The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The June 2007 entrée: Chad Long » » Invisible Deck » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2570 Posts

Profile of Robert M
You've mentioned the ID several times. If I may be so bold, do you have your own handling for this, and if so, would you consider sharing it with us?

Thanks,
Robert
Chad Long
View Profile
V.I.P.
227 Posts

Profile of Chad Long
Hi Robert,

I wish I could say I had some new, off-the-wall presentation for you, but I actually just do the classic presentation for it, you know, "shuffle these, take 'em out of the box first", etc, and have yet to find anything better for stand-up or parlor, presentation-wise. It gets several people involved, big laughs throughout, and an amazing payoff at the end. I figure, why fix what ain't broke!

Chad
Chad Long
View Profile
V.I.P.
227 Posts

Profile of Chad Long
As a side note on the Invisible Deck, I use it all the time as a fast icebreaker when strolling, especially for groups that look like they don't want to be bothered. For these groups, instead of pausing, introducing myself, blah, blah, blah, I'll just walk by with the ID held up in my hand and say in a fun, friendly way, "Hey gang, as I'm walking by, name a card!" It's non-threatening, tells them you're the magician, and gets their attention in a funny way. Of course, one of them names a card, you blow their minds, and you're in.

Another thing I do quite often is when one of them starts to name a card, I say, "Hold on, let's get everyone involved!" I point to someone else and ask, "Red or black?" Assuming they say "black", I point to another person and ask, "Spades or clubs?" After their response, I point to one last person and say, "Name a number!"
I recap by pointing to each spectator, repeating what they said, and then reveal the card.

I know this is nothing earth-shattering, but I've had magicians tell me they sometimes get nervous walking up to groups when strolling, especially if they've been rejected in the past. If you're one of those guys, or even if you're not, give this a try. It works like a charm!

Chad
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2570 Posts

Profile of Robert M
Thanks for sharing that, Chad. It's hard to improve on a classic routine like this.

Robert
Motor City
View Profile
Special user
Metro Detroit Area
554 Posts

Profile of Motor City
What if they name the wrong card?
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
Chad,

Is there a reason you prefer an Invisible Deck over a Brainwave Deck?
I've heard some say the different color back is anti climatical but I get great
responses using the Brainwave deck.
Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks
Daniel Faith
Chad Long
View Profile
V.I.P.
227 Posts

Profile of Chad Long
Quote:
On 2007-06-29 15:46, Daniel Faith wrote:
Chad,

Is there a reason you prefer an Invisible Deck over a Brainwave Deck?
I've heard some say the different color back is anti climatical but I get great
responses using the Brainwave deck.
Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks

Hi Daniel,

You know, I think it's because I really haven't worked with the Brainwave deck very much over the years. Dan Garret had a version out that I used to do all the time, but I don't know what happened to it. I think it was called 'King Brain'. So, I think I need to break out a Brainwave deck and give it a fair shot! Thanks...

Chad
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3618 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
I guess now would be a good time to share this. When doing the you pick a color, you pick a suit bit I like to ask the number first rather than last. It doesn't change the effect at all, but you can have the pack out and oriented correctly before the card is "chosen".
Chad Long
View Profile
V.I.P.
227 Posts

Profile of Chad Long
Quote:
On 2007-06-30 01:35, wsduncan wrote:
I guess now would be a good time to share this. When doing the you pick a color, you pick a suit bit I like to ask the number first rather than last. It doesn't change the effect at all, but you can have the pack out and oriented correctly before the card is "chosen".

Thanks, I'll be trying it this way tomorrow! I appreciate it...

Chad
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The June 2007 entrée: Chad Long » » Invisible Deck » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL