The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The June 2007 entrée: Chad Long » » Your influences » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gbooze
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of gbooze
Hi and welcome in the Café,

My question is about your main influences on your magic.... you could answer this question on different levels...

I'm not just asking who are your favourite performers, but in what does actually rock your "magic"...?

It could be movies or cartoon, or plainly just your own imagination regarding what would be cool to be done if you actually had some funky "power"...?

Just like many of us you have a "magic" history... you probably started performing classics .... then you realized that there was more to it so you decided to put your own personal touch. were you mentored in some way?

Regards

JB Dumas
Chad Long
View Profile
V.I.P.
227 Posts

Profile of Chad Long
JB,

Thanks for the question. Starting with magic influences I would say my early influences were definitely Paul Harris, Michael Ammar, and Derek Dingle. I was about 14 when I saw Paul Harris lecture, and I thought I was in the twilight zone! He wasn't making cards switch places, he was making cards and coins switch places! He wasn't just doing ambitious card, he was doing it with a solid deck! Cards across? He let the spectators count their own cards and still they would end up with more. Frankly, you could make a living just doing classic Paul Harris material!

However, when I saw David Williamson about 17 years ago, I realized how much fun magic could be! It was no longer about the tricks, but about the whole experience. I was so into sleights, moves, and straightforward tricks, that I was missing the best part - showing everyone a great time, while having fun myself!

As far as other influences, Steve Martin is a big one, as well as Ricky Gervais & Christopher Guest...oh, and Mick Jagger! LOL!

Take care,

Chad
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3618 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
To your credit Chad, I've seen you twice (at your lecture at Shawn O'Donnels and at PCAM in Seattle) and I never would have thought that David was one of your influences... but now that you SAY it, it's clear as day.

You've managed to create the same combination of fun and magic that David has, but without being anything like him.

That's more impressive than a FISM win, if you ask me.
Chad Long
View Profile
V.I.P.
227 Posts

Profile of Chad Long
Quote:
On 2007-06-25 23:18, wsduncan wrote:

That's more impressive than a FISM win, if you ask me.

Ha! Take that Rick Merril! Thanks Bill!

Chad
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The June 2007 entrée: Chad Long » » Your influences » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL