The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Have You Thanked Uri ? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8..13..18..23..26~27~28~29 [Next]
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Yeah he does..but wash it before you give him a big hand please..
I've asked to be banned
rinpoche
View Profile
New user
Garden of Earthly Delights
56 Posts

Profile of rinpoche
I don't believe Randi is skeptic in the true meaning of the word, and I don't always agree with the guy. I'm sure he's made a ton of money from Uri and now publicity from the hack Sylvia Browne.

I don't even really have a problem with what Uri does on TV, or that he presents himself as a true psychic. I wouldn't care if he only stuck to doing entertainment. It's the fact that he's used spoon bending and other mentalist tricks to convince people to give up their money for things like helping them with kidnapping cases that I find truly reprehensible.

By the way, I am a sceptic and I do ask for proof of both positive and negative claims. I don't rule out the existance of psychic powers automatically, because you can't truly prove scientifically that something doesn't exist. Anything is technically possible.

Just because Randi says that Geller's tricks can all be done by magicians, I didn't assume automatically that's how he did them. I wanted proof that's how he did them. There is video of Uri doing obvious (and not very good) sleight of hand to move compasses and bend spoons all the while claiming he was using psychic powers. Thanks to Youtube, anybody can see some of it. Uri has managed to get a lot of the video catching him removed from Youtube.

I ask for documentation of Uri's mining company claims because I have never seen any. It may exist and I am open to that possibility. I believe that being a skeptic means being open to possibilities and doing your best to use objective criteria to judge teh veracity of claims.

While it might be an Ad Hominem argument, I believe that past behavior is a strong predictor of future behavior. Criminal behaviorists, and studies I have read by psychological profilers from the FBI and CIA back up my belief. I believe there is credible proof that Uri has used sleight of hand and lied about it on more than one occassion. Therefore I think that believing his paranormal claims would be a mistake.

I recognize the following possibilities:
1. Uri has faked every psychic phenomenon.

2. Psychic powers actually exist and Uri has some, but for some reason he has used sleight of hand on more than one occasion and lied about it.

3. (improbable) Uri is delusional and actually has convinced himself that he has spychic powers but has none.
Logan Five
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1434 Posts

Profile of Logan Five
I agree Jack/Jim..Uri thanks for the seed germination idea..I totally love the way you present it..and the reaction it gets.
Self concept is destiny..
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
Rinpoche, you do impress me as an honest and geniune skeptic. I apologize for assuming you were a bit more Randi-like. The world needs more skeptics like you.

I agree on the kidnapping issue being reprehensible. This is not the kind of hope you should give someone unless you are sure you could produce results.

The mining thing was a long time ago (I still had hair on the top of my head then). I remember it as being in England for a natural gas company. I don't know where the actual drilling took place, just that it was an English company. Uri was successful (however he did it) and got a cut. I am not aware of any other mining deals. If someone else is perhaps they could post.

I also agree that the past is an indicator of future behavior.

So, I don't like what Uri has done at times. To be fair I must also mention that one of my favorite "effects" ever was when Randi nailed Peter Popov. It didn't stop him but still was great. If you really believed you talked to God you probably wouldn't need a radio and ear piece.

I've looked at some of your other posts and you seem to be a very clear, logical thinker without an axe to grind. I look forward to seeing your thoughts in the future.
rinpoche
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of rinpoche
Mota,

No problem. I find that most people calling themselves skeptics are very Randi-like, so it's a natural assumption.

Randi actually bankrupted Peter Popov when the publicity broke back in teh 80s. I see the guy back on the air now doing faith healing with a much smaller audience. You can now call in for his miracle spring water. He no longer pretends to be hearing voices from God telling him what people's problems are.

I have no problem if people feel they should thank Uri for popularizing spoonbending. I have a problem when people tell others who they should be thanking, particularly when some people may find the person's ethics lacking. But that's just my feeling.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Just to add, has anyone thanked corinda/dunninger/fogel and all those around at the time or rather, done something to "honour" their memory? if you're gonna thank Uri for what he did, you should definately thank those and other guys too...

they contributed just as much, if not more so...why single Uri out for praise?

I wonder if Corinda would of gone on the QVC channel and flog some crystals too?
I've asked to be banned
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1157 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
Hands up everybody who's thanked the Fox sisters!
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Shouldn't it be toes up?

I suppose they should be recognized if someone is touring the spiritualist circuit getting messages for the living from the dead as snaps crackles and pops.
rinpoche
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of rinpoche
Any pot-smoking cold-readers out there thank the Delphic Oracle who used to get high off volcanic fumes and give "readings"?
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1157 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
Quote:
On 2007-08-23 10:48, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
Shouldn't it be toes up?

I suppose they should be recognized if someone is touring the spiritualist circuit getting messages for the living from the dead as snaps crackles and pops.

Ah, well.

One day a seeker came unto the Master and said, "Tell me, Master, what is 'reality'?"

And the Master replied,

"One man looks at a gopher and sees only a gopher.

"Another man looks at a gopher and sees eleven gophers.

"Wearing green and yellow plaid suits.

"And Groucho glasses."

rinpoche
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of rinpoche
There was this engineer in ancient Greece (unfortunately I can't remember his name). Anyway, he actually invented a rudimentary steam engine. The king wouldn't let him use it to do any real work because they had all these slaves they wouldn't know what to do with. So, he used his steam power to create "magic tricks" at the temples of gods.

I recall that one of the illusions was that a priest would light a fire which would heat up a hidden kettle that would turn and open a set of doors revealing a statue of a god.

These were GIGANTIC mponeymakers for the temples who let people believe it was the gods themselves making the miracles.
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
Maybe they were but you look to closely at the picture.

J ack

H.O.A-X
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
princehal
View Profile
Loyal user
Pennsylvania
214 Posts

Profile of princehal
>The mining thing was a long time ago

I would dearly love to see any credible cite for this.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18033 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Now all these years later Uri Geller is the biggest draw to any magic convention ... Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
asanghi
View Profile
Veteran user
Moscow, Russia
308 Posts

Profile of asanghi
Whatever happened to Jim Callahan? I miss him at the Café...
garett
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of garett
I don't do metal bending, but if I did, it would not be thanks to Uri.

You would have to make an extremely indirect connection. Uri influenced others who in turn influenced me.

In fact, the only thing I can point to that would have ever gotten me to think anything at all of metal bending would have been The Matrix.

But it seems rather cliche and meaningless to me. If I were going to do something PK I can think of things that would resonate much more for a human being. PK touch with a significant other as a metaphor for "closeness" or "intimacy." A strong memory causing a piece of associated jewelry to levitate. A spirit causing objects to animate or levitate in a theatrical sceance.

Damaging silverware and keys just seems so counter-productive to me, personally. It might be cool to watch but only in a detached sort of way.

I think Uri's success came mostly from a movement in the 70s where certain people were really buying into the idea that they might actually have psychic abilities themselves, and it was an inexpensive way to waste their time trying to find out. Artistically or theatrically it was entirely empty.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18033 Posts

Profile of Slim King
There are literally dozens of spoon bending videos and books. I'd never seen this before Uri. Not saying someone didn't do it but Uri certainly made it popular. I'm glad the magic community is finally rewarding him for a job well done !
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Quote:
I think Uri's success came mostly from a movement in the 70s where certain people were really buying into the idea that they might actually have psychic abilities themselves, and it was an inexpensive way to waste their time trying to find out. Artistically or theatrically it was entirely empty.

Way to trivialize my youth and lifelong interest.
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4810 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Arh yes, uri Geller really got me interested in PK when he was out there bending spoons,keys and forks, this went on to get me further interested with Telekinesis with Russian Nina Kulagina and a lot of other pychic phenomen behind the iron curtain,wow did the russians take it very,very seriously,psychic warfare ,remote veiwing ,use to have some really rare books on the subject,all got stolen,that's anther story. If anyone is interested check out PSYCHIC EXPERIENCES (publish your psychic experiences)and look up Telekinesis with Russian Nina Kulagina ,sorry can 't put up a link,some very good vidios, all the best.
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4810 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Just out of interest,could anyone please tell me how she was found out,was it a magnet in her bra?,loads of stuff on the net just can 't find the true explanation.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Have You Thanked Uri ? (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8..13..18..23..26~27~28~29 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL