The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Hollyweird? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Anyone busking in the Hollywood, CA area? I see H U G E crowds, but no magicians, at the new Grove (Farmers Market)... looks like a natural... too bad I'm too chicken to work the streets.... Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
You should do it Pete. The farmers market is a natural. Plus if you buy a booth on the cheap, and get a permit, they can't tell you to go home. At that point you become a fixture. The huge crowds need you.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
NO NO... not in the Farmers Mkt., but the middle area of the GROVE... have you seen it? Smile
Zack
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

Profile of Zack
I busk in Hollywood...come see me at Hollywood and Highland.

I tried the grove...they told me to leave pretty quick. The grove is all private property, so they have that right. I agree with you, though, the grove is a great space.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3399 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Zack,
When are you there? What days and times? What's the venue at Hollywood and Highland? Can't remember what that exact spot is like. You gonna be there this weekend at all?
Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Zack... did you go to the Grove management BEFORE you started to work? Or just start and get tossed? Smile

I live between Hollywood/Highland and the Grove... so can come see you. When do you work and where? Smile

A thought... those of us in the LA/Hollywood area into cups and balls... perhaps we could all get together and JAM somewhere, sometime? Smile

Maybe some evening at the Castle downstairs in the dungeon? Smile

Matter of fact, I will fiddle with my schedule and maybe put a cups and balls workshop together... Smile
Stay tooned...
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3399 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Pete,
I am soooo there! Count me in! And I'll bring your cups with me.
Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
That's it! I'm movin' to the left coast! Smile

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
As Leno says, "Hey, the ocean is on the wrong side of the beach here!" Smile
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Mr. Leno grew up in the next town over from me. I remember as a kid he was in a movie called “American Hot Wax”. It was a pretty big deal in our area; local boy does good and all that type of thing. At the end of the movie he gets to kiss Fran Dreshure (SP?) and I remember the movie house cheered for five minutes.

A few years later I used to see Mr.Leno and a huge list of now notable others do stand up for five bucks at one of the local Chinese Restaurants. It always amazed me how he could come on stage after several foul talking, audience killing, comedy titans and still floor the entire audience without uttering a single four-letter word. Just brilliant.

As for the ocean being on the wrong side, I think it’s on the wrong side over here!

You might get a kick out of this Pete as a fellow image-maker. In the 80’s I ran a small commercial photography business. I spent a lot of time doing fashion/print work, swimsuit stuff mostly. The local models hated me with a passion because I specialized in that dreamy, sunset over the ocean, California style, filtered fill flash, stuff that was so popular.

On this coast it is sunrise not sunset. In order to pull it off you got up at 1 a.m. got to the beach by 2 a.m. and waited till 3:25 a.m. for that instant of perfect light. In that instant I would have several models in swimwear set up at various points and when the light got right the motor drive on the F3 would smoke as I ran the Fujichrome through the bulk back. By 3:45 a.m. it would be done.

I actually had a girl fall asleep once and when the light came up I shot her with the others without noticing. The kid holding the reflector and the art director knew but said nothing. The photos of her sound asleep on the beach wound up in the Ujena swimwear catalog. It was the best work she ever did. Smile

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
MagiUlysses
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City
502 Posts

Profile of MagiUlysses
Greetings and Salutations Danny,

I knew there must be some other reason why I liked you ... a guy that shoots Fugi with a Nikon is OK in my book.

I spent half of my dozen years in the newspaper business behind Nikons -- an FM, FM2, and my workhorse, the F3 -- and when color came to the fore, I switched from Kodak, Tri-X and TMAX, to Fugi for color.

Mmmm, sleeping models on the beach in swimwear, mmmm. You must be quite a magician! Smile

Have an excellent weekend.

Joe in KC
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I had a model shoot for Sea and Ski and had one of the Sports Illustrated swimsuit gals (she was on the cover) to shoot... I got so excited I had to stuff my pockets with film cannisters.

I hated T-Max.

Most of my pro career was doing auto racing, 33 consecutive Indy 500s doing ads and posters, then specialized in off-road desert racing, Baja, etc.

Now I look at a cabinet full of Nikon Film cameras collecting dust... as I have gone 100% digital.

Just finished shooting a HUGE number of images for the Magic Castle gift shoppe catalog... and the 40th Anniversary Castle issue of Genii magazine...

Stay tooned... Smile
Zack
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

Profile of Zack
Pete: I busk around my indoor schedule. Usually weekend afternoons and weekday nights (5-9). Let me know about the cups workshop...I'd love to come.

You are right I just showed up at the grove and started working. I think somebody could open the place up...you're right its a good space.

The problem is the time and energy involved, when compared to the potential rewards...why kiss up to mall bueraucrats, who will be concerened about liability, four letter words and the like, when you could just hit the streets. I'm not sure that busking in the grove would necessarily be more financially renumerative.

Danny: Don't do it! Harvard Square is the athens of busking, LA is the Sparta. Out here you will deal with sociopathic cops, stingy punters, and outrageous overregulation. Cambridge is the place to be!
filmyak
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
150 Posts

Profile of filmyak
Pete, can you let me know when you're going to do the cups and balls workshop? I'm new at this effect and working hard to improve my technique. I'd love to meet a group of folks in the Castle to do that!
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3399 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
You guys had the F2s while I made due with my trusty little Nikkormat (which I still have). Always wanted an F2. Only SLR that took exactly 100 percent and not a percent more than the viewfinder showed. Used to be a DP (director of photography) in film school. Shot with Ariflexs and Eclairs. But the lighting was my love. Painting with light.
Jim
Chris Berry
View Profile
Special user
831 Posts

Profile of Chris Berry
Danny....anyone ever tell you that you look like Brenden Fraiser?

Pete...you might remember me from Genii....I was the one that suggest a big convention. You made me realize how wrong I was! lol

I am a C&B freak! I love it but I don't have a set yet! I would love to session wiht you sometime...whenever I can get a car!

chris
vernon
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
552 Posts

Profile of vernon
Am looking forward to moving over to LA in June and would look forward to meeting up with magicians in the area.Have now been in Tenerife for 5 years and am moving on. Hope one more magico wont make the good cup spilleth.
Regards Vernon
Rover
View Profile
New user
Arizona
49 Posts

Profile of Rover
Got a chuckle out of that one!

Quote:
On 2003-02-07 13:00, Pete Biro wrote:
I had a model shoot for Sea and Ski and had one of the Sports Illustrated swimsuit gals (she was on the cover) to shoot... I got so excited I had to stuff my pockets with film cannisters.

Jesse Dains
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Jesse Dains
Reading in this thread about being run out of an area, brings to mind something I have done in the past when I could not work on the sidewalk. Let me know if you have done this or seen it done and if you like the idea.
The idea: In a place where there is a lot of people, and you get run off the sidewalk, look for a parking lot that borders the side walk. The kind where you pay the attendant to park.
Tell the attendant you want a parking space next to the sidewalk and what you intend to do, and that you will pay the regular parking rate and a nice tip with more to come if you do well. On occasion I have made a deal with a store that has parking that borders the sidewalk beside the store and paid them. You have to get there early or make the deal a day ahead of time to make sure you get the spot before someone parks there.
…………………Jesse
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Hollyweird? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.37 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL