The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Vanishing Radio. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Face
View Profile
Elite user
495 Posts

Profile of Face
Hi,

I am now 100% sure, that I will add "Vanishing Radio" to my new act. But I need youre help to find the best solution for me and to decide. Hope you`re willing to help me a bit Smile

Anyway, I have foud these four places, that sell them:
Malloy Modern Magic
PPMAGIC
Owen Magic
The Trickery

So first of all, does anyone have info about them? +/-? How hard is it to perform? Noise? Reliability? Price for Owens Product? Etc.

Secondly: Are there any other builders (Better Products) available?

Thanks,
Jürgen,
prestigemagic
View Profile
New user
Montreal, Canada
34 Posts

Profile of prestigemagic
Hi Jurgen,

I looked at the various solutions on Vanishing Radios you were considering. Let me be as straight forward as possible in saying that Malloy's radio is by far the most logical choice in all the vanishing radios out there. First of all it uses a cd and not cassette. Second it looks ultra modern, something that you would use in the year 2007 and not 1956 or earlier so a lot less heat on the radio. I can also speak on the build quality of Malloy products as I own some of their stuff...their quality and service is un-matched as far as I'm concerned.
Your only choice, consideration should be Malloy's Vanishing Radio.
Drew Manning
View Profile
Special user
Dallas, Texas
913 Posts

Profile of Drew Manning
Well, I don't do this one, but I will say based on the look of the radio alone, option one or option two would be much better. I can't read German, so I wasn't able to get an idea of the differences between the two, other that about $1,000 in price.
I live my life for a layer of ice
Just like those poured by my bartender vice
Any taste of vermouth would be really sublime,
When you have a good martini time!

-The Reverend Horton Heat
AmazingEARL
View Profile
Veteran user
Tennessee, USA
350 Posts

Profile of AmazingEARL
As a Magician, I've always loved the idea of the vanishing radio.

As a Magic Designer, I've always been disappointed that the radios all basically look like boxes with knobs on them.

As a Magic Builder, I've never had the time to take on the project and build one I'd be proud to put before an audience.

Until then, the Malloy version looks like the winner to me.

Dan Wolfe, aka. "EARL"
Smoky Mountain Magic
http://www.SmokyMtMagic.com
"We build AMAZING things"
johnobryant
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
195 Posts

Profile of johnobryant
Seems like you have found a variety of radios! One thing to consider is the type of act you will be performing. Make sure you don't use a 1950's looking radio in a modernized "hip" act. I agree with pretigemagic.

John
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
The Malloy radio gets the thimbs up from me too. Contemporary styled and matches with today's techie look.
Paulo Cabrita
View Profile
Special user
818 Posts

Profile of Paulo Cabrita
The Malloy version is the upgrade in the momement.
But I`m waiting for the video of the Malloy version.
I wont to get the radio but before I would like to watch the video demo.

Paulo
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
It won't be long before someone comes up with an ipod act, producing them and vanishing them like packs of cards. Until then, the Malloy radio, although still very boxy in appearance, looks the most modern. I'd be interested in finding out why it had to be a radio that you vanish in your act, and not a digital TV or an aquarium full of fish.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Paulo Cabrita
View Profile
Special user
818 Posts

Profile of Paulo Cabrita
The sense of the radio illusions is the magician put the cd and the music of the show start, this make sense and when vanish the radio the song can finish to. I think there is not problem vanish the radio(who like the radio)!

Paulo
61magic
View Profile
Special user
Seaside, CA
748 Posts

Profile of 61magic
I would wait to see what Malloy comes out with. I personally would like to see some pictures of the actual apparatus and a video before I put down $1800.
I would stay away from the Vienna version, I looked at one and turned it down. It looks too flat and unrealistic.
Professor J. P. Fawkes
Drew Manning
View Profile
Special user
Dallas, Texas
913 Posts

Profile of Drew Manning
A BA well on the right table and you could use any radio you wanted to....
I live my life for a layer of ice
Just like those poured by my bartender vice
Any taste of vermouth would be really sublime,
When you have a good martini time!

-The Reverend Horton Heat
natmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
USA
295 Posts

Profile of natmagic
Hi,
I have performed several vanishing radios including the German one, while it's great and works very well, I think the way to go is Malloy, simply because it's the most up to date and looks like a real radio you might use today. Nobody uses cassettes anymore and it really looks 'odd'. It would be cool to take out an ipod and just pretend to plug it in to some type of stereo system then vanish the entire thing ... that would be the most up to date version. I'm a huge fan of Doug Malloys and will be getting his one.
It all depends on your style of act, I know of a performer who uses an antique style of radio because it fits their act perfectly. I remember seeing a clip of FISM winner FRANKILIN who did the most amazing vanishing radio I've ever seen, and even though I've owned many different models I have NO idea how he performed his!
It was an older style radio (40s?) with the oval top and he covered it with an opaque cloth, you could see it right up until the point he throws the cloth in the air. Incredible!!
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1729 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Tim Clothier has a pretty cool Vanishing Radio (then turns to girl) Illusion in his book "Advanced Illusion Projects". I know you are only wanting us to choose from what you have listed. My vte goes for Malloy's. He's a great craftsman and keen usinessman as well... You can't go wrong with a Mally product!

-Bryan
Face
View Profile
Elite user
495 Posts

Profile of Face
No Bryan, read my post again! I don't want you to choose from the list I have putted together. I just wasnt able to find more. So as I told before also...all suggestions are more than welcome!

Jürgen,
Paulo Cabrita
View Profile
Special user
818 Posts

Profile of Paulo Cabrita
Quote:
On 2007-07-01 20:43, natmagic wrote:

including the German one, while it's great and works very well...

The Viennamagic vanishing radio is from Austria, not German.

Paulo
Paulo Cabrita
View Profile
Special user
818 Posts

Profile of Paulo Cabrita
PPMAGIC is to from Austria.

Paulo
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Here's a $25 solution:

http://tinyurl.com/yudajy

Any radio this shape can be vanished using either the same method as a bowl of water vanish, or with that nice handle for holding it beneath a cloth, a form vanish seems like a quick way to make it disappear. Unless, of course, you really want to spend $1,000.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
e-man
View Profile
Special user
HILTON HEAD,SC
810 Posts

Profile of e-man
We don't want to spend $1,000
We want to spend $1,800.00
我被烹调
ERIC HELVENSTON
natmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
USA
295 Posts

Profile of natmagic
Using Malloys you can do it solo unlike the suggestion from Spellbinder. While it's a good idea you would have to use an assistant ... there's food, their wage etc. Probably spend the $1800 and work alone without the hassle of assistants. You'll save money in the long run!!
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1679 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
Do you have to use off-stage sound with all of these?

Dan.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Vanishing Radio. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL