The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Mindfreak Thoughts - Walking on Screwdrivers Episode (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
I haven't watched a full Mindfreak episode for a little while now, but I managed to catch most of last night's show. Let me say now that I am NOT a Criss Angel basher at all - I generally enjoy watching the shows, and I really liked his live show in NYC from years ago. However...

I thought the Screwdriver episode was filled with some cheesy and uncomfortable magic.

I may be missing an effect or two, but from what I remember, here are some thoughts:

Eating a Live Mouse: Umm, ok. Why did he set his little mouse down on the arm of the couch, only to pick him right back up? But a better question, as I believe was asked by Jamie Kennedy - why would you eat your pet mouse?? Guess it was just a shock value piece, but still odd to show Criss eating his little pet like that.

Stealing a Child's Youth: This one kinda started off creepy, and ended really corny. A cute lil girl with a lollipop, happens to approach Criss in the store. The mother gives permission to Criss, to "try something" with her daughter. Then Criss asks her if she ever wonders what she will look like at 20 years old. She enthusiastically responds with a yes. For some reason, this exchange seemed uncomfortable to watch. The girl gathers up some big clothes and puts them on. Criss and the girl stand on top of a display rack and the girl, seen from the back, grows a foot or two. She then turns around and is seen to be a young adult. She hops off the rack and looks in the mirror screaming, "OH MY GOD - I'M TWENTY!! I'M TWENTY!!...MOM!!" Then she runs off screen and you hear her trying to talk to her mom, but her mom is heard to be questioning her with "who are you?"

This was just REALLY corny and odd to me.

Floating Flame: Looked fine I guess, but again, the interaction between Criss and the woman (was that his gf? missed that, if it was stated) was weird. She asks him to "show me something baby". He responds with something to the effect of, "is this the usual deal? I show you something now, and you show me something later?" Eww man, enough with that, just do some magic. A lot of use of the word "baby" in this segment - felt like I was watching the Pam and Tommy video...I mean, I've heard they use that word a lot in that video...uhh, moving on...

Walking on Screwdrivers: Fine I suppose. But I am never really that blown away by the stunts in his show, I mostly watch for the lead-up effects earlier in the show.

I don't know, the whole thing just seemed to be more scripted and goofy than I remember earlier episodes to be. Are there a lot of viewers that enjoy seeing Criss and his lady-friends engaging in baby talk and making sexual comments to each other?

BTW -I only watched this episode because Criss, after divining my name and phone number, personally called me up last week and asked me to watch. If he calls me again, I may have to decline his request and give him a piece of my mind.
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
Hey Song
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Hey Song
Those are my thoughts, exactly.

The screwdrivers and floating flame were fine for me. The Stealing a Child's Youth bit scared me. I thought it was really stupid.
He also did a nice card change in this episode too.

I expected more out of his car-themed episode. I had read hype on the episode that said that he would make a car vanish and re-appear across a parking lot and stuff like that. I was really disappointed.
Instead, he made a Bentley morph into a Lambo. I don't even see how this trick would be amazing to the live audience. I thought it was too obvious.
He also vanished a go-kart while driving it (I thought this was obvious too).
The highlights of the episode were the PK effects and the final vanish at the end of the episode. The vanish seemed well thought out (And yes, I came up with a way that it could have been done live).
trickyat86
View Profile
Loyal user
Pittsburgh, PA
297 Posts

Profile of trickyat86
Yeah I have to agree, the little girl to 20 year old was just corny and I feel bad for any layman that didn't realize that was set up. What gave it away as a set up, as soon as you see the little girl, she's wearing a Criss Angel necklace.

Cool idea, but the whole thing screams stooge!

And the Floating Flame segment, looked cool. But would have been better if he did it for a spectator other then a actress.
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
Quote:
On 2007-06-20 12:52, Hey Song wrote:
The Stealing a Child's Youth bit scared me.

Were you expecting Chris Hanson to walk out from a dressing room with a camera crew?I was.

Quote:
On 2007-06-20 12:52, Hey Song wrote:
He also did a nice card change in this episode too.

Yes, I forgot about this. It was pretty good looking.

- Edwin Louis Cole
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4291 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
I found the "Child to Adult" sequence actually the best part of the show, as it had the most potential to have been developed into a full bizarre presentation. If Criss had shot it like an old Twilight Zone episode, it would've been great.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Krumb
View Profile
Loyal user
Vancouver, WA
300 Posts

Profile of Krumb
The floating flame bit actually appears to be almost some kind of promo material. On most elevators I've been on in Vegas, they have a monitor playing promo spots. This looks like it may have been something to advertise a restaurant or something, and we just happened to get the fat trimmed from it on the show.
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
Quote:
On 2007-06-20 13:55, Philemon Vanderbeck wrote:
I found the "Child to Adult" sequence actually the best part of the show, as it had the most potential to have been developed into a full bizarre presentation. If Criss had shot it like an old Twilight Zone episode, it would've been great.

Did you think the girl's acting was good, when looking into the mirror screaming "I'M TWENTY!!"? Maybe that's what bothered me most.

But actually, I think my biggest problem with this effect, had to do with the "impromptu" nature that it attempted to have. If I saw an illusionist on stage, bring out a small child and apparently age them in the way that Criss did - I think I would accept that as a theatrical piece. I would accept and appreciate the illusion more, because I would feel like I was watching theater based around an illusion.

I think when watching Criss do it, and watching him attempt to sell it as impromptu in the store setting, it was just too much. Are we supposed to really believe that this just happened? Angel really stole away the 12 years of this girl's life, and now her mother has to just accept it? Angel has always sold everything he does as being legit, right? People will accept that maybe, just maybe, a magician can pass a solid through a solid, or vanish a coin, or even read thoughts. But this concept of aging the child 12 years just seemed too absurd to even begin to accept - IMO.

- Edwin Louis Cole
inidyls
View Profile
Veteran user
NYC
315 Posts

Profile of inidyls
I missed most of the show . I forced myself through the first 10 minutes then I had to change the channel before I would hang myself. I can not stand all the talk from his family, agent, Banechek, etc... It's a big turn off. I understand you have to build up the BIG trick or illusion but come on give me a break it's a series.
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
Floating flame? What are you talking about? Then again, I wasn't watching Criss or what he was doing... My attention was else where....

But yes, the thing with the girl was just stupid.

Anyone smell any Sankey during either show?

If I was there I'd have thrown something at him while he was walking on the screwdrivers Smile
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20040 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I didn't see any of this show. I consider myself lucky.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Jazz
View Profile
Veteran user
Mexico City
377 Posts

Profile of Jazz
Didn´t like it at all. The vanishing and morphing cars, well in previuos episodes, they at least tried. Now everything seems too goofy.
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1358 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
Danny, I agree with most of your criticisms. There were a lot of cheesy moments. The walking on screwdrivers made me cringe, which is what he was going for I guess.
Hey Song
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Hey Song
Quote:
On 2007-06-20 19:19, Joey Stalin wrote:
Floating flame? What are you talking about? Then again, I wasn't watching Criss or what he was doing... My attention was else where....

But yes, the thing with the girl was just stupid.

Anyone smell any Sankey during either show?

If I was there I'd have thrown something at him while he was walking on the screwdrivers Smile

Criss did a card trick that involved a paperclip and a saftey pin. It screamed "confederate in the audience!!!" and "Sankey!!!" at the same time.
Adam Milestone
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

Profile of Adam Milestone
Criss could have made aging the girl illusion much better if he had brought it full circle changing the 20 yr. old back into the little girl and saying something along the lines of it was just an illusion. The floating flame although it looked great screemed CGI; just like my friends who watched it! Did the wick look bent over like a eyelet or was it just me? And they used the word "baby" as often as Paris Hilton uses the word "hot"...eww is right baby!;)
Dr. Eamon
View Profile
Inner circle
--------eXtrementalism--------......IT'S ALL IN YOUR MIND.....
1248 Posts

Profile of Dr. Eamon
Is there a video of this effect somewhere?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Mindfreak Thoughts - Walking on Screwdrivers Episode (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL