The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Hippity Hop Rabbits (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Question, and remember there are only one or two possible answers here. I like Hippity-Hop Rabbits. Who makes the best made version? Note: I'm aware of the very high quality Wolf product, I'm talking rabbits or similar. Thank you.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3724 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
The version that I used to have was EXCELLENT. All-wood construction, and the rabbits were very cartoony-looking. I think it was from India. I see them occasionally on ebay for around $50...they were much better than the old square rabbit pictures.

Steve
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1627 Posts

Profile of randirain
I can tell you wich ones not to buy.
That would be these...
http://www.magiclegends.com/product326.html

This has nothing to do with the company that is selling them.
They were just the first to pop up on google.
A lot of people carry these, and they are from India.
They will not look as good as that picture.
The paint will be horrible, the wood will be warped, and they may or may not even work.

But also...
I just wanted a reason to post.
I was written up in MUM.
June 2007 issue.. page 23.
I'm shameless... I know.

Randi
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Randi Rain
A Fort Worth TX. area performing magician, and a magic inventor. I also like your new avatar.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
What version is that Steve? You can tell me, I never shipped chemicals wrong with you.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3456 Posts

Profile of Julie
Abbott's Hippity Hops are of a very good quality. Sometimes you can pick up a steal on the Big Auction Site.

Julie
MrBrett
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of MrBrett
I find it very hard to come across a good set of this prop. The trick is a good one if you have a solid routine but finding a prop that looks good is difficult. You'll find that most versions have a very "pony" look to them and are not very well made. If you can figure out the mechanism of the trick, I would highly suggest that you build it yourself.

All you need is a scroll saw, plywood (I would use 3/8" mahogany because its durable, lightweight and cheap) and some paints. You can always download a good 2D image of a rabbit or even another animal to make your set unique.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3724 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Contrary to what randirain posted, that's exactly the same set I had and used for years! They weren't warped, they worked perfectly, transported easily, the paint never chipped or dinged, and the graphics are very good for what they are and their price. You don't want to go with some of those plain, square models with the stencilled rabbits. They need character, and the cartoon rabbits have that.

I bought my set at a local magic shop about 17 years ago, and just recently sold them to a very lucky (and HAPPY) Café member. I now use the Wolf set you mentioned in your original post. Needless to say, I like to use the best, and the best at the time were the ones in the posted link. Quality may differ (as it usually does with items from India) between runs, though.

Steve
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
I own four versions from real small to stage giants. My favorite are the medium size rabbits where the reverse are florescent red and yellow. They are big enough for stage, small enough to fit in my Laflin table. I bought these in the 70's and keep them wrapped in a towel and the rabbits in socks (clean ones) so they don't look damaged.

I haven't seen these on any website, so maybe they were discontinued and I don't remember who I bought them from.
Dennis Michael
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1627 Posts

Profile of randirain
You know what Steve...
I used to work at a magic store, and we sold those that I talked about and that you had.

I had to fix every one of them, and I bet whoever you bought it from did too.

So yeah, if you touch up the paint and work with them a little...
They can turn into a decent pair.

Also, they are noisy. You need to put a piece of black felt inside.

Randi
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3724 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
I never had to effect any repair on my HHR set or touchup the paint. I keep my props in immaculate condition. They are inherently a little noisy, but that can be remedied in the handling of the tubes when loaded. Not sure what you mean by "fix them", either...and we've all "worked in magic shops" at one time or another. For me, it was a LONG time ago...probably before you were born...

Again, I'll stick with my Hip Hop Magician...

Steve
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
About Hip Hop Magician...I'm leaning that way because I love the graphics etc.. I spoke to some one who uses them and they brought up an interesting point; that being they are so graphic intensive that kids sitting further away couldn't determine what they were looking at while the rabbits are pretty obvious.

Do you think that the distance is a problem with the Hip Hop Magician or is that just one persons opinion? I'm so confused!
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1627 Posts

Profile of randirain
Well... Steve
If you worked in a magic shop before I was I born, you would have to be at least 51 years old.
Not that it matters or means anything. Just saying.

But to clarify...
I first bought these online before I worked at a magic shop.
Mine were almost OK, I guess.
The bad parts...
The paint was caked on there, as if the person didn't know how to paint or just didn't care.
Plus, there were chips all over the place that I had to touch up.
And the pieces didn't nest together very tightly. There was a pretty good gap.
Oh, and loud... I added felt to the inside.

Then when I worked at the magic shop...
I ordered some HHrabbits from Mak, hoping to get real Mak rabbbits.
But they don't make them any more, I got these.
And they were the worst thing I have ever saw.
Again...
The paint was horrible, and chipped.
The extra pieces were warped and didn't come close to nesting together flat.
And most of all...
The metal clip was not positioned correctly and it didn't even grab the extra piece, on one of them.
So "fix them", you ask.
Yes...
I had to fix them. Very much so!!

I never ordered them again.

So to be honest, I have only seen two of these.
But both were junk, in my opinion.

Randi
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
All I want are some %@#)@#*$ quality #@%@@%& Hippity Hop Rabbits and it turns into a #@*&@! confusing issue!!!

I should have been a mime.
Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1433 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
I bought a wonderful set from John Mendoza several years ago. They are fourteen inches high, beautifully made and totally silent.

The gimmick is not the standard noisy bit. This isn't much help to you MagicSanta, because I no longer know who made them.

But bide your time and make sure the dealer sells you one that works "the other" way.

Andy
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
I'd go with the build-it-yourself option. Again not hard at all. I just finished a set of Hippity Hop Maltese Falcons for my library shows this year and they came out great.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Thanks fellas!
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13411 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Why not just hop around yourself. I'm sure that would be quite a sight.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I like Wolf's the best because of the ending.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Quote:
On 2007-06-19 19:17, MagicSanta wrote:
Question, and remember there are only one or two possible answers here. I like Hippity-Hop Rabbits. Who makes the best made version? Note: I'm aware of the very high quality Wolf product, I'm talking rabbits or similar. Thank you.

Answer: You make the best version yourself. You take your chances when you buy them ready-made unless you can visit a brick&mortar store or a dealer at a convention and check them out beforehand. The advice to make them from 3/8 inch plywood is fine if you like carrying around all that weight. Jim Gerrish makes his "Hippity Hop Whatevers" (on my site) from 1/8 inch hardboard. Most commercial versions are either 1/8 inch hardboard or plywood.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Hippity Hop Rabbits (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL