The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Purist in coin magic? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
LiquidSn
View Profile
Elite user
New York
472 Posts

Profile of LiquidSn
Hey, anyone here hardcore about coin magic? by that I mean by using no gimmicks at all. if a trick involves 3 coins. you just use 3 coins. period.

I used to use shells and other things, but after watching palms of steel 2, I am a believer that using the coins neccessary is all you need!

Especially the repeat coins from nostril on the video, and the use of the mutobe palm! awesome stuff!

Tony
Blog about magic. by me.

Http://www.doublefacers.com
Kainoa
View Profile
Elite user
NewArk, Delaware
424 Posts

Profile of Kainoa
Hi Tony....there are a few of us, but coin magic has and always will have a gimmicky side to it that is sometimes quite nice (Mmmmm....copper/silver coin...mmmm). If you do a search on coins and purist you might find a few threads on this subject, as it's come up.

My rule is that its all about maximum effect according to venue. I work for drunk college students who occasionally tackle me, which makes me nervous about my flipper coin suddenly taking someone's eye out. Because I can go for awhile with nothing but four half dollars and maybe a chinese coin, I'm quite content to consider myself a "purist," though I do think playing with gaffs as little as I have has stunted my growth (magically, not physically....though you never know).
LiquidSn
View Profile
Elite user
New York
472 Posts

Profile of LiquidSn
Thanks for the reply kainoa.

I agree with you a lot. I just remember a year ago, when all I could think about is getting a shell and flipper, and I must have it.. But now seeing some great stuff on POS2, I'm thinking other wize.

btw, anyone know a good c/s routine that doesn't use a c/s coin? wonder if its really good, probelly uses lots of underhanded stuff...

Tony Smile

purist routine, Gary kurtz full frontal assult.

great routine!

Tony
Blog about magic. by me.

Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Tony, David Roth teaches a really excellent "purist" c/s routine with ungaffed coins on one of his "Expert Coin Magic" tapes. The spectator is given the choice of which coin you get, and therefore seems to be more involved in the final outcome than in other routines.

I share Kainoa's concern for suddenly being tackled and strip searched by the audience, (maybe we should just learn to be nicer?) and therefore use gimmicks only if the effect cannot be done any other way, and I can't do without the effect.

The advantages of this have been listed elsewhere, suffice it to say that shells dent, rubberbands break, glue becomes unglued, springs fail over time, flaps snag and magnets can be fickle. Sleight of hand with a consistent set of coins is more reliable, more versatile, resets faster, and real skill cannot be purchased and exposed by some hack. These are practical, professional concerns. Add to that the personal satisfaction, and you've got every reason to be a purist.

Rock on. Smile
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4857 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Yea I'am A Purist I Like to do Stuff that looks
like pure magic! And sometimes Sleight- gaff combo Stuff is what does!

Best David Neighbors
The Coinjurer
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
GothicBen
View Profile
Veteran user
England
353 Posts

Profile of GothicBen
Whilst I've bought the odd gimmick (folding coin, cig thru coin), I work ungimmicked. I'm no coin worker, but I do Coins Across, C/S, Scotch and soda, 2 in the hand, 1 in the pocket etc, without gaffs.

This isn't because I'm a purist! Mainly because I never had the finances to buy gaffs, when I started, and I'd rather not worry about resetting gimmicks, switching in shells and so on, when performing.

My performing environments, like pubs and clubs, were unforgiving, (as were some of the punters!), so I'm gald that if anything goes missing, it'll be a few 2p coins or a £1-25 pack of cards, not my £50 Coin Unique!

Ben
Andy G
View Profile
Regular user
Terra Australis
180 Posts

Profile of Andy G
I think you over paid for your coin unique ben! On that subject I had an unfortunate coin unique moment the other night. I had the 2 pound 2p version, so I put the two coins in her hand and tell her to squeeze, when she opens her hand the coin had broken in two. It looked like she had squeezed so hard the middle of the 2 pound coin had popped out! I told her she didn't know her own strength and moved swiftly on, got away with it fortunately... So being ungimmicked certainly has advantages!
GothicBen
View Profile
Veteran user
England
353 Posts

Profile of GothicBen
Andy, I was exaggerating the cost. I don't own one!

Ben
Kainoa
View Profile
Elite user
NewArk, Delaware
424 Posts

Profile of Kainoa
For non-gaffed version of c/s you could also see Coinmagic for a few Latta sequences (I think Latta....I don't have the book with me) that work nicely together.

And to ever plug Curtis's work, there will be a version of c/s on the next PoS DVD that doesn't use a gaff per se, but rather a fun extra coin that gives you an extra effect gratis. This is the version I've been doing non stop and killing people with (well, I do stop to do a card trick know and again).
Aaron Isaacs
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of Aaron Isaacs
Quote:
On 2003-02-01 08:59, Kainoa wrote:

And to ever plug Curtis's work, there will be a version of c/s on the next PoS DVD that doesn't use a gaff per se, but rather a fun extra coin that gives you an extra effect gratis. This is the version I've been doing non stop and killing people with (well, I do stop to do a card trick know and again).

So when is this new PoS DVD going to be available?
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
LinquidSn, If you are intersted in this topic, and the thoughts of me as well as many of the people that post here, read this thread Gaffs vs. Knucklebusting

Dan the Librarian.
Click to visit:
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
There, did you see that?

The chance, nay, an invitation for yet another shameless commercial plug, and I almost missed it! I must be slipping.

"Palms 3" working title: "The Funslinger" is now projected for the end of February. I figured that would be a good time, until everybody started going nuts over "The Elevator" Smile

Try to save some money. It's going to be good.... Smile
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
iamslow
View Profile
Inner circle
Proffessional Slacker
1948 Posts

Profile of iamslow
I know this is off topic, but does anyone know where I could find the explaination for Gary Kurtz Full Frontal Assault?? i bought the Stevens video, but theres no explaination! any help is appreciated
Smile
"Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face" Mike Tyson
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1060 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
I'm a purist too. I LOVE magic without shells or other gaffs because there's less to lose or break. However...

I agree with Coinjurer- I like stuff that Looks like magic... Shells and other gaffs make so much more possible.

When you think about it, using gaffed coins takes just as much or more skill as any other sleight of hand. I believe you can still be purist and use a gaff now and then- when it's most effective.

But for pure purist pleasure...

Check out DEAN DILL'S "No Extras". He blew me away with a 4-coin matrix using four borrowed (Malaysian Ringets) that I used to carry for a version of Bobo's gadabout coins.

No extra coins, no shells. Timing and some other very clever moves make it a miracle. "No extras" can be found on Dean Dill's video-"Intimate Coin Miracles I".

Smile
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
Tony
View Profile
Veteran user
Los Angeles
303 Posts

Profile of Tony
While I love doing gaffless coins, gaffed coins simply look very magical. A simple example would be a simple coins accross vs. a coins accross with a gaff. As a matter of fact I can do a simple coins accross with any gaff and repeat the trick with the gaff and they spectators always get blown away.
LiquidSn
View Profile
Elite user
New York
472 Posts

Profile of LiquidSn
hmmm i disagree with gaffed coins make it seem more magicial.

for example, Kainoa harbottle's repeat coins from nostril blew the crap out of me.

and i was even more amazed that it was with only 3 coins. great great stuff.

that made me believe that no gaffs is nessary for a strong trick.

Tony
Blog about magic. by me.

Tony
View Profile
Veteran user
Los Angeles
303 Posts

Profile of Tony
FOUNDATION. While I have gaffs, these are merely tools and/or aids in presenting magic. About 90% of my repertoire use sleight of hand without any gaffs. I do like to use a variety of non-gaff coins as well (clads, silvers, gold, Chinese brass coins, Aussie and British copper Pennies for variety). At times the beauty of coin magic is that you can use a spectators day-to-day coins (pennies, nickels, dimes or quarters--99.999% of the time they won't have any other currency or something larger than a quarter coin). It's a good foundation to develop your basic sleight of hand which can also be used for gaffed coins for those of us who prefer to use them from time to time. J.B. Bobo's The New Modern Coin Magic, David Roth and a slew of coin handlers have included gaffs in their books and videos to have variety and to give ideas about presenting a routine. There are definitely a lot of magical effects that do not use gaffs. With the basic knowledge of these sleights you yourself can develop your own routines--it's mind boggling but simply by just reading Bobo's book, for instance, you can combine dozens & dozens of routine and develop your own ungaffed routines.

Regards,
Tony
Chris S
View Profile
Veteran user
393 Posts

Profile of Chris S
The KING of purist coin magic today, at least to my knowledge, is Rune Klan. No gaffs - EVER! The best thing about learning from someone like that is if you don't mind employing a gimmick here or there, you can take his already stunning routines and make them just a little cleaner.

I may be a little out of line here, but David Neighbors - a purist????? I think I would have read 2-3 routines of his that don't use a gaff - the rest of the 40 or more I have seen are gaff city (don't get me wrong, some of them are great routines)!!! It was my understanding that in this context, a purist was someone who is using normal, ungimmicked coins. Please feel free to disagree.
May your moral compass guide you true - South West is where the honourable man fare. Pity those who lose their way...
Seth
View Profile
Special user
566 Posts

Profile of Seth
I believe that Mr Neighbours meant that he was a purist in terms of effect and not method. Smile
ActuariaLug
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of ActuariaLug
Can anyone comment on Rune Klan's "Three Pieces of Silver"? Does it come in VHS and DVD? Thanks.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Purist in coin magic? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL