The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Performance and marketing? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cchapman195
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of cchapman195
I was wondering if anybody has any book suggestions on how to improve on performing and marketing? My ten year old son has put together quite an impressive show and now it is about time to perform. Thanks for any suggestions.
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
If you are lucky, there may be a local club associated with the Society of Young Magicians. You can see how other folks your son's age perform. The magic club is a good place to get performing experience and help with improving your son's magic. It's also just great fun hanging out with like minded people.

The folks there will be more objective as well. Along with not being related they will also have a lot of experience doing and watching magic.

If you can't find an SYM assembly, check for S.A.M. or I.B.M. groups locally.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Most 10 year olds aren't exactly ready to begin their career as a professional magician. Some performing experience would be best to start. You won't find a lot of the normal venues for beginning performers in magic open to a ten year old. What would probably be best is to have him start competing in some youth competitions at magic conventions such as SAM, IBM, WMS, TAOM, and many other such conventions. If he is that good, he will fare well in these competitions and can use that to launch as professional career. I began magic in pre-school, and had instruction from some pretty big top names in magic due to my relationship to one of the greats of the past, and I was nowhere near ready to do professional shows at 10, even though I was good at technical skills (for a 10 year old) at that age. Another place to start would be to get him enrolled in one of Jeff McBrides Master Class/Mystery School courses. He would get vaulable training and experience, some top teachers, and people who are top professional magicians could see him and give you a good evaluation of his ability to compete as a performer at this stage. Not saying it is impossible, but very unlikely that he is ready to start marketing and doing professional shows.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
cchapman195
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of cchapman195
I agree that ten years old is pretty young to start a career.That is why I would like to find some good books if possible to be able to get an idea as how to go about marketing and promoting as to help him in his training towards the possibility as a profesional career in the future. I am also looking for books that help deal with the performance and showmanship details, once again to help in training to become a better performer in just everyday dealings with his magic.Also I would like to agree with you that the Jeff McBride school of magic is essential if you plan on going pro. As it turns out Last Friday the 15th of june my son attended a one-on-one class with Jeff McBride at his home in Las Vegas. Jeff is actually the one that refered us to this web site and was quite impressed By my sons abilitys. He also was the one that said I needed to start him out by doing charity events and booking small gatherings and even showed us how to go about getting started. Jeff did and tought my son an incredible amount to improve his skills but best of all after our five hour session with Jeff we left there feeling like we had a freindship that is a decade old. My son was also in Las Vegas on the 16 of December and got the oppertunity to meet and perform for Criss Angel. After seeing my sons performance Criss's brother went and rounded up a film crew and his entire family and even Johnny Thompson and gathered us all up so they could tape my son performing. We signed a release form for them to possibly air the footage on Criss's Mind Freak this season. David Copperfield used my son on September 16th, Davids 50th birthday, on stage. All this has really got my son motivated to work. that's why I would like to get some books so I can try to stay ahead of the game and have a clue what to work towards. I attempted to load a photo but I don't know how to change the pixels so it wont allow the pictures. The footage of my son with Criss is on Criss angels website in his forum. Its under Luxor Grand Opening. My son is the little biker with the Harley vest.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Well nobody could tell you more about promoting than Johnny Thompson, not only is he a living legend, but he has been this business a very long time, and has promoted many a magician. You ought to listen to the likes of Lance Burton, Penn and Teller, and Criss Angel talk about him. Mark Wilson used to sell on his site the very portfolio he used for years to promote his TV shows and other shows, don't know if it is still available, but if you go to his site http://www.markwilsonmagic.com you can find contact info there to either email Nani or phone her and see if they still have it. Mark has a billion dollar knowledge promoting yourself in magic. He is kind of the Father of the field. Go to the Tricky business forum, there have been a lot of posts there about promoting and marketing, as doing a search of Promoting, and of Marketing in the search engine here. There are a number of programs and books out there, the value of each varies, but you can read a lot of peoples comments on them and figure for yourself. It will depend a lot on they type of magic venue he plans to go into, birthday party magicians are promoted one way, stand-up Parlor promoted another, stage and Illusion another. Not to mention things like doing school shows or doing trade show work, every one of those has its own special nitche of promotion. Is he going to be a closeup , generalist, stage, mentalist, illusionist, escape artist? Each of those areas is promoted differently. If you have contact with Jeff and Johnny you have two people who are very knowledgeable of promotion and where to learn about it. I'd ask them.
One book that will help him with the continued study and formation of his magic is Gerald Edmonson's Ostritch Factor. He is Gerald on the forums, a guy in Denton , TX a must have book for anyone in magic pro or amateur. For performance, you need to learn stage presence, get him in drama classes, you can't learn that well from a book. Uncle Harry (Sr.) and my cousin Harry (Jr.) both commanded the stage. Sr. learned it in the school of hard knocks in Vaudeville, Harry Jr. got his education in radio and TV production and acting and years of experience in that area before ever going onstage as a magician. Acting is learned hands on, not from books. Jeff, Eugene, and Johnny can polish his magic routine or teach him how after that.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
cchapman195
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of cchapman195
I appreitate the info. Johnny Thompson was the one that refered me to McBrides school of magic. Also The reason I want to learn how to market and promote becouse there are several types of magic and I want to make sure as he goes through his learning he can refine his skills accarding to what he chooses.This way I can help to keep him focused in a particular dirrection. Your info has been very helpful and I thank you.
cchapman195
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of cchapman195
I agree that ten years old is pretty young to start a career.That is why I would like to find some good books if possible to be able to get an idea as how to go about marketing and promoting as to help him in his training towards the possibility as a profesional career in the future. I am also looking for books that help deal with the performance and showmanship details, once again to help in training to become a better performer in just everyday dealings with his magic.Also I would like to agree with you that the Jeff McBride school of magic is essential if you plan on going pro. As it turns out Last Friday the 15th of june my son attended a one-on-one class with Jeff McBride at his home in Las Vegas. Jeff is actually the one that refered us to this web site and was quite impressed By my sons abilitys. He also was the one that said I needed to start him out by doing charity events and booking small gatherings and even showed us how to go about getting started. Jeff did and tought my son an incredible amount to improve his skills but best of all after our five hour session with Jeff we left there feeling like we had a freindship that is a decade old. My son was also in Las Vegas on the 16 of December and got the oppertunity to meet and perform for Criss Angel. After seeing my sons performance Criss's brother went and rounded up a film crew and his entire family and even Johnny Thompson and gathered us all up so they could tape my son performing. We signed a release form for them to possibly air the footage on Criss's Mind Freak this season. David Copperfield used my son on September 16th, Davids 50th birthday, on stage. All this has really got my son motivated to work. that's why I would like to get some books so I can try to stay ahead of the game and have a clue what to work towards. I attempted to load a photo but I don't know how to change the pixels so it wont allow the pictures. The footage of my son with Criss is on Criss angels website in his forum. Its under Luxor Grand Opening. My son is the little biker with the Harley vest.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Performance and marketing? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL