The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » McQuade & Swanson's Excalibur (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Dmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Crossville, Tennessee
1683 Posts

Profile of Dmann
Precision Magic is proud to announce that we have purchased the rights to McQuades Card in the Bottle and Swanson's Signed Soda Suprise. They have been combined to create a powerful routine where a card appears in a bottle.

Excaliber's Opening Routine is McQuade's Card in the Bottle

It goes something like this...A card is selected and is lost in the pack. You then take a empty plastic bottle and spring the cards at it. A card is seen to visibly penetrate and is now inside the bottle. Wow! Guess what, its the selected card. With the card now securely in the bottle comes the kicker. With a flick the card vanishes and is pulled out of the bottle and then thrown right back in. The bottle and card may now be given to the spectator as a memento with their card still in the bottle.

Excaliber Bonus Routine is Swanson's Signed Soda Suprise!

A card is selected from a deck, and the card is signed, and returned to the deck. The performer tells the spectator to examine a full bottle of soda that has been sitting on the table the entire time. They can look inside the bottle, and it is completely normal. The performer takes the bottle back, and holds the top of the bottle. The performer then springs the cards at the bottle, and one card is seen inside the bottle with the signature on it. The bottle may be handed for the spectator to do what they want with it. He even adds a version of a factory sealed signed card in the bottle.

I would be interested in any thoughts anyone might have regarding Excalibur!
gmmagic124
View Profile
Special user
751 Posts

Profile of gmmagic124
Quote:
On 2007-07-01 00:39, Dmann wrote:
They have been combined to create a powerful routine where a card appears in a bottle.

I would be interested in any thoughts anyone might have regarding Excalibur!

Who are McQuade and Swanson? (Never heard of them)

What do you mean combined to create a powerful routine?
What's the full routine these two came up with you speak of?

How well tested is this combination?

What is the set up time?
How examinable are these? partially? fully?
Are you left dirty at all for any of these card to bottle versions?

Quote:
A card is seen to visibly penetrate and is now inside the bottle.

Visibly penetrate or "just seen" in the bottle afterwards like most Card to Bottles?

Need a video of it in test conditions with LIVE spectators.
THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota, USA
2379 Posts

Profile of THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
I am Will Swanson. Right now, I only know about mine.
With mine, there is no set-up, everything is examinable, and you are left 100% clean (except there will be cards everywhere, becasue you just sprung them at the bottle).
gmmagic124
View Profile
Special user
751 Posts

Profile of gmmagic124
I've never seen a card visually penetrate a bottle.

Most Card to Bottles are "just seen" in the bottle afterwards, not penetration effects, just card to loctation effects.
Kinda sounds hard to believe you can create that illusion...visually.
This I've got to see.

Questions for the bonus...
(1) Is the sealed version 100% on-the-spot impromptu?
(2) Can it be done with a spectators borrowed beverage or no?
(3) Can both the cap and bottle be immediately examined with no switches?
THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota, USA
2379 Posts

For Excalibur, I have seen the first part of the trick, and it actually looks like the card pops right through into the bottle.

It is not 100% impromptu.

Both the bottle and the cap cannot be handed out immediatly.
gmmagic124
View Profile
Special user
751 Posts

Profile of gmmagic124
Quote:
On 2007-07-01 16:08, THEGUY26 wrote:

It is not 100% impromptu.

Oh Ok thanks.
Y2John
View Profile
Inner circle
1498 Posts

Profile of Y2John
Sounds excellent, I look forward to hearing more on this.
BRodgers
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of BRodgers
Quote:
On 2007-07-01 00:39, Dmann wrote:
They have been combined to create a powerful routine

Quote:
On 2007-07-01 14:48, THEGUY26 wrote:
I am Will Swanson. Right now, I only know about mine.

Quote:
For Excalibur, I have seen the first part of the trick...

It appears Will Swanson has not even seen the full Excalibur effect and only knows about his. This causes me great great concern on just how successful a routine can be where one of the co creators hasn't even tested the combined routine and is clearly oblivious to the others full work.

Quote:

It CAN'T be examined immediately...That's good to know from the get go.
Thanks for your honesty there.
Creator of The Phantom Band 360
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4464 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
It is good they are being honest...but why are people jumping on precision magic for this release?

Darren McQuade is releasing his version. Will Swanson had a similar effect of card in bottle, so to add more for value, which is good from a dealer, Dave Mann is putting the two together, along with another bonus routine from Will!!! 3 routines, instead of the one just one? That's great!
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
BRodgers
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of BRodgers
I'm not jumping on anyone...It just sounds very strange to hear a co creator admit he only knows about his part; therefore obviously could not have tested the routine.

And at this point, it doesn't even sound like the routine was even audience tested at all...in a real world environment.

Just gives me great concern.

I do thank Will though for being straight up about it not being immediately examinable.
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4464 Posts

It doesn't say he is co creator. His routine is just being put together in a release by precision magic. I'm sure Will has tested his, just as I'm sure Darren has. Why doesn't it sound like it has been audience tested?
www.magicman13.co.uk

BRodgers
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of BRodgers
The rights were transferred what 24 hours ago from an announcement in another thread. Dmann himself said HE JUST READ WILL'S MANUSCRIPT.

How can the combined routine have been tested and proven effective so quickly?
:::scratches head:::
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4464 Posts

Ummm...because Dave Mann is a dealer, who just like any dealer, if they see an item they like, they will want to stock it and buy it. Hocus Pocus or someone don't get sent something, try it out for a few months to see how it plays, and then ask to stock it, they buy it in because they like the method and think others will benefit. Dave Mann is NOT the creator, so doesn't have to have tried it. His job is to market and sell, that is all, he doesn't have to try it out. Like Freakey by Greg Wilson for instance. Say Greg sends...MJM Magic his Freakey DVD. Within 2 hours, they say they want to stock the item...are they wrong because it can't have been proven and tested so quickly? No, because as a dealer, it isn't their job to do that. Their job, as with Dave Mann's, is to buy in the effects they think their customers will like
www.magicman13.co.uk

BRodgers
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of BRodgers
Quote:
On 2007-07-01 21:35, Christopher Williams wrote:
doesn't have to have tried it. His job is to market and sell, that is all, he doesn't have to try it out.

I personally rather purchase Well Tested Material for the good of performing magic than combined ideas that make up a single marketed routine that haven't been tested fully by the co creators themselves or the sellers marketing it.

But hey, that's just me.
Dmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Crossville, Tennessee
1683 Posts

Profile of Dmann
Sorry, that I wasn't hear to post but I had a Funeral to attend... With that out of the way I am back to normal....OK a little crazy!

I have been working on this card effect for some time now and ran into these two fellows on the Café who happen to be working on the same kinds of ideas. They both had something to offer, to help piece the puzzle together to help make my own ideas work. That's why once I read the Manuscripts of each I knew right away that they had a couple of things that were really needed to take the trick to the highest level.

We didn't want to seperate the effects as they are better together. Some other company would have said lets make two versions an milk these folks out of their money. I wanted something that was complete and not real expensive. I talked to many other well known magicians as well about these effects. So, lets see if I can be a little more consise as to what can or can't be done and how it goes.

When first developing this I wanted to create a card effect that could be done everywhere not just close-up but even in street environments. That put limitations on the methods that are to be employed. So, I took a top down approach in developing the idea and Excalibur is the fruit of this work.

Picture if you will? Its hot, everyone is scantily dressed (or not it depends on where you live), shades are everywhere and everyone has something to drink including the Magician. He makes his approach to the unsuspecting crowd in his usual way...Asking eventually if they would like to see a trick. Upon hearing the word go...the magician sets down his drink on the ground and removes a deck of cards for examination or what have you (not gaffed). The magician has a card selected... It is returned and lost in the deck by shuffling. Any spectator can shuffle at this point. While this is happening the Magician has retrived his drinks and finishes off the third of drink that he had left. When they are finished shuffling the Magician makes a onehanded fan stating that some where in the deck is their card. He says watch and he shows his finished drink bottle and with a waving motion (the deck at the bottle)when suddenly the card litterly appears in the bottle (this has to be seen to be appreciated). Now at this point the spectator thinks this is a trick bottle. So, it is handed over for inspection with the card still in it immediately (no switches of bottles). While they are doing that the magician returns the cards to the box an puts them away. Now they think that the trick is over. They know it is cause they saw their card appear in the bottle. The Magician takes the bottle back with the card still inside and makes the card jump out of the bottle...and into the magicians hand. He asks the spectator if that's his card they say yep, the magician says watch and throws the card back into the bottle. The bottle is then given to the spectator with their card inside. That is the first effect.

What wasn't answered in the first effect is answered in the second. A new drink may be produced and the magician may even take a drink. This bottle can come from the machine to you by spectator if you wish. From here they select a card no force... returned and lost in the deck. The deck is then tossed at the bottle and their signed card makes an appearance in the full bottle. The bonus that comes with it teaches techniques for getting the card in a bottle while its still caped or apparently factory sealed. that's the second effect.

They can both be performed together and can stand on their own as well.

I hope this helps everyone get a picture in their minds eye.

I have worked on this for quite a while and it could not have been accomplished with out the expertise of these two young gentlemen. Thanks...
THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota, USA
2379 Posts

Who says this has never been audience tested? I have tested it many times!
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4464 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-07-01 21:44, BRodgers wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-07-01 21:35, Christopher Williams wrote:
doesn't have to have tried it. His job is to market and sell, that is all, he doesn't have to try it out.

I personally rather purchase Well Tested Material for the good of performing magic than combined ideas that make up a single marketed routine that haven't been tested fully by the co creators themselves or the sellers marketing it.

But hey, that's just me.

Ok, do you understand a word of what I am saying??? Darren and Will could have performed this every day for 10 years, and just because Dave got sent the manuscript and liked it so much he wants to stock it immediately, you don't want it?

Darren came up with a version, has performed it etc and sends it to Dave Mann. Will, also has a version he has performed and sends to Dave Mann. Dave thinks... 'Hmmm...rather than release these similar effects but different methods separately, I'll release them together to give my customers some value', yet you think he is wrong?
www.magicman13.co.uk

Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2181 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Mr Williams is bang on correct.

Your getting a better deal here folks!

Its a bit like taking Burger kings burgers and putting them with Macdonald's fries (I prefer Bk's burgers and mc'd fries ya see)

Enjoy this ingeniousness! Or suffer at the peril of non conglomeration of great effects!

M:C
BRodgers
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of BRodgers
I don't see the rush in geting something out without first fully testing each separate effect AS the combined routine.

For a manuscript at 24.95, I think some might feel that a little pricey, most DVD's cost that alone.
Especially where one of the bonus routines can't even be immediately examinable.
How is that a deal?

I'd love to see a demo of this combined routine...matter of fact, I'm sure the creators would too.
Dmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Crossville, Tennessee
1683 Posts

Profile of Dmann
I am not looking to offend anyone here in saying that I have worked in the Magic Business my entire life with exception of Military Service and kindergarten. I have demonstrated more magic in one day than most will ever see or even do in a life time. My job as a successfull magician is to sell tricks to other real life magicians who have to perform this stuff on a daily basis. Now I mean I have had to sell some of the worst junk in the world, but my integrity has never been in question.... If I tell you its good...I promise it is. And I back them up. I don't have to perform an effect to know if it works, way too much experience. In this case I did try it out and I fooled a house full of people and one well known magician (it was fun). So, If you think that because I put this together quickly that I don't know whats happening and how to create a successful trick. It would be a mistake. Anyone who knows me understands that I try not to leave any stone uncovered. I hope this will be taken in the kind spirit that its given?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » McQuade & Swanson's Excalibur (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL