The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Interesting Houdini Facts (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

pastorclyde
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of pastorclyde
Greetings!

While doing some research some interesting facts befell me-
Houdini was born on April 6,1874 * I was born April 5, 1955
Houdini died October 31, 1926. He was 52 years old. * I am 52 years old.
On October 30, 2007, I will be the exact age Houdini was when he died.
It was exactly 100 years ago this year that Houdini accepted the USPO Mailbag Challenge.
On October 30, 2007, I will be escaping from an exact replica of the mailbag So, at exactly his age (to the day) when he died I'll be performing his mailbag escape exactly 100 years after he first did and I'll be doing it on the eve of the day he died. How's that for eerie coincidence?

Just thought you might enjoy that...

Clyde

That means that on
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Dear Clyde,

Two suggestions:

1. Don't let enyone punch you in the stomach backstage.

2. Don't do anything to upset the spiritualists.

Onward and upward!

Yours,

Paul
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
:o

(Twilight Zone Music plays in background)

Beware the ides of March...umm, October!

***. That is a weird coincidence Clyde.
Wolflock
Pro Magician & Escapologist
Member of JMC (Johannesburg Magic Circle)
South Africa
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Oh, c'mon! You planned that!

It's ok. We like you anyway! Publicity angles are a good thing.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
I think Clyde might have too much time on his hands Smile

hehe.. good luck with the escape Smile
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
pastorclyde
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of pastorclyde
Hehe thanks guys. Ok so I planned everything except the birth thing... but was darn nice of my folks to work it out that way. hehehe

Clyde
Moxahalla
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
751 Posts

Profile of Moxahalla
"Houdini was born on April 6,1874"

>>>Hopefully there won't be any Houdini historians in the audience to give you an argument over that - if you mention that date in your patter. Smile
pastorclyde
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of pastorclyde
The date came from his death certificate. I'd love to learn of any other info on the subject! What do you have?

Clyde
Moxahalla
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
751 Posts

Profile of Moxahalla
>>>Houdini was born on March 24, 1874 -in Hungary.

>>>not on April 6 - in America, as he publically claimed.
dylan1961
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of dylan1961
Birth certificate of Houdini was found in Budapest, and reprinted in Genii Magazine
in the Oct. 1972 issue, as I recall (could have the wrong issue). I do have the issue, and it shows conclusively he was born 3/24/74 in Budapest. I remember it was titled something like "Report of the Houdini Birthdate Research Committee", or something similar to that.
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
I think he was born in Pest. I don't remember a birth certificate though. More likely it was some sort of census record or other similar document. I'm almost positive that Larry Arcuri and Milbourne Christopher did the leg work on this project.

Yes, he was American.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
pastorclyde
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of pastorclyde
Is it true that he was brought to this country at age 4 two years after he was supposedly born here?

Clyde
pastorclyde
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of pastorclyde
Is it true that he was brought to this country at age 4 two years after he was supposedly born here?

Clyde
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Yes. He arrived in NYC on July 3rd, 1878.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
Mick Hanzlik
View Profile
Special user
Mick Hanzlik
588 Posts

Profile of Mick Hanzlik
He was told his birthday was later to make him think he was American, and didn't find out the truth until he was much older. Milborne Christopher says it was to give him the security of American citizenship.
Tony Chapparo
View Profile
Special user
Albuquerque, NM
704 Posts

Profile of Tony Chapparo
Houdini went with the American B'date... run with it clyde, no one will call you on it! ; )
Tony Chapparo
pastorclyde
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of pastorclyde
Hehe I plan on it. How often do you get to exploit being the EXACT age (to the day) of Houdini at his death - ON THE EVE OF HIS DEATH DATE! And with the USPS Mailbag Challenge being exactly 100 years ago, its just too ripe to pass up! Now its a matter of exploiting WHERE. Is the museum in Appleton still going since it lost the Radner collection? I'm also wondering about Scranton, PA's museum.

Clyde
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
I Beleive the one in Appleton is still opened. and the one in scranton I think its Opened Seasonal.
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Most of the main members and contributors quit the museum a few years back. Once the museum in their infinite wisdom decided to expose magic/escapes, they sealed their fate.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Interesting Houdini Facts (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL