The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Have You Thanked Uri ? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6~7~8~9~10..14..17..20..23..26..27~28~29 [Next]
DJM
View Profile
Inner circle
Israel
1681 Posts

Profile of DJM
Thank you, Mike. You are too kind.
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
Who's drawing dupe does he do?

I don't know.
Do you?

And that is not the point anyway is it?

J ack

H.O.A-X
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
DJM
View Profile
Inner circle
Israel
1681 Posts

Profile of DJM
Quote:
On 2007-06-25 22:16, Jim-Callahan wrote:
Who's drawing dupe does he do?

I don't know.
Do you?

And that is not the point anyway is it?

J ack

H.O.A-X

Wow, that answer was even more lame than I thought.

The Drawing Duplication has been done many years before Geller started doing it, which means he stole the idea from someone. Not only that, but he made it seem like it's his own creation since he doesn't even admit it's a trick.

Which means that he's ripped off that effect from someone. That's the point, Jim. Just like you claim people have ripped from him.

It doesn't matter who he got it from, but that it's pretty obvious he "stole" (your word) it, and people pay him money to watch something that isn't his.

I'll make it clearer: You accuse people of something that he himself does.

You see the point, Jim? Let me know if not, and I'll make it even clearer next time.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Smile
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13146 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
If imitation is the greatest form of flattery then many within the mentalism field pay homage to Uri Geller. It was he how popularized the act of metal bending in our art form. Some will say others did it before him, not according to the literature. There is a pre-Geller reference to bending in the JINX, but it is different, not as visual and not done with silver wear or keys. Dr. Sawa published the first manuscript on spoon bending, and it was after Geller had already been performing this activity. The next source that gave us technique (to my knowledge) was Ben Harris’ book GELLERISM REVELED, an excellent book by the way.

Like it or not, the act of visually bending these items IS attributed to Uri Geller. He received such great reactions to what he did that others copied what he did to gain similar reactions. It could represent a very visual manifestation of mental power, very visual PK. Finally mentalism had a visual component (an additional reason they picked this up is that people at the time would say, “Oh, can you bend spoons like the guy on TV?”).

So in trying to recapture the reactions that Geller received, bending entered the mentalist’s arsenal. It has remained there and developed in some ways, diminished in others, and has been accepted as a traditional component of mentalism (or mental magic).

Please, don’t take this as a post on reality of Geller or any psychic topic; it is on the origination and popularization of spoon and key bending for performance/demonstration.

Yes, there may be others who claim that so-and-so performed this back in the 40’s or some such story, what I say here is borne out by the literature.

Tony Iacoviello
DJM
View Profile
Inner circle
Israel
1681 Posts

Profile of DJM
Tony, this isn't what the last posts have been about. Maybe read it again.

Jim is accusing people who bend metal for stealing and ripping off Geller's idea. What he wants to ignore is the fact that Geller also "stole" from other mentalists, especially the drawing duplication effect, and making it seems like it's his own creation.

And you can see by his new post that he goes for the children technic again and writes something that has nothing to do with I wrote.

I've noticed this technic from my first day here, so it's getting old.. and yes, pretty annoying.
DJM
View Profile
Inner circle
Israel
1681 Posts

Profile of DJM
Never mind, I see he already deleted that new post. Interesting.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13146 Posts

No one ripped off the concept of drawing duplication as it has been in public domain for well over 100 years. It has been considered public effect, not attributed as an effect to anyone in specific (not discussing method) since at least the 1930s, metal bending was Geller's signature "effect" both as creator and performer.

There is a difference.

Tony
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
DJM,

You did not respond to a very direct question and reply from me.

If it is real it's his.
If you say it is not real and he stole it how do you know he did not purchase it?

But this topic is about the metal bend effect nothing more.
If you wish to talk about the drawing dupe start a thread about it becouse I will not post on it again on this thread.

I defer to Tony's last post and thank him.

Best Wishes,

Jim
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2007-06-25 22:43, DJM wrote:
Never mind, I see he already deleted that new post. Interesting.

I saw it too.
DJM
View Profile
Inner circle
Israel
1681 Posts

Profile of DJM
Quote:
On 2007-06-25 22:46, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
No one ripped off the concept of drawing duplication as it has been in public domain for well over 100 years. It has been considered public effect, not attributed as an effect to anyone in specific (not discussing method) since at least the 1930s, metal bending was Geller's signature "effect" both as creator and performer.

There is a difference.

Tony

Tony, you can't say that he was the creator of anything, because for him it's always been the real thing. He doesn't own the rights to anything, not the spoon bending, stopping a watch nor moving a compass.

If he was a mentalist with the rights to some magic tricks then it would be wrong to take it from him. But he never claimed to be a mentalist, so anyone could take from him whatever they want.

Nothing unethical in that, no more than what he does.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13146 Posts

He is the creator of the effect, can say that as others have. I am not discussing methodology, just the appearance of metal bending in his hands.

Others that came after were imitating him, or imitating others who imitated him.
howdoidisconnect
View Profile
Elite user
Just outside the cafe window
429 Posts

Profile of howdoidisconnect
I have posted this already..but some still haven't read Geller own site...
http://www.uri-geller.com/content/research/history.htm

And I quote: ( while lobing a hand grenade of fact)

"The phenomenon has been described previously by Japanese Buddhists and in England in reports of witchcraft. "

So by Gellers own words it is not his effect/power/original brew, call it what you will.

Constructive enough I hope for Tony this time.
I do look forward to the day when you post something constructive.
-Tony Iacoviello
DJM
View Profile
Inner circle
Israel
1681 Posts

Profile of DJM
Not only that, but at some shows he's been using an effect where he puts a person in a chair, and then let's about 4 others pick him up using one hand. Something like that, it's been awhile since I saw it.

That trick was published in an Israeli magic children book a few years before he started it.. so I guess that's another one that he "stole." (using Jim's word again.)
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13146 Posts

Steve:

That is interesting, but it is outside of what I posted.

Quote:
If imitation is the greatest form of flattery then many within the mentalism field pay homage to Uri Geller. It was he how popularized the act of metal bending in our art form. Some will say others did it before him, not according to the literature. There is a pre-Geller reference to bending in the JINX, but it is different, not as visual and not done with silver wear or keys. Dr. Sawa published the first manuscript on spoon bending, and it was after Geller had already been performing this activity.

The "It was he who popularized the act of metal bending in our art form." is still true, Our Art form.

I don't think anyone can really disagree with that.

Tony
howdoidisconnect
View Profile
Elite user
429 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-06-25 23:29, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
He is the creator of the effect, can say that as others have. .

Am I misunderstanding this?

SO geller 'borrowed' it from someone else, so everything that is made popular we are to honour.
Well let me get my Criss angel and david blaine books out. Because apparently every effect they do that has become popular even if they didn't invent it, we now owe some kind of thank to...
-Tony Iacoviello
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13146 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-06-25 23:40, DJM wrote:
Not only that, but at some shows he's been using an effect where he puts a person in a chair, and then let's about 4 others pick him up using one hand. Something like that, it's been awhile since I saw it.

That trick was published in an Israeli magic children book a few years before he started it.. so I guess that's another one that he "stole." (using Jim's word again.)

The 5-person lift is an old medium stunt also in public domain, (possibly predating the mediums). It is a variation of the "Light as a feather, stiff as a board" stunt (which does predate the mediums).

Please stop using words like "stole" when they do not apply, they lessen your argument.

Tony
DJM
View Profile
Inner circle
Israel
1681 Posts

Profile of DJM
Quote:

SO geller 'borrowed' it from someone else, so everything that is made popular we are to honour.
Well let me get my Criss angel and david blaine books out. Because apparently every effect they do that has become popular even if they didn't invent it, we now owe some kind of thank to...

That's exactly what I was about to say.. some of the Geller fans here are too funny.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13146 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-06-25 23:44, howdoidisconnect wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-06-25 23:29, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
He is the creator of the effect, can say that as others have. .

Not misunderstanding it, but taking it out of context. Please see my previous post.

Tony
howdoidisconnect
View Profile
Elite user
429 Posts

Tony the point of this thread was that Geller was the originator of the metal bending effects.

If we are now changing the goal posts to ...well he made it popular so we should thank him for it hat way....you guys are kinda backtracking aren't you.

Just for the records Tony, do you think Geller and his bending these spoons with his mind...serious question.
-Tony Iacoviello
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Have You Thanked Uri ? (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6~7~8~9~10..14..17..20..23..26..27~28~29 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL