The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Masked magician actually good? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
IllusionJack
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of IllusionJack
I don't believe the guillotine is on sale, no. It's just there on display. You can walk right up to it though and look at all the various signatures all over it.

--Jack Smile
ibm_usa
View Profile
Special user
In Your Mind, Ky, USA
722 Posts

Profile of ibm_usa
[quote]On 2007-06-30 01:56, IllusionJack wrote:
I know if you go into the magic shop next to Lance Burton's theater at the Monte Carlo here in Las Vegas, there is a guillotine illusion on display autographed by almost every magician you've ever heard of - including Valentino.

--Jack Smile

Can we use it on him? It would do magic a great honor if we could.
"You may think that i only talk of things from the past, you know, history, well magic is history"

-Guy Jarrett

"Curiosity isn't a sin Harry, but it should be exorcised with great caution."

-Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)
http://www.jordanallen-mentalist.webs.com/
Moxahalla
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
715 Posts

Profile of Moxahalla
Let us not forget the ORIGINAL (circa 1980's) "Masked Magician" exposer (aka Hal Marquardt (sp)....who's VHS video was a top rental in stores (exposing: Zig-Zag; Lady to tiger; Suspensions, etc.)

I'll bet it's still on rental shelves...now as a DVD?

Yes, shame on Valentino....but double-shame on the "guy who started it all"!
emanmagic5
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
614 Posts

Profile of emanmagic5
Hey, that is funny as I have that video. My uncle gave it to me a few years ago as a Christmas gift. Maybe collectible...Anyone want to buy it for $65???
ibm_usa
View Profile
Special user
In Your Mind, Ky, USA
722 Posts

Profile of ibm_usa
I know a trick where I cut Val's head off and don't restore it! jk. Has anyone got a clue as for sure that Val is indeed making a come back? if he is I guess we should get ready for a magic war then.
"You may think that i only talk of things from the past, you know, history, well magic is history"

-Guy Jarrett

Steve Fearson
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Steve Fearson
You guys gotta admit.. we'll all be tuning in for the next masked magi special.

We may be the only ones, but admit it.. you'll be there.
http://DownloadMagic.com
The original pay for download magic site.
Check out our new siteeMagic Supply
Lash
View Profile
Regular user
Lansing, MI
160 Posts

Profile of Lash
There is a difference between being a talented perfromer and a good guy. Valentino was good at performing magic and he did have success prior to the specials. But he sold out the art and everyone in it for money. That is what makes him a shameless individual and an un-ethical betrayer.
ibm_usa
View Profile
Special user
In Your Mind, Ky, USA
722 Posts

Profile of ibm_usa
Seriously, if he is making a come back as his supporters are saying he will, what are we going to do? ITs our ART, IT is our HISTORY, it is our Livelyhood that is at stake and are we going to just sit there and let that fiend get away with it? Just think about it, how do you think the Golden Age Magicians would feel if this is what the future holds! they will be glad that people are still into it, but at the same time, very disappointed about how we are just sitting there and letting Val get away with it!

-Guy Jarrett

Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6581 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
What choice do we have? This is America. He is free to do it. Unless he performs something that is patented (and maybe not even then), there's nothing you can do. I think it was handled badly the last time, when some of the societies sent petitions to FOX. They used that in their advertising: "The show ten thousand magicians don't want you to see!" Counterproductive at best--it made MORE people watch. The best thing we can do is ignore it. The reason they quit making new episodes was because people quit watching, once the magic societies stopped clamoring about it.

I don't like exposure--not at all. But if we're gonna get upset about Valentino, well, you better get just as upset at Penn & Teller, Gary Ouellet, Jonathan Pendragon, harry Anderson, the Amazing Jonathan... All have exposed the secrets of tricks on TV. I would submit that Penn & Teller have done it as much or more than anyone. They've exposed the thumb tip, the cups and balls, the linking rings, and a number of big illusions.

And while I am against exposure, guess what? I still do tricks with a thumb tip; I still do cups and balls and linking rings. And people are still amazed and entertained. I am against exposure, but it is not the end of the world.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Ryan_B_Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
Sugar Grove IL
244 Posts

Profile of Ryan_B_Magic
Scott is right about this I'm sure no one here likes exposure but if someone that likes magic sees the secret on TV they will be disapointed if someone likes magic they will not want to know how they do that trick but if you are a begginer of magic wanting to become a magicain than you might like when someone reveals a secret. So they are really not getting any more veiwers I'm sure everyone that was watching it are magicains
ibm_usa
View Profile
Special user
In Your Mind, Ky, USA
722 Posts

Profile of ibm_usa
But I don't think Penn & Teller get as much attention on tv as a ex-illusionist would. I use the thumb tip, but people don't realize it, I saw a few of my friends levitate themselves using the method Val exposed on tv on one of his episodes! I believe that people can remember things once it is throughly explained, Val explained it in detail, while Penn and Teller expose quickly, not allowing anyone to have a moment to soak it in.

-Guy Jarrett

Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Quote:
On 2007-06-20 04:33, gaddy wrote:
That wasn't the *REAL* Masked Magician, that was his stand-in.

You're right, if you look at 59, he's black, or that's how his arms look to me. Take a magician, put him in a costume and mask, suddenly he's The Masked Magician. Brilliant publicity.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Hm, a second carreer chance for me . . a spin off masked magician?
Cards never lie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Masked magician actually good? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL