so strange and unusual that it has "trap door" written all over it. By spending so much time trying to prove the deck is ordinary, you have taken the assumption that the audience brings to the event, i.e. that things in the real world such as cards are normal, and caused the audience to question whether or not you are telling the truth.

Rather than saying anything about the deck, just show it. Being quiet is ok. There is nothing wrong with letting the deck speak for itself. If you want to speak, you can say, "I have a deck of cards" or something else that a person with a normal deck would say.

:magicrabbit:
cosmopop1
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of cosmopop1
Pradell: That's as good point. I will try to talk less in take 3.
LCBellah
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of LCBellah
I agree with Pradell. The more you say that something is ordinary the more people will question in their minds if it really is ordinary. They will begin to think "why does he keep saying it's a regular deck of cards? I wonder if there is something funny about that deck?"

Think about it. If it really was ordinary you wouldn't point it out. You would just say here's a deck of cards.

Thanks for sharing the video. Good job!
Ethan the emazing
View Profile
Elite user
anywhere but here USA
454 Posts

Profile of Ethan the emazing
I agree with the top two post's. Good technique though. Just keep on workin at it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Advice and/or comments please (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL