We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The June 2007 entrée: Chad Long » » "Cocktail Hour" » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cinemagician
View Profile
Inner circle
Phila Metro Area
1094 Posts

Profile of cinemagician
Hello Chad, what kind of advice can you offer when comes to gaining and maintaing spectators' attenion durring the "cocktail hour" held at most private parties or corporate events. I find that this is the most dificult situation to work in. Often the guests want to mingle with each other enjoy their drinks and hors de ouvers, there is often congestion and and loud music as well. As I say often, when someone has a fried shrimp in one hand and a martini in the other do they really want to pick a card?
...The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity...

William Butler Yeats
Chad Long
View Profile
V.I.P.
227 Posts

Profile of Chad Long
Quote:
On 2007-06-28 09:41, cinemagician wrote:
Hello Chad, what kind of advice can you offer when comes to gaining and maintaing spectators' attenion durring the "cocktail hour" held at most private parties or corporate events. I find that this is the most dificult situation to work in. Often the guests want to mingle with each other enjoy their drinks and hors de ouvers, there is often congestion and and loud music as well. As I say often, when someone has a fried shrimp in one hand and a martini in the other do they really want to pick a card?

Hi cinemagician,

I know exactly what you mean! I've worked a lot of those gigs where you're in the middle of the trick and they're looking around, or over your shoulder to see who's just come in, or someone walks up and most of the group you're performing for just HAS to give them a hug! It used to bother me, but now it doesn't even phase me. First off, it doesn't really happen all that often, and when it does, I'll just keep going for the one or two people still watching. If EVERYONE has a "drink in one hand and a shrimp in the other", I would just do some "eye candy" for a few minutes and move on.

I still definitely prefer working the cocktail hour as opposed to strolling during dinner though, as you normally do have their attention, especially if you wait a couple minutes so everyone has a chance to get a drink and "settle in". This probably didn't answer your question, but just remember that most gigs are fun, and some you do "just hoping the check clears"! Take care...

Chad
cinemagician
View Profile
Inner circle
Phila Metro Area
1094 Posts

Profile of cinemagician
[quote]On 2007-06-28 21:25, Chad Long wrote:
Quote:

...I'll just keep going for the one or two people still watching. If EVERYONE has a "drink in one hand and a shrimp in the other", I would just do some "eye candy" for a few minutes and move on.

I still definitely prefer working the cocktail hour as opposed to strolling during dinner though...

Thanks Chad for taking the time to answer the question. I think you answered it well. If you loose attention from the group you are right (at least in my experience) there are still a few who are paying attention- play for them!

I had a "strolling through dinner" gig in December. I was supposed to hit ALL of the tables, by the time I had got through half of them there were people digging in to their filet mignon...

I asked myself... If I were these people and finally getiing somthing from this cheap corporate company would I really want some magician poking his wand at me when I am chawing at my steak (the only free thing I'd probably gotten from these ***s since I was hired)

and I guess I did kind of what you suggested...some eye candy!

Thanks for the pragmatic, honest responses.

- Mark Walsh
...The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity...

William Butler Yeats
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The June 2007 entrée: Chad Long » » "Cocktail Hour" » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL