The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » John Taylor's SUSPENDED ANIMATION (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

P.H
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of P.H
Well, I have just seen what I believe to be the greatest version of Metamorphosis ever created. It's called SUSPENDED ANIMATION.

I went to see a Magic show at the Mercure Resort in Australia, called Mysterium and was blown away by the whole show and this illusion in particlular. I have never seen this illusion before and had no idea what was going to come next. The exchange floored me. I didn't even know it was going to happen, surprising. And the extra girl kicker, Wow! GREAT STUFF.

I have since found out this illusion is for sale. Pity I don't do illusions, but love watching. I would have to say it was one of the most amazing illusions I've seen in years.

Has anyone else seen this illusion, and who else is performing it.

10/10 John Taylor for inventing this amazing creation, and nice to get to meet you after the show.

Look out for this amazing performer.

Peter Harding Smile
IllusionJack
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of IllusionJack
Hey --

Can you perhaps explain the illusion a little more? What happens in it?

Jack
P.H
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of P.H
Ok Jack,
Here's what I saw.

John's assistant walks up a set of stairs and is encased in a clear casket on a slender stand high above the floor.

Her hand remains visible at all times through a hole in the front of the glass box.

Then the glass casket gets covered with a cloth with a hole in the front so you can still see the girl's hand.

John walks up to the hand that's sticking out of the covered box and gives her an end of the special exchange cloth to hold onto.

Then John opened the cloth out in a beautiful original way lifting up the exchange cloth with one arm and when it came down he instantly changed places with his assistant and his hand was seen sticking out of the covered box high above the stage.

The other assistants ripped off the cloth covering the box to find John Taylor inside to a HUGH audience reaction.

The stairs get put under the prop, door opens, and John runs down to take a bow.
(The audience went nuts. They loved it.)

Then when you think it's all over, John's assisants covered up the box again and John walks over and rips off the box cloth, for an unexpected finale of a second girl appearing in the casket!

I think the big thing about this illusion is you don't know it is going to be a sub trunk type effect.

The exchange was very unexpected even to the other magicians in the audience.

When you put a girl in a wooden sub trunk and go stand on top with a big round hoop waving it around and counting 1, 2, 3, what do you think the audience is thinking?
Look, I love metamorphosis, but I'm just so glad to see someone doing something different. Something better.

It's hard to beat the original Sub Trunk, but Suspended Animation has my vote.

It had me fooled.

Peter Harding
IllusionJack
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of IllusionJack
Sounds like a great illusion. Wish I could see a picture of it. I myself am trying to come up with ways of doing this illusion differently. I definately want there to be some distance between the two points, rather than standing on top of the box. The glass case sounds like a cool new twist too, and the hand always showing is also an interesting idea.

Jack
LeeAlex2002
View Profile
Inner circle
1006 Posts

Profile of LeeAlex2002
Unfortunately I saw this on French tv performed by Hans Klok (bought from Jhn Taylor).

I won't say any more, but Hans did not do it justice....
Yours Magically,
Lee Alex

http://www.magic2wear.com
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Saw Hans do the illusion on "Plus ....Cabaret" from France, didn't think he did such a bad job.

Blair marshall
"ShaZzam!"

P.S. His Modern Cabinet using a phone booth cabinet was also amazing!
David Goldrake
View Profile
Loyal user
GD-Luxembourg
225 Posts

Profile of David Goldrake
Dear members,

I have not seen John Taylor perform his creation, hence I cannot judge it. However I have seen Hans perform it live. I thought he performed it very well ! He also did not produce a second girl at the end of the illusion, which I think is better than giving the audience a clue by making "the evidence" appear.

Best regards,

D
brownbeauty
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of brownbeauty
Suspended Animation is built by Bill Smith "Magic Ventures" in Las Vegas. Ads for it have been in Magic Magazine.
John Taylor
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
136 Posts

Profile of John Taylor
First off, Thankyou P.H ~ Peter Harding for your kind posts it was nice meeting you after the show.
From David Golddrake

I have not seen John Taylor perform his creation, hence I cannot judge it. However I have seen Hans perform it live. I thought he performed it very well ! He also did not produce a second girl at the end of the illusion, which I think is better than giving the audience a clue by making "the evidence" appear.

David,

I can see your point, and are glad other illusionist do things different ways, that's what make magic interesting. Murray Hatfield from Canada, does it as well without the second girl finish and it works great for him.

I can see from a magicians point of view it's cleaner magic and leave's nothing to the imagination, but I think we are giving the audience a bit to much credit here, out of the 500 + shows I've performed S.A to date I've only ever had 1 person work out part of the illusion,(ONE TO MANY YES) -but that was only after they had seen my show many times in a row on 9 different days at a theme park, up-close with no special lighting in daylight conditions. - So I think really alot depends on your venue, staging, and how good your performance and routine is.

After every show I always have people come up to me and comment on S.A,(It's without fail the most talked about thing in my show) ~and although the exchange, is the best part of the effect,
~I even somtimes have people saying to me,
Ohhh, and that other girl appearing at the end in the box,that was amazing!!

So, I think as long as your not giving anything away,
It's whatever works best for your S.A routine. - Just my thoughts anyway...

I look forward to reading more of your posts.

Best regards to you all.

John Taylor
Mysterium Global Productions
Planet Earth
View Profile
New user
usa
2 Posts

Profile of Planet Earth
I have just seen the SUSPENDED ANIMATION ILLUSION on video and - it's sensational, -
I want it.

Has anyone else seen it performed, I have only seen John Taylor and Hans Klok perform the illusion, and I must say I like how John Taylor performed it best. -But Hans did do a fine job with it-

I think John Taylor's a great performer, with some exciting illusion ideas.

Well done Mr Taylor, your Suspended Animation creation is one of the best illusions I have ever seen!

And thanks also to Bill Smith Magic Ventures for building and providing this great illusion to other performers.

Now I know where to buy it from:>
John Taylor
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
136 Posts

Profile of John Taylor
Planet Earth,
Thanks for your kind words.
If I can help with an questions you may have in regards to S.A, feel free to contact me.

Kind regards,
John Taylor
Murray Hatfield
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
149 Posts

Profile of Murray Hatfield
As one of the other performers who uses the Suspended Animation I highly recommend this prop. It is one of the best build illusions I've ever owned, and I've owned lots.

I also fully agree with John in that it was the most talked about illusion on my Canadian tour. It's great and again - thank-you John for a great addition to the illusionists arsenal.

Murray Hatfield
LanceRich
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of LanceRich
Out of curiosity, Where are most performers using the illusion?

As an opener? Closer? Mid-show piece?
Gert Piet
View Profile
New user
The Netherlands
27 Posts

Profile of Gert Piet
Hans Klok uses it as a closer.

Gert
John Taylor
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
136 Posts

Profile of John Taylor
Hey Murray,

Thankyou for your kind words about the SUSPENDED ANIMATION illusion.
Hope all's going well for you and Teresa.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Out of curiosity, Where are most performers using the illusion?

As an opener? Closer? Mid-show piece?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lance

Most including myself are using it as a strong show closer.

I think Murray Hatfield is to only one that uses it in the opening to his show.

But It can be used anywhere in the program.

John Taylor
Murray Hatfield
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
149 Posts

Profile of Murray Hatfield
Hi John,

You're right - I did use it as the opener on my tour. I did this for two reasons.

First because it allowed us to open with a fast-paced shocker that was new to our audiences. Secondly I like to close with an illusion that involves all of my dancers and we had one that played "bigger" with a re-appearance in the audience.

This way we had a killer opener and closer. It worked great!

Murray
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » John Taylor's SUSPENDED ANIMATION (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL