The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Journey thru the Unknown Dimension (20th Century Silks) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Adam Milestone
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

Profile of Adam Milestone
My version of 20th Century Silks. Comments, good or otherwise, are always welcome. Hope ya like it! Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE2S53wJpJ8
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Having seen a number of magicians - at all skill levels - wave silk scarves about I have formulated a theory: to avoid looking like an oaf, you must be either extremely graceful with the silks, or else obviously campy. Anywhere between those extremes fails.

If I were you, I'd lean toward the extremely graceful end of the spectrum: you're a lot closer to that end than to the other.
John Heggie
View Profile
Inner circle
Huntersville, NC
1805 Posts

Profile of John Heggie
Nice job.

Thanks for sharing.

~John
Keith Brown
View Profile
New user
North Carolina
91 Posts

Profile of Keith Brown
Good job. Liked the vanish.
~Dr. Keith Brown
<BR>"The Master of Mystery"
<BR>www.KeithBrownMagic.com
<BR>
www.TheInvisibleMagicShop.com
Brian S. Tanner
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of Brian S. Tanner
Nicely done, Adam !
Judge:How do you plead?
<BR>Defendant:I plead insanity.
<BR>Judge:Insanity?
<BR>Defendant:Yep. I'm just crazy about that stuff!
Pete McEwen
View Profile
Special user
Durham, N.C.
575 Posts

Profile of Pete McEwen
Not bad, but I have a couple of questions. I've never done silk magic because I could never answer the question of why? the trick looks good, but why are they tied together? why did the other one get there? Why do it?

Secondly, is this a internet version or is this done for people? I must say I'm not a fan of people who are creating internet tricks that only look good on camera.

Pete
The magician formerly known as SPEEDcuber
"no one will believe the things we do if we don't believe them ourselves." - Slydini
PeteMcEwen@mac.com
Adam Milestone
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

Profile of Adam Milestone
If I'm ever asked why I'm using silks one of my pet answers is "I was rummaging around the house to see if there was anything I could use in an illusion and I came across these...they could be your girlfriend's, wife's, mom's, sisters etc. I like to call the solid coloured ones pocket hanks or "puffs" that I wear with my suits. If you don’t wear suits then you could say you got them at a garage sale for heck sakes; just because they were to cheap to pass by! Another idea I use is to match the silks (for the most part) to the clothing you’re wearing during performance so that at least visually they don't seem out of place. Very little in magic makes any sense if you really think about it; why tear something up just to put back together? Why vanish something? We so it cos’ we’re magicians and that’s what magicians do! Not everything a person does in their lifetime makes sense, people buy clothes which they never wear and how many times have you heard someone say: “that was so stupid of me to do, I don’t know why I did it.” To be a good magician, you must master the art of verbal BS which can make sense out of anything; it has long been a constant task for magi to give reason to what they do. You asked why the silks were tied together; to create an impossible location. I don't perform this as a vanish/re-appearance, but rather a teleportation of the multi-coloured silk to an impossible location which happens to be the tied silks ( they tied silks could represent a pair of detectives who are looking for a very colurful bandit who is on the loose and the glass the scene of the crime where they’re investigating and just when the cops think they’ve got him he vanishes, but …… and …….. always get their man! ) and in my opinion takes it from being great illusion to an amazing miracle for which people have credited me with having the power of telekinesis! That's why in the You Tube version I took advantage of the camera's limitations for the "vanish" so I could wear short sleeves rather than long, but other than that small change it's the same as I do it live and because every just about every restaurant and bar has wine glasses, your good to go in those venues, but you can tuck the silks anywhere, like someone's back pocket or if your brave in a woman's top; there's lots of places to put them! BTW silks pack so small and you can do so many things with them that I've always got some balled up in my pockets; that's all the reason I need. For some awesome silk magic check out Rice's Encyclopedia on silks; there kind of like the Tarbel on silk magic and worth every cent!
Pete McEwen
View Profile
Special user
Durham, N.C.
575 Posts

Profile of Pete McEwen
Yes, I understand your argument, but I also think that's the problem with a lot of magicians. We've gone from magic to eye candy. Dan and dave buck do some excellent eye candy, but all you'd be able to recall was "that guy did some crazy things with those cards." you're creating a forgettable act. Those tricks you mentioned, I don't do a lot of those because I don't have a good reason to do them. I like John Lovick's Reparation because it's got a humorous story that has been memorable for me since I got it some 10 years ago. I disagree with doing something just to do it. Eye candy is great to make somebody smile, but it's not going to make you a house hold name, you're going to be known as that guy that does some stuff. Find stories or reasons to do things so people get so wrapped up in the story they remember it. I do a triumph story about my dad challenging me, after years I still have people come up and say I did a great job to defeat my dad in that. They are so wrapped up in that story they'll never forget it. I challenge the same to you and everyone else. Don't just do it to do it, that's not magic, that's just sleight of hand eye candy. In your other video... why make the bottle appear? why have a silk in the first place? If you could make a bottle appear why not just make it happen. I suggest you pick up some of Darwin Ortiz's stuff and learn how to make magic actual magic.

Pete
"no one will believe the things we do if we don't believe them ourselves." - Slydini
PeteMcEwen@mac.com
Pete McEwen
View Profile
Special user
Durham, N.C.
575 Posts

Profile of Pete McEwen
?? it's always crazy to me... everyone wants to talk about the latest techniques and methods, but when a discussion about performance comes in everyone goes silent. What is magic? it's not a card trick, it's the image you put in their mind. I've said enough, just please go read Darwin Ortiz's stuff, I don't want to type anymore.

Pete
PeteMcEwen@mac.com
Pete McEwen
View Profile
Special user
Durham, N.C.
575 Posts

Profile of Pete McEwen
Wow... this angers me greatly...
PeteMcEwen@mac.com
joshua the magician
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of joshua the magician
Pete, I know where you are coming from, this is probably a question every magician asks themselves but don't bother answering because it is basicly a lifelong search.

tricks such as the hundred dollar bill switch, misers dream, and a bottle production are tricks I think are some of the tricks with the best plot. I mean if you say, I want a bottle of champagne, let me take this 15 inch colorful hankerchief that just happens to be in my breast pocket, and then hesitate a little bit, then a champagne bottle half of the size of the hankie comes out, that's just rediculous and then isn't logical magic at all, like you said.

but if you say, I'm thirsty, lets just use the hankie in my pocket for this one, and BOOM! yes that's what I'm talking about. a full bottle of champagne! then I think this is great magic.
But you say that using a silk is really just stupid if you were a real magician, well it is... but we aren't magicains. we are entertainers, and if you're magic has an entertaining, somewhat logical plot then this it's as good as gold.
are you saying you would rather not entertain and just make a fist and 30 coins fall lazily to the ground? instead of gracefully catching them out of the air one at a time, like an artist painting a picture?
do you see where I am saying here?
magicly,
joshua
joshua the magician
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of joshua the magician
Pete, actaully thsy message is not intended for you, I didn't fully read your other post before I posted it, but I still hold true to those beliefs. do you think I am wrong with any of those ideas?
magicly,
joshua
Pete McEwen
View Profile
Special user
Durham, N.C.
575 Posts

Profile of Pete McEwen
Joshua,
To be completely honest I don't really understand your argument. I believe miser's dream is one of the best tricks. To be able to produce money ad infinium is a dream everyone has. I also think making 30 coins drop from you fist is a great trick as well if done properly. See Dr. Sawa's Slot Machine trick. I am also okay using a silk, if you have a reason for it. If you say my grandfather gave me this silk and tought me these magic words and I can produce a dollar from inside. If you do that for a couple of coins, than bam that's magical. But, the part I'm at a loss for is doing a trick with no talking, taking to random silks, tying them together and putting them in a glass. Then taking another one and making it vanish only to reappear inside the other two. Why? I can't think of a story that could be remotely entertaining with that plot. I love the use of a silk for a bottle production, many have done it, my favorite being Johnny Ace Palmer and John Lovick. I'm not saying silks are wrong, I'm saying specifically this trick makes no sense to me. If I missed any of your ideas I'd love to chat more about it.

Thanks for being man enough to actually throw some ideas on this thread.

Pete
PeteMcEwen@mac.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20521 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Pete to me the very idea put forth in another post that you have to master verbal BS in which you can make sense of anything is a real problem in magic.

Often making "magic sense" is not good enough. It is things like this that justify soome of the dumbest moves in magic to this day. The Ascanio spread for one off the top of my head. The idea that just because it makes sense to us it makes sense to an audience is completle ludicris if you ask me.

It is also why I don't often participate in discussions of this sort. Also it is ironic to no end that you quote Darwin, when he did write a pretty good book on performance, but is probably one of the weakest professional performers I have ever seen.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Pete McEwen
View Profile
Special user
Durham, N.C.
575 Posts

Profile of Pete McEwen
Danny, thanks for joining. I didn't mean to say that just because you can make sense of it doesn't mean you should use it. A lot of these things are ridiculous. But a lot of the time poeple put no effort in at all. I think it should make sense without a very far stretch of the imagination.

About Darwin, he wrote two excellent books. I wouldn't perform like he does, but it is oddly enough a very strong performance. He has modeled his character on a card cheat. He is someone that would definantly be able to cheat a game and have nobody think twice about him the next day. I don't think it'd be my choice to choose a character which is forgettable, but it's hard to argue with something that's worked for this long.

I just think far too often we do stuff just to do it. And everyone wants to talk about how stuff works and what's the best gadget, but if they spent half of that time thinking about performance it'd be a lot easier to have a great show.

Pete
PeteMcEwen@mac.com
karbonkid
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of karbonkid
Pete,

You have a lot more to learn in magic. One of those rules is, to each his own. Because you use patter/story/etc. in your effects, doesn't mean that everyone does, or has to. Man, the first time I saw Cardini perform his cigarette routine, which is pure genius...he spoke not a word. He was the story. I rather liked Adam's performance. It's not something I would do, but, it's also not something that you, or myself, as a magician should frown upon, because I feel that audiences would love it. Ultimately, they make the decision on what is good and what is not good, or meaningful, magic.

Having said all that, I appreciate your passion. If you would like to read some really great applied theory posts, take a quick look at Whit Hayden, and you will see how he balances a lot of the questions and complaints that you yourself have.

Adam, I liked your silk routine. Very well done.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20521 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2007-10-11 01:19, Pete McEwen wrote:
About Darwin, he wrote two excellent books. I wouldn't perform like he does, but it is oddly enough a very strong performance. He has modeled his character on a card cheat. He is someone that would definantly be able to cheat a game and have nobody think twice about him the next day. I don't think it'd be my choice to choose a character which is forgettable, but it's hard to argue with something that's worked for this long.

Actually 90% of the "moves" he uses would never ever fly in most cash games. He gets all cramped up and really flashes that he is "doing something".

His performance itself no matter what it is based on is quite slow and plodding. Simply not MY PERSONAL choice for someone to watch. Keep in mind he makes far more money from other endevours than from performance so longevity is not an arguement.

You never personally put forth the idea that you need to master verbal BS, but that is the prevailing theory.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Pete McEwen
View Profile
Special user
Durham, N.C.
575 Posts

Profile of Pete McEwen
Right, I see how my comment came off. I agree he most likely wouldn't make it at the table, but that's his character, to the laymen that don't really study card cheating to them he could go in, cheat a game and then have you not think twice about him. I also know he makes a lot more money doing other things, but either way, Even if you don't like his personal style you have to admit they guy it doing good for himself.

I never meant to say verbal BS. I meant an actual reason for doing it. Even if you attach so-called "verbal BS" to this silk trick it still wouldn't even be a trick I'd consider putting in a show. It makes no sense. Yet a lot of us find that okay. I like to see a regular object being used in a way that makes sense. I don't advocate the use of "verbal BS" to everyones show, but if some of us tried a little harder with it, it'd be a amazing what would happen.

KarbonKid, Thanks for joining as well. I understand I have a lot to learn in magic, I never said I was the best or greatest. I simply think that a presentation should have meaning. I don't do stage tricks because I find a lot of them empty and really just eye candy. Which is simply why the day after a magic special you don't remember the names of any of the performers, just that guy that made a helicpoter appear. Which is great, but it's got to be a hard way to make a living. Why not find a way to add a presentation that appeals to people, I bet they'll remember you then. I have seen some of Cardini's performances and I like that guy, On stage you don't have to talk, but I do mostly close up. Rarely do you do a close up routine and not say a word. This silk routine looks like it would be done close up to me. I can't personally think of a presentation or "verbal BS" to perform it, that's why I questioned it.

It's my personal opinion, it's not "the way." But I will defend any of my personal opinions to anyone. I haven't heard from Adam in a while, it makes me think that by challenging him I made him think about it and I might be right.

Pete
PeteMcEwen@mac.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20521 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The whole point of close up is the intimate medium itself. So not to talk is counter productive if you ask me.

The very idea that every trick has to have some sort of deeper meaning is really troubling. Your not starting a religion, you are simple doing some card tricks. Sometimes just helping people have fun, IS MEANING.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Pete McEwen
View Profile
Special user
Durham, N.C.
575 Posts

Profile of Pete McEwen
Every single trick doesn't have to have a 10 minute story involved with it. It just turns out that the tricks that are most memorable have that appeal to them. I believe everyone should have a variety. I am not saying everyone should have a story with every trick. It'd be great to have a variety, I personally do. I'll do some stuff from dan and dave buck, then do paul cummins punken droker. People love the story, they get involved in it. but they also remember "all the cool flips the cards did." I just wanted to start a discussion danny, not start a religion. The very fact that sadly there are only 3 people that have taken time to argue any of this is ridiculous to me.

Pete
PeteMcEwen@mac.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Journey thru the Unknown Dimension (20th Century Silks) (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL