The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Smoke in goblet (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
WagsterMagic
View Profile
Special user
Myrtle Beach, SC
639 Posts

Profile of WagsterMagic
I was wondering how do you do the effect where you light flash paper in a glass and the glass fills with smoke. Heres a clip from on magic routine. He does it right around the 50 sec. point.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=G7hmZ--BkUA&a......;search=

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Best
Brandon
The Wagsters: World Class Magic & Illusion
www.wagstermagic.com
stuartmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Derby England (UK)
226 Posts

Profile of stuartmagic
Brandon, This uses a small smoke pellet inside a piece of flash paper. I have used these in the past but they were a larger version that was used with a dove pan and produced a very large amount of smoke. Not too sure where you can obtain them nowadays as I got mine from The Magic Hands company which I believe is no longer in business.

Hope this helps,

Stuart.
graywolf
View Profile
Special user
South carolina
631 Posts

Profile of graywolf
Black gunpowder in a piece of flash paper works better then a smoke pellet..Howard
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Just wondering whether the heat from the flash paper and gun powder will break the glass, Howard?
Drew Manning
View Profile
Special user
Dallas, Texas
913 Posts

Profile of Drew Manning
I don't think it would break it, but I would suspect that it would only be good for one or two shows before a new glass is needed. You should see what I did to a porcelain dish after only 3 practices of Fire Flight.
I live my life for a layer of ice
Just like those poured by my bartender vice
Any taste of vermouth would be really sublime,
When you have a good martini time!

-The Reverend Horton Heat
WagsterMagic
View Profile
Special user
Myrtle Beach, SC
639 Posts

Profile of WagsterMagic
Do ya'll have any other suggestions?

Best
Brandon
The Wagsters: World Class Magic & Illusion
www.wagstermagic.com
graywolf
View Profile
Special user
South carolina
631 Posts

Profile of graywolf
It will not break it. It only takes a small amount of gunpowder to get a lot of smoke.

Howard
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Quote:
On 2007-06-23 21:47, Drew Manning wrote:
I don't think it would break it, but I would suspect that it would only be good for one or two shows before a new glass is needed. You should see what I did to a porcelain dish after only 3 practices of Fire Flight.



What happened to the porcelain dish, Drew? Became black and unwashable? LOL
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Quote:
On 2007-06-24 10:24, graywolf wrote:
I will not break it.It only takes a small amount of gunpowder to get a lot of smoke.Howard


How much of the gun powder and flash paper (size) did you use, Howard? Does the smoke stay inside the glass? For how long? Thanks!
Drew Manning
View Profile
Special user
Dallas, Texas
913 Posts

Profile of Drew Manning
Quote:
On 2007-06-25 14:27, JamesTong wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-06-23 21:47, Drew Manning wrote:
I don't think it would break it, but I would suspect that it would only be good for one or two shows before a new glass is needed. You should see what I did to a porcelain dish after only 3 practices of Fire Flight.





What happened to the porcelain dish, Drew? Became black and unwashable? LOL







Partiall. The once white bowl now has charred black spots and a nice carmelized sort of color to it Smile It was no big loss as I knew that something like that would happen.

Part of that however may have to do with the size and type paper I use. The stuff our local shop sells is much heavier weight paper than the normal tissue thin stuff I've gotten from other places. This stuff is heavy like a commercial paper towel, so it takes less of it to get the same amount of flame. It took me a few trial runs to figure that out.
I live my life for a layer of ice
Just like those poured by my bartender vice
Any taste of vermouth would be really sublime,
When you have a good martini time!

-The Reverend Horton Heat
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Wow, you have a good effect there - white dish to polka dot dish - unique and never before seen in any magic shop LOL.

Yup, because of the difference in paper, trial runs are really needed to determine the right amount to use. I guess you have found the right proportion now?
mattmccoy
View Profile
Loyal user
203 Posts

Profile of mattmccoy
You can get the smoke pellets at:

http://www.theatrefx.com

Good Luck!

-Matt
Drew Manning
View Profile
Special user
Dallas, Texas
913 Posts

Profile of Drew Manning
Quote:
On 2007-06-26 18:31, JamesTong wrote:
Wow, you have a good effect there - white dish to polka dot dish - unique and never before seen in any magic shop LOL.

Yup becuase of the difference in paper trial runs are really needed to determine the right amount to use. I guess you have found the right proportion now?




Well sort of. Fire Flight is a nice effect, but it doesn't fit hte show we're working on so, it's been put away for the time being. I can do it competently, but it's not something I see myself using anytime soon in my show.
I live my life for a layer of ice
Just like those poured by my bartender vice
Any taste of vermouth would be really sublime,
When you have a good martini time!

-The Reverend Horton Heat
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Could you briefly describe the Fire Flight effect, Drew? Sounds interesting to me.
Drew Manning
View Profile
Special user
Dallas, Texas
913 Posts

Profile of Drew Manning
James, I don't want to steer this thread off topic more than I have already, so I'll PM you some details Smile
I live my life for a layer of ice
Just like those poured by my bartender vice
Any taste of vermouth would be really sublime,
When you have a good martini time!

-The Reverend Horton Heat
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Thanks, Drew. I agree that we should not steer this thread off topic. Awaiting your PM.
ibm_usa
View Profile
Special user
In Your Mind, Ky, USA
722 Posts

Profile of ibm_usa
Quote:
On 2007-06-25 15:09, Drew Manning wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-06-25 14:27, JamesTong wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-06-23 21:47, Drew Manning wrote:
I don't think it would break it, but I would suspect that it would only be good for one or two shows before a new glass is needed. You should see what I did to a porcelain dish after only 3 practices of Fire Flight.





What happened to the porcelain dish, Drew? Became black and unwashable? LOL







Partiall. The once white bowl now has charred black spots and a nice carmelized sort of color to it Smile It was no big loss as I knew that something like that would happen.

Part of that however may have to do with the size and type paper I use. The stuff our local shop sells is much heavier weight paper than the normal tissue thin stuff I've gotten from other places. This stuff is heavy like a commercial paper towel, so it takes less of it to get the same amount of flame. It took me a few trial runs to figure that out.





My mom will send me to Hell and back again if I ever attempted that. ( I love trying out and inventing new magic.)
"You may think that i only talk of things from the past, you know, history, well magic is history"

-Guy Jarrett

"Curiosity isn't a sin Harry, but it should be exorcised with great caution."

-Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)
http://www.jordanallen-mentalist.webs.com/
Drew Manning
View Profile
Special user
Dallas, Texas
913 Posts

Profile of Drew Manning
I'm a big boy now and I don't live with my mom, but my wife will still raise an eyebrow from time to time Smile

When I did live at home, my mom banned me from using any flash effects in the house after a couple "incidents"
I live my life for a layer of ice
Just like those poured by my bartender vice
Any taste of vermouth would be really sublime,
When you have a good martini time!

-The Reverend Horton Heat
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22003 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I have answered this several times, this method of smoke in glass is on a video by Mehdi Talbi, Cabaret Lecture. You can get it here: http://www.camirandmagic.com/vl_020.html

This uses a powder and flash paper to set it off. He also has several other flash and fire effects he explains. After you find out how it works, you have to find the powders.

This is only in tape format.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
ibm_usa
View Profile
Special user
In Your Mind, Ky, USA
722 Posts

Profile of ibm_usa
Quote:
On 2007-07-07 15:11, Drew Manning wrote:
I'm a big boy now and I don't live with my mom, but my wife will still raise an eyebrow from time to time Smile

When I did live at home, my mom banned me from using any flash effects in the house after a couple "incidents"




Then I would send myself to Hell and back again if the thing didn't turn out right!
"You may think that i only talk of things from the past, you know, history, well magic is history"

-Guy Jarrett

"Curiosity isn't a sin Harry, but it should be exorcised with great caution."

-Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)
http://www.jordanallen-mentalist.webs.com/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Smoke in goblet (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL