The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Quick street magic + tips? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Alex Kiryakakis
View Profile
New user
St. Cloud, MN / Austin, TX
11 Posts

Profile of Alex Kiryakakis
Hey, I've never performed on the street before. I was wondering if anyone has ever just gone up to on or two peoploe, shown them a few *amazing* tricks, and then let them on their way, and gotten tipped? I was thinking of maybe ending with a money trick, pen thru dollar or some other fancy thing, and hoping they'd let me keep the money? what do you guys think?

Smile
They were shooting off fireworks through the teargas down on the waterfront, the sky exploding in grenades of color. Whatever it is that pulls the pin, that hurls you past the boundaries of your own life into a brief and total beauty, it is enough.
<
Carlos Hampton
View Profile
Veteran user
360 Posts

Profile of Carlos Hampton
What you are talking about is not street magic, it is close-up magic done in the streets.

Go to the close-up section and lurk there, you might find what you are looking for.

Good Luck
Alex Kiryakakis
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

well it's magic done in the streets=street magic....I understand a lot of street magicians like to gather a lot of people for their shows and then pass the hat around, but I'm wondering if anyone has advice on getting tips from single people? Smile
They were shooting off fireworks through the teargas down on the waterfront, the sky exploding in grenades of color. Whatever it is that pulls the pin, that hurls you past the boundaries of your own life into a brief and total beauty, it is enough.
<
MagiUlysses
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City
502 Posts

Profile of MagiUlysses
Greetings and Salutations Alex,

I don't think you're going to make the kind of money you want to off-set the time and work necessary to perfect a trick or two that people will give you money for performing.

Please don't do David Blaine assault-style magic on the streets. Like Carlos said, it's not street magic, and unless you've put in the time that Blaine has (my tip of the hat to Blaine's talents, skills and energy), you're going to run off more people that you attract, and you are not going to make any appreciable amount of money. Blaine does close-up or strolling magic with a TV crew in tow.

Unless you have his connections, or connections to connections like his, and talents, skills and energy like his, you are not going to make even a meager living on the streets doing guerrilla-style magic.

Now, if you have enough tricks in your repertoire, and you have a name for yourself in whatever part of the country you're in, you can make some decent money doing corporate parties, receptions and restaurants. Go back to the Magic Café Forum Index and find those forums and have at it.

Having seen your web site, or at least the web site you advocate, I don't think the above is for you. If you want to figure out how to make a living off the streets you've got two options: 1.) find, buy, borrow or steal the books and videos, by the likes of Cellini and Gazzo as well as others that have made their livings on the street, that have been recommended on this forum, study them and hit the streets running; or you can start working your way through the 193 other threads in this forum. I am only a recent contributor, but have been lurking on this thread for nearly a year, and I have read nearly every thread (yes, even those about Blaine, where I learned much, including what not to do). I can honestly say that if you carefully read all the material in this forum, apply what is useful to you and ignore the rest, you can and will make a living with magic on the streets.

Good luck and have fun with your research. The journey, in this case, is nearly as much fun as the destination.

Joe in KC
Alex Kiryakakis
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

thank you joe...very helpful! Smile
<
Carlos Hampton
View Profile
Veteran user
360 Posts

Profile of Carlos Hampton
Alex in your process of buying, borrowing, copying or staling the Cellini and Gazzo material don't forget to stop at the DVD video section of the forum where I just advertised a street combo.

Good luck in your endeavor.

Carlos
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
There is nothing wrong with doing hit and run magic, but drop the idea of making money doing it. It looks to mutch like begging. as you are putting to mutch presher on one or two people. save the table hopping for table hopping.

If you are having fun and the people you are dooing magic for are also then that is all that counts. Smile

OK, If all you cair for is the cash, (who MEEE?!?) lets do the math.
You do a trick for 2 people, boyfrend/girfrend, and you take 20 min to stop them, set up the trick, do it, and wrap up.

I do a show for 30 boyfrend/girlfrends (60 people) show about the same lenth.

now the boyfrends All want to impress his girl so he gose for his walet...

If you get 100% of the boyfrends to drop a buck, (you won't) and I get 50% to do the same, I will make as mutch in about 20 min. as you did all day. and for less work, and I would have put less strees on the people in my audance.

DO the hit and run theater, it is LOTS of fun. just be realistic about your goals.
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
Pasteboardmoves
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of Pasteboardmoves
Hoping to keep the buck you did a trick with is not magic and certainly not art. It's begging.

Shame,

John.
Alex Kiryakakis
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

I don't quite think that deserves "shame" as a response....all street performers are hoping to get some money...keeping the money you did a trick with (I"ll remind you, it's completely voluntary of them to offer it) was just an idea I thought might work well...I don't see how it's begging if I never ask for it....maybe yo misunderstood what I mean. sorry if I was unclear Smile
<
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Don't knock begging...it can be an artform in itself, and it helps thicken the skin.

In my book Street Magic I describe the ESP Survey, a similar guerrilla magic approach I used in the sixties when the performing conditions were not right for street magic.

Either the weather was too cold for sleight of hand, or the police were too on my back for me to draw a crowd without being busted.

Basically, it involved a stack of business cards and a pencil and an undernail writer (swami gimmick). I would act as if taking a survey as people walked by, "Do you believe in ESP? Thank you. Do you believe in ESP? Thank you."

I would seem to be making notes as this went on. Eventually, someone would stop and ask what I was doing. At that moment I knew I had someone interested in ESP. "I'm doing experiments in extra-sensory perception." I would write down a number on the back of a card. "Name a three digit number..."

The spectator would respond, "346" I would hand them the card, it read "346" "Can you help with our research? Got any change you can spare?"

This approach was usually good for five bucks a hit.
Pasteboardmoves
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

You borrow a bill, do a trick and then stand there with it panting like a stray dog. You might as well pull a gun on them.

No, but seriously. I was doing a trick for my mates in the town once and two people stopped and the guy said "What's this, a trick?". So I did a couple of tricks for them and before he left he said "If you were old enough I'd but you a beer". He didn't give me anything nor did I ask or give the impression I wanted anything. so even if your performance warrants a tip you can't relie on two people at a time.

If you want to make money on the streets performing then you need to perform legit street magic, people will tip smaller then individuals but there's a crowd so the income is bigger in the long run. And as far as tipping goes it's all about crowds, assuming you can gather a crowd. People are like lemmings, and tend to follow one another, one person tips, and then another follows, and then another, et...

You need to do some research on crowd management (and gathering a crowd) before hitting the streets.

John.
Alex Kiryakakis
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

ummmm....perhaps you misunderstand again. What I'm thinking is more along these lines: I do my last trick with a borrowed bill, when the trick is finished, I hand it immediately back to them. My theory is, since the money is out already, once in awhile they'll say "that was really good, why don't you keep it?" kepp in mind, I'm not looking to make huge amounts of money doing this...a)I like the human interaction, person to person, and b)I live on about 2 dollars a day, so..... Smile
<
Pasteboardmoves
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Well, why don't you put your theory into play?

And I think that has crossed everyones mind at one time or another.

John.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2394 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Guys,

Go back and read Whit’s post. Then read it again. Then think about what he just gave you and thank him. He just dropped a big fat juicy steak dinner in front of you and you overlooked it for the baked potato. Remember the baked potato is a side dish. A good steak is forty bucks plus tip.

I paid money for what he just gave you guys and it was worth every Penny. Please, read it again and go forth and do good magic.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
PER DAY:

The average bank robber gets $3200.00
The average embezzeler gets $125,000.00
The guy on 19th st. begging gets $80.00

The average magician on the warf gets $100-$500 or more.

The first three go to jail.

The fourth goes out for steak and lobster.

What does this have to do with your question?
I don't know. Do you? Smile

Thanks Whit,

That was a juicy tidbit. Is the book currently available? Also I Like your new Mental Epic board alot! Great ending!
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Quick street magic + tips? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL