The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Jerks. . . (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
JustinCredible28
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle
217 Posts

Profile of JustinCredible28
Some people make me sick-- This happened last year (2 weeks before Christmas) -- but I still think about it now & again. At the bar where I bartend, I sometimes would bring my backpack full of Magic/Mentalism books in to read on slow nights. On this particular night, I got up for a second to get someone a drink, and when I came back to my spot, my backpack full of everything was gone!!! (My own fault . . . I know--)

I had so many good books (which I’ve since replaced-- three out of the 9 were autographed even) I also had my notebook which contained my various scripts for my shows, as well as my own ideas (which I’ve since re-written). Even more so than the books, the notebook being gone was the one that really upset me most-- you can’t exactly replace that kind of time and work. Not to mention, these things were probably of completely no use whatsoever to whomever stole it, and was probably just tossed out onto the freeway somewhere after realizing that there wasn’t any jewelry, or electronics, etc. in the backpack.

One other thing that I think was more, or less irreplaceable was “20 Stunners” Lecture Notes by Larry Becker, that was autographed. This remains the only un-replaced item, as I never even see this one on eBay, or elsewhere-- what a shame (any ideas?). Anyways, I didn’t write this to be a downer, or anything, but I was just thinking about it, because I was searching online for these lecture notes again today (to no avail), and I got to wondering, if anybody else on here has lost any of their beloved “magical” treasures, and can relate to my story?

P.S.-- Those Jerks will get theirs in the end, haha. Smile
"a distorted reality is now a necessity to be free. . ." -- Elliott Smith

http://www.NWFortuneTeller.com
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
I spent my coin unique once. Totally my fault as well.
Jordan Waller
View Profile
Special user
London
610 Posts

Profile of Jordan Waller
Once left my notebook on a train, pretty stressful. Though on the plus side I found that having to rewrite the thing made me more creative and add extra stuff that I'd never thought of before.
One day I will write a book
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Yes, many moons ago, I walked off leaving a whole case of props at a show site, was a couple of days later before I noticed it, of course it was gone. Purely my own fault. After that always use a check list for both loading to go to the show and loading to return from it. Live and learn.
Definition of a jerk, anyone going faster or slower than you on the freeway. Yes, there are a lot of jerks, lol.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3454 Posts

Profile of Looch
You also gotta feel for the lad whos girl sold his MOABT at a church jumble sale
My Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/
Bookings: https://looch.co.uk/
Smoking Camel
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1042 Posts

Profile of Smoking Camel
Quote:
On 2007-06-16 04:38, looch wrote:
You also gotta feel for the lad whos girl sold his MOABT at a church jumble sale

If only she handn't.......
I no longer smoke camel cigarettes.
phil in KC
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of phil in KC
I started in magic as a teenager. I had a couple of boxes worth of magic books, including all of Tarbell and some other gems, when I graduated from college. Rather than going to work I went overseas for the next six months, and left my "stuff" in a friend's basement. Wouldn't you know, my friend moved, and had no idea where the boxes went. It was my own fault, really, and I sure do feel the loss. I've moved into mentalism, but my daughter is a magician, and I wish I had those books to pass on to her. Not to mention that there's plenty of that "stuff" that I could still use. Oh well...

-Phil in KC
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I lost my mind once had nothing to read for ages..
howdoidisconnect
View Profile
Elite user
Just outside the cafe window
429 Posts

Profile of howdoidisconnect
About 18 months ago, I had a break-in while I was away and they took the dvd collections, which had my magic dvd's and my books, not to worry I thought as I back everything up onto my external hard drive which is hidden behind my desk in my study... well they were fairly smart as they traced the wires ( I use to use a laptop, so it was with me ) behind the deck and nicked the hard drive as well.

What sickens me the most is that I am sure there was no value in it for them, and probably just threw the magic stuff away, and wiped the hard drive.
I do look forward to the day when you post something constructive.
-Tony Iacoviello
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Years ago, I was in the middle of a break up. I had kept all of my magic & mentalism books, props & videos in the garage, I was making daily trips to get my stuff out of the garage. I went to get some of my stuff after having been there the previous day to get a load.

I unlocked the garage & went in to find that someone had went through everything in there & had poured sand, bubble solution, perfume, cologne, hand lotion, & anything liquid they could find all over everything. They had also spray painted all over everything.

Most of everything was destroyed, I figure it was my ex's new boyfriend or it was her kids who constantly stole props or broke them.

Regardless of who it was, jerk is a very polite way to describe the person who did this!

Mike
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
I truly believe in Karma.It will not bring your material back Mike...but bad individual's like this will eventually have to account for their behavior/or suffer a similar loss.

Rich
asanghi
View Profile
Veteran user
Moscow, Russia
305 Posts

Profile of asanghi
I lost all my scripts from the last dozen years when my computer crashed. I thought I had a back up but did not! Fortunately I had an old printout and got at least half of them back. Sigh...
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13152 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
I lost several nearly completed books, many effects, much research, and over 20 essays do to the same problem. Smile
JustinCredible28
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle
217 Posts

Good ol' technology, huh!

Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4285 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Quote:
On 2007-06-17 07:24, JustinCredible28 wrote:
Good ol' technology, huh!

How about Good ol' *backup* technology. Anyone promoting technology should also be promoting diligent backups, both on-site and off-site(simple as leaving a harddrive at a friends or bank box)

Losing data to corruption and/or hardware failure is a very big risk that is well known which is why so much out there to help back up your data.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13152 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Yes, I had 2 backups, one was in the drive when the PC fried, the other was in another location, but it turns out the drive that wrote it was the only one that could properly read it. I had errors in every other CDRW drive I put it in (possibly due to the backup software and it's compression).

I'm now backing files up in 3 locations.
Sleeveless
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of Sleeveless
Many, many years ago I was living a nomadic and mystic life. I worked as a street performer and held various odd jobs to support my studies. My van was my home and it held most of my worldly possessions. One day someone opened a window on my home. He, I assume it was a he, reached into my van and took all that could be easily reached - a copy of 'The Way of the Shaman, a kerosene lamp, and a travel alarm clock. Although I still miss those items I was amazed at at the coincidence that those would be the three items taken - a spiritual path, a light, and time to go. I comforted myself thinking that perhaps the thief was responding to a higher power and it was beyond his control to act as he did.
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
These are some pretty madening stories. Luckily, I have had nothing lost, stolen, or misplaced except a few ungimmicked half dollars at the restaurant. It's pretty sad that some people steal just for the sake of stealing. Why in the world would somebody steal a bookbag filled with books? (Hey, I just realized what bookbags are used for now!)
DerekMerdinyan
View Profile
Inner circle
1030 Posts

Profile of DerekMerdinyan
Hey Justin, which bar do you work at?

Derek Merdinyan
JustinCredible28
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle
217 Posts

Hey Derek! Nice to meet you Smile I am currently bartending at Club BC's in Mill Creek-- the bar where this incident happened at was at (the now closed down) The Pine Cone Café in Lynnwood. What area are you in?

--Justin--

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Jerks. . . (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL