The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » New effect - ring in bulb (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Agent86
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of Agent86
Hey Guys,
I've been working on a new-ish effect for about six months now. Before I try to sell it I would like some opinions on it. I know I may be loading a gun here but I need the criticism.
Here is the general effect: It a completely re-done "Ring in Light Bulb"

Ring in Light Bulb Extreme (summarized description)

The magician borrows a ring from an audience member. He then makes some comedic remarks about the ring's quality. As he does he notices a few minor scratches. Being the courteous chap that he is, he offers to buff out the scratches with his polishing tool. While he attempts to repair the ring a series of bright sparks and shocks are seen coming from the golden edge of the rings body. As the audience cringes in their chairs the ring is seen to visibly vanish in a small burst of smoke and sparks.
Almost as instantly as the ring vanishes the small table lamp across the stage is seen to flicker on and off and finally a burst of spark and smoke explode from the top of the lamp shade! The magician then goes over to check the situation, as he does he (bare handed) removes the light bulb from inside the lamp, is appears to be burnt out, this is obvious because of the severe burn marks and cracking along the bulb head. He carefully hands the bulb to the audience member who loaned the ring, she shakes the bulb and notices a rattling noise coming from inside. The magician gives her a small handkerchief so she may be able to break the bulb and examine its contents.
As she does this, she looks through the broken glass and finds .. you guessed it.. her very own ring! Scratch free of course.

So that's the basic routine, I should mention that everything is electronic and is built into the unit. And all is operated via remote control. Now I'm not trying to sell this yet, when I do I will put up a proper add on the Café' front page. I would like to know if you guys, being magicians and enthusiasts would consider purchasing something like this, if you like the premise, how much you'd be willing to pay (remember its all electronic- completely different than the various other ring in light bulbs on the market today) and etc.
Thanks for taking the time to read this, I appreciate Any help or constructive criticism.

cheers,

chris
Agent86
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of Agent86
Ok here is the full details:

- The light is completely self-contained on a very thin table top
- Total weight is about 7 lbs.
- Everything is built in ready to go, you provide nothing(just replacement batteries)
- The remote is radio not infrared so you can operate it through a pocket
- You will need to plug in the lamp, the cord supplied is about 8 ft. long
- You will need some flash cotton for refills, although it does come with enough
for several performances
- Any ring can be used or anything small like a ring
- This is a real lamp,which uses live electricity, with a real pyro-device built in
- You can use any cloth - no devils hanks or egg style bags required
- No crazy gimmicks or difficult procedures
- After purchase your investment would be about 10 dollars (to replace batteries)
- Does come with batteries to start
- Comes with full routine and instructions and will eventually include a performance and explanation dvd

If I may have left something out, please ask. I want you guys to know everything about it.

cheers,
chris
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
You left out about how to replace all those light bulbs that get broken. That aspect alone may inhibit magicians from investing in your trick because of the danger of having a spectator break open a glass lightbulb. You might reconsider and make that version an option, with some other less dangerous ways to get the ring out of the bulb.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Agent86
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of Agent86
Understandable Spellbinder .
I have included two other versions where you do not need to break the bulb to retrieve the ring. And one where the magician himself breaks the bulb, leaving out any possible danger on the audience members. Also, the light bulbs used are standard un-gimmicked 75w bulbs. Replacing them would be a very small investment, 2 or 3 dollars at any wal-mart would give you 4 new bulbs. I am also including a version using the electric bulb you can pick up at any joke or magic shop. these are hard plastic and are able to have twist off bottoms. So retrieving the ring would be 100% safe.
Thank you for bringing that up though.

Chris
Agent86
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of Agent86
http://www.chrisboltermagic.com/ringinlightbulb.html

Here is a direct link to the site. Enjoy.

cb
Barry Daugherty
View Profile
Regular user
Indiana
133 Posts

Profile of Barry Daugherty
Sounds an awful lot like Devin Knight's effect. Have you heard of it? It's a cool presentation with a ring in light bulb. Even has the light going off when the ring vanishes. I do like some of the other comedic touches you add, though.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » New effect - ring in bulb (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL