We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » What's his name again? Ohh yeah it David Blaine :-( (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
I will say that DB was the one who inspired me to get into magic. I have always been interested in magic. But life tended to get in the way. Now that I'm retired I have taken up the hobby of magic.

After doing a lot of reading and learning various effects(cards is my focus) I realized that what DB was doing was really very simple. But he did peak my interest with these simple effects. Also It was the very first time that I had seen a magician on the street and not on stage. This made the effects he was doing all the more convincing.

So, I really don't dislike DB because of this. However what he is now doing, I think falls under the category of stunts.
Magic is a vanishing art.
Marc Spelmann
View Profile
Special user
London U.K.
666 Posts

Profile of Marc Spelmann
Blaine also has a humbleness to him, with his last special Drowned Alive which for what it's worth was far more interesting than Criss's submerged effect although Criss says Blaine copied him (But if you watch Criss's submerged at the end he challenges anyone in magic to do it well Blaine did and then some..) In Blaines special he meets a man who had to break his own arm, then cut his arm off and then find help, Blaine says to him "You are the real magic man." and looks so sincere with amazement.. I just don't get that from Criss, everything sounds scripted, the only emotion we get in his shows is his mothers fear for him which is a little self indulgent..

I spent most of Wednesday with Marc Salem ( A wonderful man ) and he said Criss is a genuine and lovely man, I don't doubt for one minute that he is, I just wish we could see that in his shows.

Blaine for all his oddness does have humility and that is a wonderful thing for people to see..

Spelmann
It's not goodbye, just see you later...
Joshua Lozoff
View Profile
Inner circle
Chapel Hill, NC
1332 Posts

Profile of Joshua Lozoff
Marc,

Wonderful points. I feel the same sincerity from Blaine, and loved the inclusion of some of those interviews on his last special. Personally, I am truly touched by Blaine's love of magic and the commitment he has to a consistent style of presentation. I think he follows all important Nelms and Fitzgee rules better than most "convetional" magicians.

How's it going, Marc? Hope to see you again sometime. Please give Philip and Peter my regards. Also, Free Call opened the second act of my show, and it rocked! Folks loved it. Thanks again.
Joshua Lozoff

joshualozoff.com
Cory Landels
View Profile
Special user
683 Posts

Profile of Cory Landels
I am not ashamed to say that I think David Blaine is a great magician, and an amazing human being. There is no need to complain about someone being famous when you aren't famous yourself. Just look at this picture...

jmuscold
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of jmuscold
I really like Blaine, his delivery and personality are a little dry, but that's what makes him great. He does sit there and jump up and down and pump his fist when he does a trick. He gives a look like, yeah I can do this any time I want.

Its great, look at Blaine and then Chris Angel, 2 totally different styles.

I like Blaine better.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » What's his name again? Ohh yeah it David Blaine :-( (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL