The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Have You Thanked Uri ? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8..13..18..23..25~26~27~28~29 [Next]
Marc Spelmann
View Profile
Special user
London U.K.
666 Posts

Profile of Marc Spelmann
It is hard to thank Uri as he does claim we use magician methods where as he uses real mind power.. But none the less I have to acknowledge how he has helped promote the mystical arts regardless of whether I agree with his ethics are not..

I know that whenever I bend metal people always refer to Geller be it positive or negative, metal bending does have a certain mystic to it though and I personally think this is massively due to Gellers demonstrations.

Spelmann
It's not goodbye, just see you later...
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
Marc,

I agree with your post.

It is unfortunate other are not as enlightened as you.

-Jim
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
DT3
View Profile
Inner circle
Hill Valley
1917 Posts

Profile of DT3
Interestingly I did some spoon bending some time ago for a friend. I hadn't seen him for a while and when I did, he said "I know how you bent that spoon." I cringed and thought, great another exposer out there. Then what he said really threw me back. He told me that he heard how it was done on a radio talk show. He was just still floored at how I did it so quickly. Slightly confused I asked if the radio show happened to be Art Bell, and it was. Apparently, good ole Art had a guest giving an explanation on how to REALLY bend the spoon with the power of the mind, which involved a very long concentration process. So my bending was validated by a radio show that I had no control over...how cool!

Thanks Uri.
Arnon
View Profile
Inner circle
1320 Posts

Profile of Arnon
Quote:
On 2007-07-16 18:04, Marc Spelmann wrote:
It is hard to thank Uri as he does claim we use magician methods where as he uses real mind power.. But none the less I have to acknowledge how he has helped promote the mystical arts regardless of whether I agree with his ethics are not..

I know that whenever I bend metal people always refer to Geller be it positive or negative, metal bending does have a certain mystic to it though and I personally think this is massively due to Gellers demonstrations.

Spelmann

Quote:
On 2007-07-16 18:08, Jim-Callahan wrote:
Marc,

I agree with your post.

It is unfortunate other are not as enlightened as you.

-Jim

Kissing up again?

The point is not whether Geller created the mystique or not - there is no dispute about that - but whether, as Jim/Jack posed at the beginning of this thread, we as mentalists should thank him.

I think the majority of posters think NOT.

Just because we may derive a benefit from his machinations does NOT mean that we "should thank him."

On the contrary, I think we should scold him for all of his misdeeds.

"Acknowledgement" is not thanks.
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
Ok that's your opion Arnon.

Thanks for sharing.

J ack

H.O.A-X
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
Arnon
View Profile
Inner circle
1320 Posts

Profile of Arnon
Jim/Jack:

Are you really thanking me for sharing, or simply acknowledging the benefit of my opinion?
:D
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
Yes.

J ack

H.O.A-X
Marc Spelmann
View Profile
Special user
London U.K.
666 Posts

Profile of Marc Spelmann
You guys are very entertaining to read.. There are times when we have to agree to disagree.. I am fascinated by Geller for a number of reasons which I touched on in this topic earlier.

1: Does he walk through the front door of his house and think 'Got them again!' or is he at a point now where he believes he is sending positivity via his public demonstrations and thus does ot believe he is ethically wrong as he promotes positivity?

2: As a kid I watched him at his peak, the publicity over here was huge with Uri appearing in Newspapers getting you to focus your mind power.

3: As a 'magician' I have to acknowledge his balls of steel and conviction, it is like someone using card skills to do magic tricks and someone else using card skills to cheat The Bellagio out of millions. One is very high risk..

4: The fact that no matter how many magicians exposed spoon bending he didn't tell and never buckled, I might not agree with his ethics but you have to respect that amount of conviction and life devotion.

5: Even in this age where you can type spoon bending into google and buy DVDs telling Gellers methods and others which are even more advanced Geller still has this mystic about him. Sure some find him too much but there are still those that believe or certainly want to..

I personally think Geller was more unethical ten years ago when he was really doing the hard sell on Psychic phenomena, now he seems to make most of his income by being a B list celebrity here in the UK..

Again I am very on the fence with this and have really enjoyed a great topic, maybe Arnon is right about not thanking Uri but the again I can see Jacks point as Geller was certainly someone who formed part of what I do and aim to do..

Good thoughts and happy bending

Spelmann
It's not goodbye, just see you later...
DT3
View Profile
Inner circle
Hill Valley
1917 Posts

Profile of DT3
I think Geller would be just as iconoclastic if he never even bent one spoon.

DT3

"Using words to describe magic is like using a screwdriver to cut a steak"- Tom Robbins
ChristopherM
View Profile
Special user
UK
844 Posts

Profile of ChristopherM
Thank you, Uri.

There. I have done, now.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
True Story:

I recently emailed magicians and top acts for signed pictures for the new magic bar, one of these was Uri Gellar.

His reply was

"I prefer to be called a mystifier but hec I've been called worse, photo on its way"

I forgot to thank him tho.

;)

M:C
smokingkills
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of smokingkills
Thank you Uri. A true magician.
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5410 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
Quote:
On 2007-08-20 18:30, Matt Colman wrote:
True Story:

I recently emailed magicians and top acts for signed pictures for the new magic bar, one of these was Uri Gellar.

His reply was

"I prefer to be called a mystifier but hec I've been called worse, photo on its way"

A great post. And it shows how Uri is always the best! And with some good sense of humor!
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
rinpoche
View Profile
New user
Garden of Earthly Delights
56 Posts

Profile of rinpoche
If you want to thank the guy, thank him. If you don't don't. IMHO - it is a bit condescending to tell people who they need to thank.

You can go back as far as you want and thank everybody who originated everything that you enjoy - hell the guy who invented the flush toilet is at the top of my list. What you'll wind up doing is thanking everybody in the Universe and not having any time for anything else.

My personal feelings about URI is that he's a guy with a few skills that was great at publicity in the 70s. I think he continues to defraud the public and, at least at one point, was offering his services to mining companies to help the psychoically find precious metals and the like. Any mining company CEO who hires him to do this should be fired. This isn't trickery presented as entertainment, he presents it as real, and uses it to make money from the gullible. This is the same as the spritualist frauds uncovered by Houdini.

Whether or not you feel the need to thank the guy is your personal decision.
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
Problem with that logic is he did find what the mining companies were looking for.
Experimentalist
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of Experimentalist
I have found that almost no one under the age of 40 has ever even HEARD of Uri Geller. I get the feeling that magicians think about him more than everyone else put together.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18806 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I could of sworn I read somewhere that spoon bending used to be revealed on the back of milk cartons in the US in the 50s...so..has Uri thanked Milk? or indeed, the first person to give milking a cow was?

dunno...i would like to thank Uri for being entertaining - that's all...

I wonder if Berglas or Shachnaey would thank him?!
NEW - the bear tear

20-25% OFF MOST THINGS
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/uncle90
rinpoche
View Profile
New user
Garden of Earthly Delights
56 Posts

Profile of rinpoche
Quote:
On 2007-08-21 20:43, mota wrote:
Problem with that logic is he did find what the mining companies were looking for.

Really? I would like to see some confirmation of that. If he could truly do that, I would think he would become the wealthiest man on the planet. Just think he could take a 10% cut of newly discovered oil, diamond, gold and other natural resources. He could be the first trillionaire!

I would also think that such truly psychic powers would have helped him out when he was paid to psychically investigate the kidnapping of Helga Farkas. (Uri said she would be found alive - she had been murdered).

I do wonder about the the origin of metal bending. I haven't been able to com eup with any historical information on the web. I'm hestitant to believe that Uri invented it, but maybe he did.

BTW - did you know that Uri unsuccessfully sued IKEA who had a line of furniture called "Uri". But then again, who hasn't that guy sued.
Experimentalist
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of Experimentalist
According to Doc Shiels, the idea was derived from bending a COIN. An idea that was established as a pocket trick at the time Uri started out.

Let us also not forget Anneman's bending swizzle stick.
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
Actually he did get a percentage of some wells which is where he made some real money. He was touring around before this with psychic seminars and Randi following him from city to city picking up some Geller's crumbs. In Minneapolis Randi told a friend of mine that following Uri around was pretty profitable.

The wells came about after this. Uri claimed he did it with dowsing using a pendulum over maps. Skeptics suggested he checked with a geologist on the maps first. At the time no one questioned that he had done it, only the method.

Curiously I doubt you will ever ask for documentation of Uri's actions that show him in a positive light, only those that show him negatively. When is the last time anyone slammed Uri and a skeptic asked for documentation?

As far as lawsuits go both he and Randi were pretty busy with each other in court during this time. Uri made claims Randi didn't like and Randi kept insulting everyone who disagreed with him (still a habit of the old posterior egress). Uri would have been a well-known performer without Randi...Randi was a nobody outside magic circles at this time, with some small following but nothing like he has now. Their antagonistic relationship actually helped both of them significantly. Randi's whining kept Uri in the news and got Randi in the spotlight when he otherwise would not have been.

As far as spoon bending goes I too doubt Uri was the first to come up with this. Still, someone even older than I might have to source this.

Under 40 never heard of him? Very true in the US. It probably is true that only magicians care about him and that seems to be pretty much skeptics who react like a drooling lab rat every time they hear his name.

I too would like to thank the guy who invented the flush toilet. It was not Thomas Crapper who invented it, but apparently a guy named Joseph Adamson (http://www.snopes.com/business/names/crapper.asp).

Now that was something that I think we can all agree deserves thanks.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Have You Thanked Uri ? (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8..13..18..23..25~26~27~28~29 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL