The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » De-gaffing at the end of the day... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mitchb2
View Profile
Elite user
455 Posts

Profile of mitchb2
I'm still new, but last night I realized as I was getting undressed for the day, how much stuff the more experienced must have on your bodies.

Loops, threads, Haunted B***, STS, expensive gimmick coins that I have to make sure don't get spent on a can of Sam's Cola, coins and rubber bands everywhere.

Do you have a procedure? Smile
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3225 Posts

Profile of gaddy
One word: routine.

It takes a real knowledge of your stuff and your presentation more than just knowing how to do a trick or two. When you do strolling or busking even moreso because you need to be as efficient as possible resetting your show.
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
During a regular day I may only carry common items and maybe one or two 'magic assistants' that I can do a few different effects with. Never cards and I'll only do one or two effects if requested or a situation arise.

If I'm off to an event I bring more but not a lot more. Depending on the event and the props I want to use, each item has a place in my pockets or pouch. They also have their place at home in trays, small drawer, cases, etc.

I'm a minimalist, or at least try to be, and prefer props that can be used in/for more than one routine. For instance, I have a few tricks that use elastics and cards alone and in combination. My wedding band and a shoelace are other items I can use alone or in combination. I like using a TT, IT, a Swami, coin ] as well as they are small but versatile.

Versatile Props?
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......27&0
daniel_lachman
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of daniel_lachman
I have a big box that I put my tricks in at the end of the day. When I think I might perform, I put the effects I wish to carry in a jacket with two zippered pockets (I got it at Old Navy I think). Before I perform I always make sure to pull up my sleeves, but the jacket is an excellent place to hold my tricks. You could put your magic coins in one of the zippered pockets and your normal coins in your pants pocket. Then you won't mix them up.
Jlowhy
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of Jlowhy
If you're not in a formal attire, cargo pants will be really helpful because it has so many pockets all over. Wearing that, I can keep everything separately and I know where they go.
J.Robert
View Profile
Loyal user
Gettysburg, PA
240 Posts

Profile of J.Robert
The biggest reason that winter is better than summer: Jackets/Coats=More Pockets! I usually have, at the very least, one deck of normal cards, one or two business card holders that each hold a few packet tricks (NFW, Entourage, WOW, etc.), some coins and a sharpie. At the end of the day I take it all out and examine everything to make sure it is how I want it set up for the next performance. Of course, if you are doing lots of repeat performances you'll want to find effects that can reset on the fly. Oh, and I always have some rubber bands on my wrist! -J.R.
LCBellah
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of LCBellah
It's way too hot here in Mississippi for a coat, vest, etc. I like cargo shorts with all the pockets. Also I found a cell phone or PDA holder at a dollar store that is just the right size for a deck of cards. I can just clip it to my belt.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
A deck of cards and some coins are enough for an impromptu performance - at least for me.

For a gig I do have a nice bag that fits all in.

Andy
Cards never lie
Strangelittleman
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney Aus
184 Posts

Profile of Strangelittleman
My magic is arranged nicely on a shelf in my room so at the end of a night when Ive had a gig - its get home and put everything back in its place. I also check everything before it goes back to make sure its all in correct order, working condition etc. Before a gig I also go through everything to make sure its in order and load up, everything has a place...

My magic is the most (read:only) organized thing in my room though lol
tony2514
View Profile
Regular user
Yorkshire, UK
162 Posts

Profile of tony2514
For home storage of magic paraphenalia, I have a dressing table with everything in it's place in the drawers. For my most commonly used items, I have a small overnight case (so that ifd I go away for a few days, I don't have to pack and unpack) with separate sections for each effect.

However, when I go out to perform I only take one or two gaffes or gimmicks as your audience may get suspicious of you dipping in and out of your pockets all the time. I usually perform in jeans and black T-shirt - nothing to hide, right! Though I rarely use it, the black T shirt is and excellent background to use IT on but also shows up card and coin work really well. I always wear my PK ring because it has multiple applications, only a few of which are PK effects. If I have a coin gimmick or two, I place them in the small 'key pocket' above the right hand pocket. That whay, when I reach in to my right pocket to bull out a handful of change, my thumb can slip into the 'key pocket' at the same time and pul out the gimmick. If I am using a magnetic coin, it goes in with the rest of my change and the PK ring locates it nicely for me. Thus, at the end of the night, I take off my ring and put my one or two gimmicks in their place, no problem.

Notes on spending gimmicked coins.
It is the most gutwrenching feeling when you have spent a lot of money on a gaffed or gimmicked low denomination coin, only to realise that you have spent it for its face value. I know, I ve done it a few times over the years. Now I always:
1 Store them separately from genuine coinage
2 Carry them separately from genuine coinage
3 immediately after use, replace them separately from genuine coinage.
4 When working, try not to spend anything. If I'm really thirsty, I try to use a vending machine as they reject fake coins and spit them out the bottom.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Tony,

I recall seeing a story of a fellow magii who spend his gimmicked coin, only to get it back at the end of the day doing a purchase.

Andy
Cards never lie
mitchb2
View Profile
Elite user
455 Posts

Profile of mitchb2
I keep my gimmick coins in their plastic sleeves. I'm way to paranoid about getting them mixed.
tnscot
View Profile
Loyal user
220 Posts

Profile of tnscot
I have a little velvet drawstring bag that holds my coins, my TT, bang ring, and a couple of keys that I use for a routine. Fits in my front pocket and keeps all of my "magic" together. I donk carry anything else with me as a matter of course.
As Always,
Scot Legdermain
Amon
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago, IL
134 Posts

Profile of Amon
I love working out of a busking pouch, so when I get home from working the streets etc. all my stuff (tt,coins,cards,sponges,lemons etc.) are in their own pockets and ready to go for next time. The buksers pouch Frank Starsini offers at theambitiouscard.com has divided coin pockets, card pockets and more. Otherwise on any given day you see me walking down the street (without my pouch) I'll typically just have a half dollar and maybe a deck of cards, and thumbtip.
here and now
tony2514
View Profile
Regular user
Yorkshire, UK
162 Posts

Profile of tony2514
Quote:
On 2007-06-22 04:01, Andy the cardician wrote:
Tony,

I recall seeing a story of a fellow magii who spend his gimmicked coin, only to get it back at the end of the day doing a purchase.

Andy

Now that's Magic!!!
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
When I just go out for the day I bring in my pockets.......nothing! Absolutely nothing unless I am heading to a gig or to hang out with other magicians. The only thing I'll do impromptu anymore is the Ring Thing, which is no problem because I wear a ring anyway. Years ago I remember walking out of the house weighed down from all the props in my pockets. I think the newer you are the magic, the more you're going to carry until you develop enough of a reputation for being a magician, and then you can bring less and less.
tony2514
View Profile
Regular user
Yorkshire, UK
162 Posts

Profile of tony2514
Brian's right about that.

You wouldn't expect a dotor to go out to dinner with a stethoscope hanging out of her back pocket or a cop to go to the gym with his handcuffs clipped to his shorts, but you do find magicians who go out shopping (or whatever) loaded up to do a gig. Why?

If an off duty doctor is called upon in an emergency, they can still save a life if needs be. Off duty cops get involved in foiling robberies and assaults all the time - their training kicks in and even without the paraphenalia of their job, they perform well.

So why do some magicians walk around in their everyday lives loaded up with gaffed coins and gimmicked decks and production wallets, etc.? Maybe they do not feel confident enough in their impromtu abilities to perform well when asked on the spur of the moment to do a trick. Maybe they kack the confidence to refuse to do a trick when asked to do so as if they were a performing monkey.

Comedians and magicians are unlike most other professionals in that we are often asked, when not 'at work' to do our jobs for free in front of people.

I was once at a dinner party where there were a few midical and legal professionals around the table. This one lady who was a gastro-intestinal surgeon kept asking me to "show us a trick" and "do another" which is very flattering, but takes you out of the loop socially and conversationally. However, I performed like a good monkey all evening, wishing I'd had the nerve to pull down my pants and say "You're a proctologist, right Do me a favour and just shove your fingers up there and see what you can find, eh?" Of cousrse, I didn't.

Since then, I have developed the confidence to say to people, "Look, I'm off duty" when I don't feel it's appropriate (performing magic in a social setting puts you centre stage and that is not always desired) or even if I simply don't feel like it.

So, no need to shove your doves up your sleeve for a trip to the market!

(NB. One small confession - I go nowhere without my PK ring - sorry!)
Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
Actually the more experienced you are the less you need to carry.
I've worked gigs with 3 coins, 2 rubber bands and a stack of business cards, with pen (and had a great show with great magic. Of course I had other stuff in my case, just didn't need it). For carrying few props nothing can beat billet work, just your cards and a pen, things you'd carry with you anyway. Or learning some good coin work, you can always lay your hands on a coin... and a pen again...

As for procedure, it's dump tricks into my box of current working effects.

For everyday life I currently carry "No Smoking" because of the current politics in the UK, and it being an outstanding routine. It's got me work before, and I'm sure it will again. But that's all I'll carry away from everyday life items.

Paul
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » De-gaffing at the end of the day... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL