The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Here is me defending hypnosis. Also I'll tell you something I've struggled with. I was afraid to. » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Eddini_81976
View Profile
Inner circle
2183 Posts

Profile of Eddini_81976
(Below a friend of mine wasn't really attacking hypnosis. She just said she read this book, which I've never heard of, that said hypnosis was the worst thing you could do to someone. I with just the bit I know defended and explained what HYPNOSIS REALLY ID AND IT'S SAFETY. Also most know of my Mental illness and most have not judged me, (which you SHOULD NOT anyway as it's a illness like my asthma is a illness), and it's because of STIGMA attached to the Mentally ill (Great **** JOB Movies...lol). Almost ALL violent crimes are commited by NON mentally ill people. Anyway the other thing you'll find me sharing about IS A ILLNESS TO A SERIOUS ONE if not treated.

Stefany Wrote...

"Just some food for thought - have you ever read "Dianetics?" Anyways, it talks about hypnotism and how it is very bad for a person being hypnotized.

Not sure if you are interested in learning about it? I have been hypnotized before though but after I read Dianetics, I learned it was one of the worst things you could do to a person (Not intentional by any means).

Ask me if you have any questions - you seem like an interesting guy and might enjoy that kind of book?

I don't mean for this message to be mean at all so I hope you don't take it that way "

I responded...

"For years I've wanted to share about it, so, so many times but I thought I may get in trouble as some may've found it too personal. Well I feel we're like family and I TRUST you guys. I hope you realize trust is VERY HARD. It it were to be takened down it would be discriminatory, as lots talk about illnesses here. I'd be very supportive if someone shared the same thing and I'd ENCOURAGE them. I think now finally that I'm happy, and doing something about it, is a great time. This girl knows me well, and it was originally WROTE to her. I'm just happy. Anyway I'll quote her.)

Actually I've read all on it and am getting my certification, next month. It's very safe. It's been accepted by the medical community since 1948. I'm in Hypnotherapy, and it's helped. I've seen so many Therapist as since I was 13 I've suffered from depression. None have helped since this. I'm on medication as well. Some people say that trance doesn't even exist. It sure does though. They've done MRI, EEG, and Brain Scans. It's more expensive, but you can accomplish in Hypnotherapy in 4-6 sessions what it would take in one year with with traditional Psychotherapy. I've read a whole lot on Psychology and on Psychiatry. My Hypnotherapist is also a Psychotherapist, Certified Alcohol, and Drug Couselour, Marriage & Family Therapist, Psychiatric Social Worker, is a M.S.W., A.C.S.W., B.C.D., D.C.S.W., is Licsenced in both N.H., and Mass. She will be 72 in July, and has done Hypnotherapy for over 30 years. She was doing just Psychotherapy for years but found she just wasn't reaching everyone. She went to a Hypnosis seminar and learned from there. She actually studied under 4 people, 4 schools of thought.

Trance is a NATURALLY occuring state. They say that we are in trance probably at LEAST 10 times a day or more. You ever get into a movie or book so much you kinda lose where you are? You ever daydream? Have you ever been driving like on automatic pilot, following another vehicle and found you've missed your exist, those ARE ALL SIGNS OF TRANCE. Out of ALL OTHER METHODS of quitting smoking, Hypnotherapy scored the highest. You see you have TWO MINDS, your conscious mind (the part of our mind that is the most judgemental, and analytical) of incoming information. Our subconscious is who we REALLY ARE, where we hold our mostly deeply held beliefs, our deepest emotions, how we react, and "Our Memory Bank". Scientists will even tell you that we ONLY use 10%-12% of our brain. In Hypnotherapy, you relax the person through what is called a "Hypnotic Induction". They get so relaxed that the conscious mind goes in the background and the subcoscious (The Right-Hand Brain), the subconscious is more accepting of suggestions. In Hypnosis however you can NEVER make anyone do anything against their morals. I've been studying Hypnosis for like 4 months now. I've successively put 8 people into hypnosis. You have 6 levels of depth.

I also study NLP, which is Neuro-Linguistic-Programming. Anyway people are fearful of hypnosis and there are SO MANY misconceptions, because of movies and so on. People think if you go into Hypnosis you open "Pandora's Box". They see the subconscious as this scary place that you don't want to open. Freud kinda started that. Actually one guy sued this really GREAT British Hypnotist Paul McKenna, saying after he was a volunteer that months later he was diagnosed with Schizophrenia. IT WAS LAUGHED OUT OF COURT. If you know Psychiatry like I do, you know it doesn't happen like this. VERY RARELY there is something called a "Abreaction" that can happen. It's like with medicine you can RARELY have a adverse reaction. RARELY someone has something in their subconscious that they haven't dealt with and when under hypnosis, they can have a fearful reaction, cry or get emotional. MOST times when that happens which is like only 1 out of 100 people they NEED to work out that emotion. With a TRAINED Hypnotherapist a person who is havng a abreaction the hypnotist will bring them out in less than 10 seconds. Also as a formality both Stage and Clinical Hypnotist use the phrase "I'll now hypnotize you", that is FALSE. All Hypnosis, is SELF HYPNOSIS. The person following the directions of the hypnotist, hypnotizes themselves. It's like this the person is the one who is in the driver's seat and the hypnotist is the one with the map in the passengers seat, giving the directions.

The ONLY reservations I had about getting into Hypnosis is that I'm a pretty strong Catholic. I did research though and they accept it. Some religions believe in Hypnosis you leave your mind vunerable, and that bad things can happen. That's VERY FAR from the truth though. Actually in Hypnosis you become MORE AWARE, and your senses are heightened. I'm happy, my Mom, has been a smoker since like 14 or 15. She's tried the patch and so on. Anyway she too was nervous about hypnosis. Her and I watched Youtube videos together, and I've told her everything I've learned. She has accepted it. You see my Dad died of Lung Cancer. I myself 10 years ago luckily with the use of the patch I quit smoking. The guy she is going to yes is expensive, his success rate is 95%, and he has a garantee, not money but if you relapse he'll do free sessions with you. Also HE WILL NOT do it and accept there money unless he knows they're serious about smoking.

He does a free half a hour consultation, with suggestibility testing. He gave my Mom the green light. He charges $450.00, DOESN'T accept insurance. He doesn't want it to be too cheap or easy or people will be like, "Well the guy is so cheap, I'll smoke today and just get hypnotized again". Also people spend on average about $2,000.00 a year so it's cheap in a way and it saves your life MOST OF ALL. Like me she's on disability so he took $50.00 off, and just asks for $200.00 up front then a payment plan of the rest. I'm so happy and proud of her I'm putting $75.00 of my own money.

Yes I have Bipolar "Manic Depression" Disorder, Panic Attack Disorder, and BAD Opiate (Pain Killer) Addiction, 10 years now. You see I've tried meetings, detoxes, rehabs, and so on in the past. I've NEVER done Methadone Maintenance though. I was so scared of telling my Psychiatrist. You see because of my Panic Attacks I take Klonopin, which is addictive. However I've NEVER misused or abused it EVER. I DISAGREE that if you're a addict you need to stay away from all things addictive. I drink maybe 3 times a year and have never had a problem. Anyway I was afraid to tell my Psychiatrist, because I thought he'd take the Klonopin away from me. It's the ONLY thing that works. I've tried other medications. My Panic Attacks were so bad I lived in fear and lots of times was afraid to leave my house. Anyway it was my Hypnotherapist / Therapist, who talked me into telling my Psychiatrist. I did and he was very understanding, and all my medicines have stayed the same. They both reccomended Methadone Maintenance, and FINALLY my family is happy as this really is MY LAST OPTION.

It's a serious undertaking. EVERYDAY 7 days a week holidays included (unless you earn the right to get "take home bottles" on holidays...etc.) I have to go to the clinic 6am-9am. YES I know it's subsituting one opiate for another, but again Methadone is pretty safe. Yes we've heard of deaths such as Anna Nicole, and Her Son Daniel, BUT they were mixing it with other stuff. To be in the clinic they randomly **** test you, you HAVE to see a drug counselor once a week for a half an hour, you have to go to two meetings either A.A., or N.A. Also ONLY if you want every Friday at 9AM there is a Methadone discussion group. Today (Saturday 6-23-07) will be my THIRD time getting "Dosed". While I was never on heroin, I was taking like 4-5 days a week more on than off the past 10 years I was taking 20-30 pills (Percocet, Vicoden) mostly, plus, I'd take Avinza the 24 hour long acting Morphine, Oxycontin, and Demerol more rarely. The withdrawals are BAD. Now I'm finally getting my drug addiction, AS WELL as my Bipolar & Anxiety Disorder taking care of.

I NOW finally as if I'm doing better. You see my biggest problem even BEFORE the drugs has always been a persistent low mood (Dysthymia). I've been on like 20-30 different Antidepressants as well as periods without them. I'd still have a low-mood. The ONLY I felt happy, at peace, calm, and like a big burden is lifted off my shoulders is after I took 12 Percocet. I mean my cravings were so bad I'd shake and cry. When I wasn't using I'd stay off the computer, I'd keep to myself because I was miserable, and sad. However when I would use, I'd be on the computer a lot, I'm very friendly, more motivated, I'd talk to anyone.

(I've been a Magician, Psychic Entertainer, and now learning Hypnotism). I've been a Magician 15-16 years now, and I'm well known in my town, as like the guy on T.V. David Blaine, for 10 years now, I've been a Street Performer, every summer, same place same time every summer so I have my "Regulars / Fans". Anyway my favorite was performing while high, because even without drugs I'd have a NATURAL high. Anyway and yes I know ALL addicts say this, but I TRULY was better at performing when I was high. I make tips and so on, and I'd find I'd get more in tips. You see I'm funnier, I'm more better with the one-liners, my confidence is better, I smile more, and so on. As I said I'm kinda irritable without the drugs, I'm a lot more quiet and so on. Also when I feel good, I want to DO GOOD for myself. Normally, because I FEAR the word "no", and rejection, while at Restuarants, I would do my Magic, and talk to the Manager, and give a good pitch.

One time I went to this coffee place while high, I did some Magic for this girl. Anyway a week later in the town over from mine where the Café was, it was called "Apple Harvest Day" the owner who got feedback and my card from the girl I did Magic for called me (A Former Police Detective) and had me stand out front, for 4 hours, I only charged THEN $100.00, BUT I ALSO made tips. Also I've CREATED tricks, decsent ones too from what I've been told while I was high. Look, I'm NOT glorifying Drugs, and I'm not proud, but those were the reasons WHY I did them, and how I would become, and how I was off of them. I talked to the doctor Thurday (The first day I was dosed), and I told him WITH ALL SINCERITY, that for SOME people pain killers should be used for depression.

My Best Friend slash step-dad didn't agree saying being high WAS NOT SUCCESSIVELY treating depression. He even is happy I'm finally moving forwards as far as my drug use goes. HOWEVER I even was surprised the DOCTOR AGREED with me. He said some people are not "normal" without something extra. He further said that Methadone has ANTIDEPRESSANT and ANTIANXIETY properties to it. He said it's the best and SAFEST opiate, because it has a 12 hour active life, but that it has a 36 hour half life. The ONLY reason it's controversial, and people have died is because people KEPT USING while on Methadone Maintenance.

They start you off low then they raise it till you are comfortable, and the craving go away. It acts as a blockade as LONG as you are at a high enough dose. That means while on a stable dose of Methadone, if I were to take Oxycontin, it WOULDn"T DO ANYTHING so why waste your time or money. ALSO you are under the VERY CLOSE supervision of a doctor. While yes it's subsituting one drug for another it's MORE safe and you're NOT self-medicating. As I said I've TRIED everything else and this is my LAST resort. I'm so happy. Life is better, I'm learning Hypnosis, and will get a career in that, and also I FINALLY got a G/F, and she's happy and proud of me.

Anyway I'm just so happy my life after 10 years IS FINALLY moving forward, sorry Stefany I broke out into that. We know each other though. Another misconception about hypnosis is, that some people may not be able to come out of hypnosis. While yes you need to be counted out properly, let's say in the MOST EXTREME circumstances I were to die of a Massive M.I. and I had you in Hypnosis, you'd just drift off into natural sleep till your body awakened. As far as the book, no I'm fine, I'm happy and know what I need to know, HOWEVER I will NEVER stop learning about hypnosis.

Here is the BEST Youtube Video called "The Truth About Hypnosis" (20 minute clip), that I have found that describes how it REALLY, TRULY works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOhJX1BDYng

Thanks, Ed, (Eddini).

P.S. Just some facts on hypnosis, COMPARED to other therapies. This is from my friends site http://www.insidehypnosis.com

Here are Headlines About Hypnosis From Respected National Publication • "The easiest way to break bad habits is through hypnosis." - Newsweek
• "Hypnosis gives you more confidence." - Psychology Today
• "U.S. Olympic athletes use hypnosis to win." - Detroit Free Press
• "About the mind/body connection, hypnotherapy provides a tool to document it. Hypnotherapy helps patients tap their bodies' own power to heal, and relieve pain." - U.S. News and World Report.
• "Numerous scientific studies have emerged in recent years showing that the hypnotized mind can exert a real and powerful effect on the body." The Wall Street Journal - October 7th, 2003
• "Though often denigrated as fakery or wishful thinking, Hypnosis has been shown to be a real phenomenon with a variety of therapeutic uses - especially in controlling pain." Scientific American - July, 2001
• "The greatest success in providing lasting change occurred with
Hypnosis (93% recovery), followed by behavior therapy (72% recovery), and then psychotherapy (38% recovery)." (Volume 7, Number 1, Alfred A. Barrios, PhD) Psychotherapy Magazine
"Treat Others As You'd Want To Be Treated" - Jesus Christ
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Ed

You should relax more and learn how to slow down your mind...

Hypnosis will help you!

Dianetics is a system created by L Ron Hubbard a science fiction author who created a cult. They are fruitcakes that prey on insecure people and milk them of their money.

Tom Cruise has been in the news a lot last year because they got hold of him.

They will tell you everything is bad for you except their system. Plus they use manipulative hypnotic techniques to recruit and keep members..
tnscot
View Profile
Loyal user
220 Posts

Profile of tnscot
Yes. Dianetics is the book that eventually turned into the Scientology religion. I will not give my personal opinions on the religion, as I don't feel that this is the proper forum, but be advised, that Dianetics is not a book that is considered valid by almost anyone who isn't a scientologist.
As Always,
Scot Legdermain
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Anyone want to mention how much of your money you are REQUIRED to send them?

Ed if she is your friend that is great. Don't argue with her. She is arguing religion, and you are not. IT is apples and hand grenades.

Still be her friend, but don't get roped into a long boring discussion about this. You believe what you believe, and she is the same. Let it go at agreeing to disagree. It will be a lot easier.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Plenty of information available if you want to do a search...
Eddini_81976
View Profile
Inner circle
2183 Posts

Profile of Eddini_81976
Thanks. Yes after the post I looked Dianetics up on the web. I noticed Hubbards names. I'vew studied a lot on religions and cults. She is a friend but ONLY a friend here. We've written each other only like 3 times. She's nice. Yes I know, lots of Hollywood stars are Scientologists. Yes they do recruit people on long weekends and start the indoctrination stuff.

I think I did a good job though telling all about hypnosis the good and the bad (thought there VERY LITTLE bad and what is bad is ESTREMELY RARE). Also I love the URL clip I gave her, as I think Cal Banyan does such a great job explaining hypnosis. You have to understant AT THE TIME I didn't know she was in a cult. Also I borrowed some facts a friend of mine put on their opening webpage;

I also got into something really personal which to me WAS OKAY. I'm finally happy that 4 of ALL my main issues are being worked on. You know from what I've heard, I WON'T mention names as that is not my place, their like in any other profession, there are other Magicians who are addicts. PoorCarl Rosini was a tragic one. anyway enough on that I hit on that here FINALLY!!!

Mindpunisher yes hypnosis is HELPING so much. I've made like 3 self-hypnosis tapes thus far. I've had my therapist listen to them and she really likes them. She'd like to see me do them in C.D. format.

I’ve made quite a few self hypnosis tapes. My Therapist has listened to them, and think I have a real gift. I want to make a “Generalized Feel Good” self-hypnosis tape on blank tapes and sell them (under the table, EVERYTHING I try to do under the table) for like $8.00 or so. My Hypnotherapist says it’s a good idea. I don’t just do relaxation, imagery, and suggestions either. I do testing Eye Catalepsy, and the Ericksonian Arm Levitation induction, AS WELL as imagery, suggestions and progressive body relaxation. Obviously, I’ll have to write
1) DON’T to listen while driving or operating machinery
2) Make sure it’s queit NO INTERRUPTIONS , phone off the hook, sign on door..etc.
3) Listen to and follow carefully.

I'd like to start making a little moneyout of hypnosis, you know like I do with my magic. Thanks for listening, Ed, (Eddini) ... Ooooowww !!!
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Dianetics, was originally created by Ron L. Hubbard as a type of psychological therapy, it lacks any basis in scientific foundation. Hubbard was fined for practicing it as a form or psychiatry and/or psychology without a license, so he made it a religion. While the "gadget" has been modified over time, at one time it was like holding two orage juice cans connected to a meter. You were asked questions about your life and the "therapist" on the other end looked at the meter and pronounce whether or not there was a significant reaction. If there was you had to investigate that part by examining it until it no longer showed any signficant reading, you did this till you showed no significant reading on the meter to all questions, then you were said to have gone "clear" thus supposedly free from all past inhibitions, repressions, etc. It is based on nothing more than the pipe dreams of Ron L. Hubbard. Because both psychiatry and psychology attacked his methods as fradulent and quackery, Hubbard and followers have published similar claims about psychiatry and psychology. Yes in the history of both there were things done that we now realize were probably detrimental and based on as much hooey as Hubbard's theories. But with research and clinical studies following scientific method such therapies have been discredited and abandoned over time. There is still a lot we don't know about human behavior and the working of the brain. We now know that some disorders, such as the bi-polar disorder you suffer from, is brain chemisty based and not just behavioral in nature. There is a behavioral component associated with it, but the hard part is finding the right balance of drugs to compensate the brain chemistry problem. The chemicals active in the brain some of the drugs we use to treat brain chemistry disorders actually effect the brain chemistry, plus everbody is different and what works on one may not work so well or over work on another. Our current level of knowledge requires constant monitoring and revaluation and adjustment of drugs and dosages to treat brain chemistry disorders. That makes it a bit rough on the patients who suffer with these disorders, but at least the methods of treatment and medicines we have now compared to what they were say 20 years ago are almost light years ahead. Psychiatry and psychology are still very much in their infancy. We are often very good at determining how someone got to where they are, but not always so good at getting them back to where they should be.
Regardless, the theories of Ron L. Hubbard and his "machines" have never demonstrated to have correctly diagnosed or successfully treated anybody. If anything they largel only help deluded people to become more deluded.
Hypnotherapy is very rarely used in either psychiatry or psychology. The vast majority of "hypnotherapist" are not trained or licensed as therapist by a state to practice psychology or psychiatry. They are trained and "licensed" or "certified" by a plythoria of organizations with varying degrees of credibility. Most are not worth the paper they are written on. Using Hypnotherapy to learn and develop some good relaxation technique probably wouldn't hurt anybody. Definitely might help them reduce the effects of stress in their life. In some forms of pain management the relaxation techniques of hypnosis has shown some reasonable ability to improve these individuals ability to deal with chronic pain. To use hypnosis to treat real behavioral problems, expecially by "therapists" who are neither properly trained or licensed to do such therapy by a state, is dangerous. A good example of some of that problem has been the rash of so called "recovered memories" from "regression therapy" of the 80's and 90's. Studies show the therapist has far too much control over influencing the so called "recovered memories" to make any such memories doubtful at best.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Eddini_81976
View Profile
Inner circle
2183 Posts

Profile of Eddini_81976
Well like I said at FIRST (now I know what it is) I thought she was like talking about it from a religious (not HOW SHE IS NOW OR THEN) or psychological point of view hence the WAY I defended Hypnosis what it is, and isn't, it safety, and RARE dangers, and so on. Yes Scientology ( no offence to those who are HERE) is a cult. I guess You pay them a bunch of money, and go on a camping for three days. Whether they use isolation, food & sleep Deprivation...etc, I'm not sure. I think I defended it well though as far as HOW I thought she was coming at me though. Thanks, Everyone, Ed, (Eddini) ... Ooooowww !!!
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
In the words of L. Sprague DeCamp (who worked at the desk next to Hubbard at Astounding Science Fiction back in the 40's), when confronted by a member of "Ron's" group at a World Science Fiction Convention in Chicago in the 60's and who tried to recruit DeCamp into the fold:

"I knew Ron Hubbard when he was a Small. Time. Crook."

'Nuff Said.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Here is me defending hypnosis. Also I'll tell you something I've struggled with. I was afraid to. » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL