The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Fire Eating Long Term Effects? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
I've been fire eating for a couple of years now. Does anyone have a good link for long term health related effects because of this?

I realise that this has a lot to do with the flamable liquid involved, but I don't want to discuss what I use on the open forum. I'm not trying to keep secrets for my own benefit. I just don't want lurkers going out and torching themselves.

I personally don't like eating fire. However, the response is so good that I can't cut it from my shows. Perhaps a little informative reading on what it's doing to my body is what I need to kick this nasty habit once and for all!?!?!
wol
View Profile
Loyal user
Norfolk, UK
238 Posts

Profile of wol
Have you read Penn Jilletes monologue on Fire perfromers? Google wack it and enjoy!
Keep passing the open windows!
MitchMagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Montreal, Quebec
277 Posts

Profile of MitchMagic
Well, I'm sure putting fire into your mouth isn't all that great for you, but it's a risk as performers we must do for the sake of entertainment.

Mitchell
Magic For Darfur
Save Us.
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Hazards stemming from fire eating-
Eaters Pneumonia- A build up of fluids in the lungs. Developing a cough that is not going to go away.
Mouth, throat and tongue cancers
Cauterization of the lungs- Fatal. Breathe in at the wrong time, and the fire goes right into your lungs. It seals the cells that bring oxygen into your bloodstream and you slowly, painlessly suffocate to death.

The Pneumonia and Cauterization can be avoided if you do it right. The cancer depends on which fluid you use and how much you actually get in your mouth when eating.

Oh yeah...Burns. You can get really bad burns.
Gwyd
aquamage
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of aquamage
To add to gsidhe's list:

Depending on the types of fuel you use for eating and blowing you can have really bad topical skin reactions to contact. The p******* that most blowers use nearly always does that, so remember to wash your face, hands and the insides of your mouth after every performance.
An old fire-eater that used to travel with the circuses many years ago once told me that he always drank whole milk before a performance. He claimed that it coated the soft membranes in his mouth and stomach so that they did not absorb as much of the toxins from his fuels. I don't know if there is any scientific back-up for this at all...but it was an interesting story at least Smile
Ted Danger
View Profile
Regular user
San Francisco/Utila
106 Posts

Profile of Ted Danger
Before I got into magic, I did pyro effects for metal bands. Then one day, on Legendary Haight St., I saw a group of Swiss Gymnists/fire performers. It took two years of letting the four of them live in my house before they would teach me. The juice they use is the standard, and I took an oath of non-revelation with them.

Because of much practice, and strange coincidences (best kind) I've used this talent to get SAG elligable and make 50K in one day shooting a commercial. It's very dangerous, and I don't even "breath fire" once a year anymore. To the point: the preffered juice can kill you if you swallow it. I'm not talking of eating fire here, I'm talking of breathing fire, sometimes refered to as the volcano. When I did repeated shows, as a foolish youth, it caused the runs, bad. It can leave you fealing ill for days. Later, I did get in the habit of drinking milk, and milkshakes. I won't offer any advice for this kind of performance, as it is truly dangerous. But not as much as the X games....
Chad, I think eating fire can be harmless with the right technique, the right fuel, great training, and no mistakes. Just like doing a double flip on a motorcycle.
"One may say the eternal mystery of the world is its comprehensibility." Albert E.
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Quote:
On 2007-08-16 18:24, Ted Danger wrote:
Chad, I think eating fire can be harmless with the right technique, the right fuel, great training, and no mistakes.

This is just not true, fire eating as well as all fire performance skills are dangerous, they should never be tried by someone that has learned from a video, book or on-line.

You need to learn from the PROs.

There is nothing safe about eating fire.

Brett.
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
New user
Batavia, ny
77 Posts

Profile of valueduser
If you are using any kind of petrolium or fossil fuel, you are exposing yourself to carcinogens. Most fuels like n******, k*******, and w**** g** are all class 5 carcinogens, same as cigarettes.
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1298 Posts

Profile of nucinud
I know a fire eater, he has lung and digestive problems.
Like Penn said, there are no old fire eaters.
He only did it for one year.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
Ace of $pades
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Ace of $pades
I wouldn't put magic above heath, no offense.
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Fire-eating is definitely not good for your health.

BUT - I'm 47 - fire-eating for 30 - only health issue is slightly high cholesterol and it wasn't eating fire caused that.

I agree with not putting magic before health but I also do not want to put death ahead of living.

When I was a kid I would see old blokes having the big 100th birthday being interviewed on the news.

'To what do you attribute your longevity?'

'I never drank or smoked or ran round with loose women'

Forgive me but why did they want to live a hundred years?

Destiny
Rodentia
View Profile
New user
Southern California
81 Posts

Profile of Rodentia
First off, and this is just my opinion, if you don't like eating fire, you shouldn't do it..there has to be something else out there that can get you the same reaction and that you would enjoy performing. That being said, I have been eating fire for several years and aside from the occasional burns while working on new techniques and such, the worst I've had has been an upset stomach. I'm not saying to ignore what the others have been saying and yes, the warnings should always be heeded, but if things are done properly the risks are minimal and people shouldn't be scared off from learning the art.
Fire is a demanding Mistress...

http://combustiblecircus.com
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Please...Don't think I dislike fire eating. I am all for it.
The question was- What are the long term effects.
What I wrote is what they are.
It diesn't mean that everyone gets them, but there is the potential.
Especially when someone is trained improperly.
Yes...Go eat fire. Just get the proper training and take all possible safety precautions.
Gwyd
kosmoshiva
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
255 Posts

Profile of kosmoshiva
I stopped fire-eating over twenty years ago. I like the taste of food.

Oh yeah, and my fillings fell out.
Don't forget to breathe.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On 2007-06-26 21:17, wol wrote:
Have you read Penn Jilletes monologue on Fire perfromers? Google wack it and enjoy!

Hey WOL I had a look for that cant seem to find it anywhere. Any one put me up a sign post to it?
Rodentia
View Profile
New user
Southern California
81 Posts

Profile of Rodentia
Since the article covers a bit on how to eat-fire is it still allowed to post a link to it here or should that be done in a private message?

gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
PM to be on the safe side...
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
Thanks for the feedback all. I'd appreciate a PM to that link if anyone could send it my way.

Chad
Rodentia
View Profile
New user
Southern California
81 Posts

Profile of Rodentia
Will do, You should have it in a few minutes.

Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Also, problems with teeth and liver.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Fire Eating Long Term Effects? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL