The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Is Gypsy a derogatory term? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
cinemagician
View Profile
Inner circle
Phila Metro Area
1094 Posts

Profile of cinemagician
Hello, is the term Gypsy possibly insulting to those of that heritage. I have heard it said that some prefer the term "romany".

Is the term "Gypsy" an ethnic slur?

Thanks.
...The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity...

William Butler Yeats
pkg
View Profile
Inner circle
The City of Ithobaal I son of Hiram I
1356 Posts

Profile of pkg
I heard that it is...
Double posters should be shot!

No really!!
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17665 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Exactly what "Heritage" do you believe GYPSY to be. I've heard a great many and various ideas on the subject.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
pkg
View Profile
Inner circle
The City of Ithobaal I son of Hiram I
1356 Posts

Profile of pkg
Double posters should be shot!

No really!!
cinemagician
View Profile
Inner circle
Phila Metro Area
1094 Posts

Profile of cinemagician
Thanks for the link. Any other oppinions?
...The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity...

William Butler Yeats
cinemagician
View Profile
Inner circle
Phila Metro Area
1094 Posts

Profile of cinemagician
Quote:
On 2007-06-15 15:37, Slim King wrote:
Exactly what "Heritage" do you believe GYPSY to be. I've heard a great many and various ideas on the subject.

I don't know exactly, but I did once hear some story about a romany removing one of the nails from Christ's crusafix, and (I can't remember the story) that this act gave them some kind of pardon from stealing from another ethnic group.

Does this one sound familiar to you Slim?

Oops- I just double posted pkg please don't shoot me.

William Butler Yeats
coupcoupdaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
2466 Posts

Profile of coupcoupdaddy
Isabel Fonesca's BURY ME STANDING The Gypsies and Their Journey, Vintage PB, 1996, would be helpful to those who wish to try and understand more than just stereotypical imagery amidst intentionally erased historical footsteps. Unfortunately, "Gypsy" carries much negative and forbidden semantic weight with it. "Your mama flies and your papa plays the violin."

Good to hear from you, Cinema!
foreign correspondent, z and lt

inner being worker
cinemagician
View Profile
Inner circle
Phila Metro Area
1094 Posts

Profile of cinemagician
Likewsie- Tom, Thanks for the lead (pronounced leed) Smile

William Butler Yeats
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Gypsy derive from the word 'egypt'. they were known to have migrated to southern europe ie italy, spain, and were immediately seen as outcasts, ne'er do wells, due to the fact that they were foreign, darker skinned, and did almost anything to survive....

today the gypsies are hardly indistiguishable from the european, save they oft' have darker hair, eyes....
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
You're actually not very far off, but it's not Gypsy that's the slur, it's the derivitive use of the word 'gyp', as in "that thing was a complete gyp, I never should have bought it".

To imply something is a rip-off by using the word 'gyp' implies that gypsies rip people off.....and therein lies the racial slur.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17665 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Words evolve in and out of Political correctness. If a boy was a DOG a few years ago he was ugly....now he's a friend Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Silvertongue
View Profile
Inner circle
One day I will die leaving behind
2424 Posts

Profile of Silvertongue
Travellers I believe they call themselves nowadays. In my younger days I had some interconectedness with a Romany family and I was known to frequent a few raves that they hold all over europe.
Pike is another term they use for the irish gypsies...
I think like with most terminology, its the context you use it in.
For as long as space exists,
And living beings remain in cyclic existence,
For that long, may I too remain,
to dispel the sufferings of the world.
-Shantideva

Engaging in the Conduct of a Bodhisattva
sir real
View Profile
New user
I've been tied to
85 Posts

Profile of sir real
I have known many Gypsies over the years and I have never known any to be offended by the name.They always proudly reffered to thierselves as Gypsy.One time while working a fair,I saw a sign in a store in town that read "unattended children will be sold to the gypsies"!As soon as I saw a gypsy friend of mine I told him.The whole family made a special trip to see it.They got the biggest laugh out of it.The elder of the family "Mama"even shamed the red faced clerk into giving her the sign to hang in her trailer window.Priceless.
Silvertongue
View Profile
Inner circle
2424 Posts

Profile of Silvertongue
Smile bloody gypsies...
-Shantideva

Bill Fienning
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of Bill Fienning
A local street magician (recently deceased) was of Gypsy heritage and referred to himself that way. So he was not sensitive, but I don't know if that feeling is widespread.

"Gypsy" is not marked as offensive in my dictionary.
Bill Fienning

"It's More than Tricks"
hou_dini
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of hou_dini
Just my 2 cents. The Gypsies origins are in northern India where they moved west towards Turkey, Greece, and into Europe. The term is not considered by them to be a slur and they prefer to call themselves "Rom". There are about 10 major groups, the largest being the Rom and Sinti. Travellers is a term used to describe a group of Irish Gypsies in the U.S. who have been running a vast and extensive criminal enterprise for over a hundred years. Gypsies in Ireland are referred to as "Tinkers" because of the sound made by mending pots and pans. The Rom are still extensively persecuted in Europe. mass deportations of German Rom took place in Germany throughout the 1990's! Mandatory sterilization was still the law in Scandanavia in the 1970's. Just some facts (most of which I received from my grandad--a "Tinker").
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Gyp comes from egypt.
docsteve
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of docsteve
To follow from Master Baba, cross-reference the 'Gyptians' in Pullman's 'His Dark Materials' trilogy.
And if you haven't read it yet, go NOW and buy it, read it and enjoy it before the Hollywood movie comes out and slays it. (It's kind of Harry Potter meets the Gnostics)
Best
Steve
[
Silvertongue
View Profile
Inner circle
2424 Posts

Profile of Silvertongue
-Shantideva

Silvertongue
View Profile
Inner circle
2424 Posts

Profile of Silvertongue
Erm the gypsy language- Romani - is actually derived from the oldest written language, sanskrit... not from egyptian as some have said...
-Shantideva

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Is Gypsy a derogatory term? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL