The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Magic Drawing Board vs. Special FX Board (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
john_herm
View Profile
New user
NJ
69 Posts

Profile of john_herm
I wasn't sure whether to get the Magic Drawing Board or the Special Effects Board, both from Axtell. Here's my Pro/Con list for both:

Magic Drawing Board

--Pro:
Very funny, great addition to kid's show
Kids love it (I know that because my little sister saw a magician do this at a party she was at, and everyone there thought it was great)
Seems very versatile, can draw many different faces

--Con:

A little expensive, about $15.00 more than the Special FX Board

Special FX Board

--Pro:
Also very versatile, can do A LOT of things with it, including an effect almost just like Cardiograph, which I was also interested in
Also very funny, and good for kids (it seems)
Cheaper than Magic Drawing Board

--Con:

In my opinion not as funny as the moving face in Magic Drawing Board, but still lots of room for funny

I think both would be great. What do you guys think? Even if you don't have it, tell me what you think would be better.

Here's the links:
Special FX Board
Magic Drawing Board
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3722 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Well, I only have the Pro-Magic Drawing Board (I do have both sizes), so that's the only one about which I can speak, but it's quality all the way.

Steve
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
Even better is the deluxe remote controlled drawing board!
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1877 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
I use the magic drawing board in every show and it is ALWAYS a hit.
fib
View Profile
Inner circle
1535 Posts

Profile of fib
How close can the audience be to the Magic Drawing Board?
fib
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7444 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I have both boards, but I use the Magic Drawing Board much more frequently. I've had them both for at least 10 years.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Add me to the list that likes the Magic Drawing board, and Axtrax Mark Routine is very good to go with this board.
Dennis Michael
john_herm
View Profile
New user
NJ
69 Posts

Profile of john_herm
So, do you all think the Magic Drawing Board is a better purchase?

John
yfoog
View Profile
New user
Springfield, Il
61 Posts

Profile of yfoog
I have the Magic Drawing Board, and the kids love it. Although I do not have or have used the SFX Board, my opinion is that you get more bang for your buck with the Drawing Board. There are unlimited possibilities of interaction with a talking character, whereas with the SFX board you are limited to whatever you load as the surprise.
The Magic of Jim Percy
President Central Illinois Magicians Association
john_herm
View Profile
New user
NJ
69 Posts

Profile of john_herm
Quote:
On 2007-06-25 10:24, yfoog wrote:
I have the Magic Drawing Board, and the kids love it. Although I do not have or have used the SFX Board, my opinion is that you get more bang for your buck with the Drawing Board. There are unlimited possibilities of interaction with a talking character, whereas with the SFX board you are limited to whatever you load as the surprise.

I was thinking of using the SFX Board with a "Look-Don't See" routine. I could do something along the lines of me looking for my assistant, who could be some animal, but couldn't find him. I would be looking at the kids, and the animal would pop up on the board. Of course, they'll all be screaming, telling me that he's right there, but when I look, he's gone. I thought kids would like that, but I already have a look-don't see routine in my act which I am currently building.

John
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3722 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
I've had my boards about a year now, and was wondering if anyone has had the same problem. There seems to be a "ghosting" where the mouth opens on my larger drawing board. Not on the plastic, but on the white grid part. Not visible from very far, but I know it shouldn't be there in a product/item this new. I was told by Steve (Axtell) that it will cost me $25 for a repair...

Anybody else suffer from this?

Steve
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1840 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
I've had my 3 boards rebuilt several times from Steve Axtell.

If you use them a lot they wear out. And I use mine in every show.

I wouldn't leave home without it. As the commercial used to say.

Thx,

Nez
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
john_herm
View Profile
New user
NJ
69 Posts

Profile of john_herm
I've come to the conclusion now that the Magic Drawing Board is generally better. I think I'll get it.

What is the best place to buy it from?
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Directly from Axtell.
john_herm
View Profile
New user
NJ
69 Posts

Profile of john_herm
Quote:
On 2007-06-25 15:14, MagicSanta wrote:
Directly from Axtell

Thank you. Smile
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1877 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
Fib,
6 feet is fine, and probably get away with it closer. I can spot the gimmicks from that distance, but the crowd doesn't. I start off by drawing a child (usually the birthday child). I exclaim what a good artist I am and the kids laugh and disagree. I then get the birthday child up, and I tell him to draw someone in the room that is real beautiful. After a moment I tell them to draw me, and I vogue. This is very funny because I am not classified anywhere close to beautiful by most people.

Anyway, the kid is drawing on the board - that close. I don't operate the gimmicks at this time but the kid could easily see them . . . . but for some reason they don't.

I was also worried because the board has a light grid on it. No issue there either.

My routine lasts about 7 minutes, and works well. $150 for 7 minutes of routine is pretty good I'm my book.

I just ordered the the CeleBRI-Tie and plan to use the board with it and also am working on a levitation where I would normally use coat to cover my legs but will use the board.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3722 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
I start with "MAGIC SHOW AT 0:00 (whatever showtime is)!" written on the board and the board on display. When I pick it up to do the effect, I wipe it clean. Makes the board much less "gimmicky". You can also buy a matching ungimmicked board in either size if you want to go that far, but I've never found that necessary.

Steve
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
While I do not have the drawing board, which sounds great, I did not get much out of the SFX board at all. Its use is limited to one "pop-up" per show as you cannot reload, and it is just not that impressive. Perhaps in tandem with the drawing board , which is the one I really should have gotten . . .
Tom Riddle
View Profile
Special user
Chelsea, UK
507 Posts

Profile of Tom Riddle
And when that remote drawing board breaks down....
No offense, but I've found that props that fix easily are best, especially if you actually do a lot of shows....
"Yes, Virginia, there really are people named Riddle...isn't that AMAZING! And to think of all the royalties I'm missing out on! SCANDALOUS!"

Thomas Williamson Riddle III
Chelsea, UK
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I've always thought a cardiograpic meets special effects board would be fun.

The magician draws a stick figure magician holding a hat. Then a rabbit comes out. He writes happy birthday Billy on it and gives it to the kid!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Magic Drawing Board vs. Special FX Board (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL