The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Good books? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Marc Spelmann
View Profile
Special user
London U.K.
666 Posts

Profile of Marc Spelmann
Quote:
On 2007-07-23 11:08, gabelson wrote:
First book I'd read (I feel I've gotten more knowledge from this book than any other single book I've ever read. -And that includes school books! And yet, it's a very easy read)- "Psychological Subtleties" (the first one) by Banachek. I think Mind, Myth and Magic, and Practical Mental Effects are as important as Corinda. And in terms of effects, I don't believe you'll find anything better than "Stunners Plus" by Larry Becker. Every effect is a "worker", and it's got beautiful ready-to-print artwork for the effects that involve it.

Completely agree. Cassidy The Artful Mentalsim of is also a wonderful book.. The man is a genius and has some wonderful theory on what we are claiming to achieve..

It may sound silly but sSelf-Working mMind Reading by Karl Fulves is also a good book for when you are starting out as it has some lovely principles that leave room for presentation which is the hardest thing to develop and get down...

Spelmann
It's not goodbye, just see you later...
caycemindreader
View Profile
Regular user
UK
107 Posts

Profile of caycemindreader
Can't agree about the Fulves book Marc, I think some of the methods are too simplistic for modern audiences. Good to have in your arsenal I suppose but most of the stuff in there is just daft. I have ordered both Mind Myth and Magic and the Mitox this week, but neither has arrived yet so who knows if the hype holds up on those two, I hope so.

Psychological Subtleties is the bootstrap book though. It is the next essential read after 13 Steps. A primer for modern mentalism. The next one is good too, but read no. 1 first. You will have that same 13 Steps feeling and will want to try it all out straight away (don't). I guarantee it.

Cayce
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3992 Posts

Profile of parmenion
Practical Mental Magic by Annemann is a good book to start too.
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12323 Posts

Profile of John C
Chuck Hickok's Mentalism Inc series.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Glossolalia
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of Glossolalia
While Psychological Subtleties is an excellent book, I wouldn't suggest it as others have done. The reason being is that for beginners there is a temptation to take bits of the book and try them as stunts on friends (even though Banachek in the book explains clearly how to use them), ultimately falling a little flat. They are really for enhancing elements of a complete performance. If you do feel yourself drawn to the book and are unsure of quite how to use it then watch Banachek in action in his PSI DVD series after you have read the book.

Anyway I digress, if you are looking for material then the old stuff tends to be the good stuff, and the more familiar you are with it the more you'll realize how many of the new releases are re-hashes with a new presentation. Take a look at Annemann's work (Max Abrams put together a complete works with a short biography).

Personally I think the best thing an aspiring mentalist can do with their money is spend it on developing their acting skills, and perhaps take part in public speaking classes/clubs to develop his confidence, eloquence, wit, and voice.
Marc Spelmann
View Profile
Special user
London U.K.
666 Posts

Profile of Marc Spelmann
Hi Cayce,

I know what you mean and I did mention that it may sound daft but I did pull a few techniques from the book which have been used in those earlier days.

Bare in mind the principles gained were changed sufficiently..

Spelmann
It's not goodbye, just see you later...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Good books? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL