The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Magic for Non-English Speakers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Random_Hajile
View Profile
New user
Xi'an, China & London, England
35 Posts

Profile of Random_Hajile
Hi all! Thought I'd ask this rather strange question.

I've been asked by my English Language school to teach a 75 minute class on magic with a couple of tricks for the students to learn. I need to come up with a list of 15-20 vocabulary words that apply to magic, but could also be used in normal situations. I also need to decide on 2-3 effects to teach (I don't really want to expose too much) that will be simple enough in principle for them to pick up in a short time.

So far, some vocabulary words I have are: force, trick, illusion, effect, cards (with suits and court card names), gimmick, magician, assistant.

The tricks I was thinking of were: simple card reveal using a forced card, self-working number trick (pick a number and tell me which cards it is on) and I was considering a TT trick (I have a budget of 10 yuan per student and the magic store said I could buy TTs with a silk at 10 RMB a piece "just this once" since I've helped them at one of their promotional days for free).

What are your thoughts and/or suggestions? I've never had to teach magic to an EFL class before, so haven't got a clue what would be appropriate and have never exposed any principles of magic to anyone except personal students of magic.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. The students coming to the class have a small interest in how magic is performed. That was at my request. But they've never actually learned any effects before.
montemagic
View Profile
Elite user
San Diego, CA
471 Posts

Profile of montemagic
Misdirection (may be hard to translate), palm, pass, display, secret, magicians oath, steal, float, levitate, amaze, sponge, handkerchief, wax, fan(cards), invisible, mentalist, sorcery, prestidigitation (they'll hate that one), wizard, witchcraft, vanish, disappear, escape, handcuff, wand(appearing wand/cane), top hat, rabbit, dove, produce.

There’s a few.

Matt
Aim To Amaze
Random_Hajile
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Random_Hajile
Wow! Thanks for the quick reply! A few of those I was considering using. I think "Magician's Oath" is an essential one. I'll certainly use some of those. I'm going to throw the prestidigitation on in there to see how Chinese speakers react to it. Smile

How about the effects? Would it be bad to expose a force and a TT? The self-working trick I have no qualms about as pretty much most people could find it on the internet without trouble for free.
tony2514
View Profile
Regular user
Yorkshire, UK
162 Posts

Profile of tony2514
Abracadabra!!!???
Random_Hajile
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Random_Hajile
Ha ha. I'd actually totally neglected to think about magic words. Abracadabra will be going into that lesson for sure.
renzheng
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of renzheng
Maybe you will mention some magicians, For example, Houdini, David Blain and so on
Random_Hajile
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Random_Hajile
I was thinking of introducing the topic with some magicians. I've got pictures of Houdini, David Blaine, Harry Blackstone, Cyril, David Copperfield, Jeff McBride, Lance Burton, Penn & Teller, Eun Gyeol Lee and Dai Bin Chun (last two were winners of the General Magic and Manipulation awards at FISM 2006 respectively).

The lesson is supposed to be structured as follows:
1) Introduction to the topic.
2) Pre-teaching vocabulary.
3) Demonstration of the activity. I'm assuming this is where I'll be performing.
4) Practical activity. Where I'll have to teach the effects and how to present them / what to say.
5) Group feedback. Talk about what they've learned.
6) Round-up. Summarise the main points and key vocabulary.

Still a little nervous about how it's going to go. Teaching English isn't a problem, teaching magic hasn't been a problem... but the two together is making me a little nervous for some reason. Weird.

Thanks for all the feedback and help so far! It's been greatly appreciated!
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1181 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
If they only have a small interest in magic, then I think this does come under the category of gratuitous exposure. I've always thought you should only teach magic to people who have some kind of commitment to learn. I think you are right to have qualms about TT and forces.
Jolyon Jenkins
Random_Hajile
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Random_Hajile
Yeah. I decided not to do a TT or force with them. Just going for some simple, self-working card tricks and some number puzzle style tricks. I am, of course, going to offer my services to those who are more serious in learning magic... Good way to pick up some serious students, I suppose. Smile
Random_Hajile
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Random_Hajile
Taught the lesson last night. Went quite well. Didn't expose the TT or force but went for 3 self-working tricks. They seemed to like it just as much, I think. After teaching them, I couldn't help but do a small show for them. Smile It was mostly an ambitious card routine followed by a torn & restored card and finished off with Warp One. Quite an enjoyable evening was had. The students got some simple tricks and a free pack of cards to practice with, I got to perform (some I love doing) and the school even got me a new set of sponge balls! Can't be bad.

Thanks to everyone for your help and support! It's great being part of this community where people give good advice and offer great feedback to fellow magicians. Once again, thank you!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Magic for Non-English Speakers (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL