The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Vanishing Radio. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Natmagic: What assistant? You don't know how to do the form vanish without an assistant? You need to go back and read Professor Hoffmann - Modern Magic - The Vanishing Die. Don't worry, you can find it online for free.

Dan: If the sound is coming from an iPod which is broadcasting to your sound system, you can have complete control of when the music begins and stops.

e-man: You know the old saying about a fool and his money... unless, of course, that was sarcasm, in which case the saying should be: Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man wealthy with bags under his eyes.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
prestigemagic
View Profile
New user
Montreal, Canada
34 Posts

Profile of prestigemagic
I don't know about all these fancy quotes some people are saying here...but the fact remains that even though there is more of an expense to be laid out, the Malloy Vanishing Radio is much more practical than using any other method out there including a cheap looking $25.00 Coby radio. It all boils down to how you want your presentation to look, if you want to look professional, Malloy is the way...if your only concern is money and more of a difficult method and set up, then Coby is the answer..I prefer professionalism, great looking props and a foolproof method myself..but to each his own and I respect that.
prestigemagic
View Profile
New user
Montreal, Canada
34 Posts

Profile of prestigemagic
Oh and just a side note...not very professional to call people "fools" who spend their hard earned money the way they want too. I buy a lot of beautiful expensive props for my show, and if anybody saw my show, they definitely would not think I'm a "fool with money", let's be careful what we say to each other here guys and stick to maters at hand.....even if it was only a quote.
prestigemagic
View Profile
New user
Montreal, Canada
34 Posts

Profile of prestigemagic
Oh and just a side note...not very professional to call people "fools" who spend their hard earned money the way they want too. I buy a lot of beautiful expensive props for my show, and if anybody saw my show, they definitely would not think I'm a "fool with money", let's be careful what we say to each other here guys and stick to maters at hand.....even if it was only a quote.
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
I had a vanishing radio, that vanished from inside a case...nice case but radio didin't look good. So I didn't end up using it much...

Presentation does mean a lot, even if it means spending a little more, but I've not seen Malloy's in action yet or seen the product to make a call on it.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Have you wondered how much top class performers invest in their acts? I believe the amount is huge. It is because the purchase is considered an investment, these top class performers make bigger bucks. The money a magician earn from his/her performance is proportionate to their investment of time, effort and money they put in.

The question I'll like to ask is this. What is your objective for that purchase? To increase your income and commercial value, of not only your show but also your name? If your reason for buying the radio is on the business side of it, here's a question I would like to throw out. Is it just to fill up your show with one more prop? Or to increase your earning with unique props?

Of course if your reason is from the hobby side of it and if budget is the factor, then selecting an item that is affordable is always recommended.
Sam Pearce
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
310 Posts

Profile of Sam Pearce
I have a Vienna Magic Radio that was bought, and excuse me if I'm wrong, for around $1400 a few years ago.

I don't think it really matters how much the radio costs, what counts is how easily it 'vanishes'. But for sure you want to invest some good money in a prop, and Malloy's looks great.
But by saying that, it brings up some bad and awkward times of a radio not exactly vanishing... haha. It only looks great, if it works right, and we all know Murphy's Law.

Sam Pearce
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Sorry. If I offended anyone who has a lot of money to spend on magic, I deeply apologize for my remark which was intended to be humorous. I forgot that wealthy people often have lost the sense of humor they once had when they were not so wealthy. Please feel free to spend/invest as much money as you want.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
prestigemagic
View Profile
New user
Montreal, Canada
34 Posts

Profile of prestigemagic
Funny how an apology can still harbor sarcasm..oh well, on to better things. Great cooments fron you other guys though. I'm just one who feels that of course "you" are what people come to see and that should be the most important thing you show them, but what you surround yourself with also is a reflection on you, so I like to surround myself with top notch articles....but I certainly can agree that a lower priced and not so shiny article can do the job also.
Different strokes for different folks.
Paulo Cabrita
View Profile
Special user
818 Posts

Profile of Paulo Cabrita
Relax...

Paulo
prestigemagic
View Profile
New user
Montreal, Canada
34 Posts

Profile of prestigemagic
Never been more relaxed actually. Have a magical day Smile
natmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
USA
295 Posts

Profile of natmagic
Prestigemagic, your comment was very sound. I agree, as a professional magician who works full time at this and has been for the past 20 years, I have no problem investing money in to props. This is why I still think that $1800 for a vanishing radio built by one of the best in the business is not much money at all. It doesn't matter what you spend on an effect, it's only worth it if you use it. A case in point is Kozaks salt pour. People on this bulletin board moaned at the price, yet EVERY professional magician I knew who bought it and used it say it's worth the price if not more! Again, if you use it and make a living from it, then it's worth what ever you paid for it. Give me a professional prop anyday that FOOLS people. The new Malloy radio FOOLS people, the old method of vanishing a bowl of water or radio DOES NOT! It's in every kids magic book out there.

it's the old saying, you pay peanuts you get monkeys! Same with magic props and this reflects in your show. You build your magic illusions out of pvc pipes and you'll get crappy gigs and end up with a show that looks like highshcool kids put it together. You use professional props built by Malloy and others and you'll work high end top paying gigs and travel the world. Look at all the top WORKING magicians in the world, their props are built by people who speacilise in building, no knocking together something quick and easy out of PVC or bowls etc. Of course they also don't have time to write 2500 messages on this bulleting board because they are too busy working magic for a living.
prestigemagic
View Profile
New user
Montreal, Canada
34 Posts

Profile of prestigemagic
I appreciate your comments natmagic. I feel the same way. I also can understand that not everyone has the necessary funds to be able to purchase better looking props for their show, but I would recommend they wait and save their money and get the professional looking stuff like Malloy's vanishing radio with better advantages and workings than rushing and getting cheaper more complicated and less impressive working props. If you want to be and look professional, you must act professional...it does pay off in the long run, I promise. Very good analogy by the way natmagic, look at the pro's and the ones who get big gigs and comand a lot of money and you will notice that they put only high quality and great looking props in their shows. So for those of you who can't afford the Malloy Vanishing Radio right now, that's fine, but do yourself a favor and wait until you can afford it and then add that to your show instead of a less impressive and more complicated version.
Paulo Cabrita
View Profile
Special user
818 Posts

Profile of Paulo Cabrita
I agree with natmagic,

I´m a profissinal who works full time, and the best illusions cost money, is normal!
I have a very big investing money in props/illusions, this is the correct way to the sucess of any good business!

Paulo
Doug Malloy
View Profile
V.I.P.
Palmdale,Ca.
69 Posts

Profile of Doug Malloy
The video footage is now up on our site.
I shot a quick demo in the shop.
Hope you all enjoy.
This project was a labor of love!

Doug
prestigemagic
View Profile
New user
Montreal, Canada
34 Posts

Profile of prestigemagic
Thanks for the notification Doug!

Checked out the demo, and like I had mentioned to you guys..it looks awesome!! Judge for yourselves and take a look. This is the Vanishing Radio to own. Great job Doug, but then again what do you not create that does not look great.
garethwitty
View Profile
New user
Windsor, England
77 Posts

Profile of garethwitty
Well the effect is good, but the CD player looks like it comes from the 1987! Also It has a CD in the front, yet you load a CD into it?

Nice idea, clean vanish, but it needs to look more modern?
strugglingfool
View Profile
New user
New York, NY
14 Posts

Profile of strugglingfool
Perhaps this is a foolish question, but can someone show me a "real" radio that looks like the Vanishing Radio?

Many continue to say that this looks modern and real. I suppose modern is debateable, but real? Is there a power cord? "No, fool, ever hear of batteries?" one might say. Well, I've yet to see a battery-powered radio that looks like this.

Without a handle, even.

That "cheap" stereo seems to be the better choice. But I suppose that's just my opinion.
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1725 Posts

Profile of wally
If I had the money I would buy the wladimirs, this looks like an upto date stereo / hi-fi , wish I had a plan to make one.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Vanishing Radio. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL