The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Kid's Show Items - Thoughts? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12222 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2007-07-02 17:22, Frank Starsini wrote:

Grab a coffee can and some half dollars and a notebook and within a few weeks you can write yourself a miser's dream routine that would blow away any of these store-bought props.


Frank,

What kind of coffee can?

J
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1627 Posts

Profile of randirain
Wow... people actually agree with me... never had that before.

But seriously...

I say this over and over, and no one believes me.
(except for the others that already do it)
You can go spend hundreds of dollars on big props and they might play OK.
Then do the hank mouse routine and the kids will go nuts.
An 87 cent hanky can be your best magic purchase.

But vinnie,
You may say you want to get big props.
Just wait, you'll get tired of lugging them around.
I promise.

Randi
Image
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1437 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
Hi Vinnie,

I also like the big props, and if you're gonna lug and have the $$, why not go for some Wolf's Magic items (check out Blow Yur Stack as a comparable item to Lemon Game). A great carrying case or three will be a must, and I have found a great close-out carrying case at the suggestion of another Magic Café poster - http://www.casesandmore.com/asp/show_detail.asp?sku=TZ1075

I would also go for more colorful stuff for kids - great hanky tricks from Wonder Imagery or some of the flower magic of Derek Rutt.

Private Eye Python is great (and I jazz it up and tell the kids to wake the snake by rattling maracas and tamborines I hand out - they love it if you can get them to quiet down afterwards). Also, Rocky is excellent with some appearing/disappearing and having Rocky, the Python and another puppet misguess a card as a running gag (I use alphabet cards, but am also looking for suitable Dora or Diego cards, etc.). For the young kiddies also, how about some nursery rhyme tricks (Humpty Dumpty Paper Tear, Jam Magic Three Little Pigs, etc.)?

Rabbid I believe to be more for teenagers or at least 9/10s (scary face). The bandana is good but perhaps a little overused (I think the same for Run Rabbit Run, but a good sucker trick is a must - I'd go for the Crazy Crayons, Ketchupside Down, or PB and J). I don't like Sorcerer's Assistant because the joke is on your volunteer, and in the David Ginn tradition, I think it's better to be the butt of the jokes and boost the kids egos up and have them "do" the magic. If Dot's Next is the pips card, it's good and I use it, but if I had a "do over" I'd go for the chocolate chip cookie version (Mrs. Brown's Cookie)which I don't have, but which just seems cooler.

Also, some killer comedy tricks for kids are Kandu's Crazy Box and Kandu's Rope Trick (Jeff Eaton sells direct and I believe they are also available from a few dealers).

I don't have the Axtell Drawing Board but lots of people rave about it. Also, one I've heard is quite good and just ordered from a Café seller is Gene Anderson's Picto Transpo.

I wish I had done what you're doing and researched before buying. Good luck to you. I would just look at the following creative dealer's sites before deciding: Derek Rutt Creations, Tim Sonefelt Wonder Imagery, Barry Mitchell, and Wolf Magic(sounds like you just won the lottery or something - good luck).

Posted: Jul 2, 2007 9:55pm
Also, I was not very impressed with the Magic Tie and would not recommend it. Nielson's bottles are a great concept, but I'd be wary of the ketchup bottle because it may be something kids are no longer familiar with (they all know the new shape now - I might go with the vanishing coke bottle instead). The mismade flag is great, especially in combo with the crystal tube (variations on the Silly Billy routine from Seriously Silly).

Posted: Jul 2, 2007 10:09pm
Got it covered and the split deck look fantastic. Never heard of them before now (thanks for the links Vinnie). Does anyone use these with kids? How do they go over?
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I agree with Mumblemore last sentence. (before he made another post) The mis made flag with two volunteers is always a winner, and Silly Billy's chrystal tube routine which he has posted on his web site for free is 5 minutes of fun that you can put in your pocket.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12222 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2007-07-02 21:55, Mumblemore wrote:
Nielson's bottles are a great concept, but I'd be wary of the ketchup bottle because it may be something kids are no longer familiar with (they all know the new shape now - I might go with the vanishing coke bottle instead).


Ahhh, the NEW shape catsup bottle is EXACTLY why the old bottle is still relevant.

Show it in a bag and say, "Why did it take them So long to come out with the new catsup bottle? You know, the one with the cap on the bottom? You know the one." As you say this remove the catsup bottle in and out of the bag.

"I wonder what they are going to do with all these old bottles? These glass bottles. Maybe make them disappear." Now do the gag where you hold the bag upside down while holding the bottle inside.

Then finally say, "Oh well we'll never know what they do with those old bottles will we?" and squish up the bag.

Don't be so quick to dispense with the classics. That bottle will be around for a while in MY arsenal.

John
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13411 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2007-07-02 18:01, Vinnie Laraway wrote:
Frank,

Sorry for being so rude to you before.
-Vinnie


No offense taken. Best of luck! Let us know what ends up working for you.

Quote:
On 2007-07-02 19:23, johncesta wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-07-02 17:22, Frank Starsini wrote:

Grab a coffee can and some half dollars and a notebook and within a few weeks you can write yourself a miser's dream routine that would blow away any of these store-bought props.


Frank,

What kind of coffee can?

J


Best post of the week. Congats John!!!! Smile Smile
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1437 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
That is a good bit of business John . . . My ketchup bottle stands corrected.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Vinnie,

How old are you?

What is your character?

What is the theme of your show?

What is your target age group?

Are you interested in birthday parties, a family show, or both?

A list of tricks is just a list of tricks. Any of the items you mention are great tricks or great bombs depending on how (and by whom) they are presented.

I also notice you don't mention any bits or gags that you do. These are often the glue that holds an act together and give it a premise.

I'd need a bit more information about who you are on stage to really be able to give an opinion about any of the tricks on this list working for you.

Best,

Dan-

Quote:
On 2007-07-02 15:36, Harris wrote:
Making it your own, whether with the classics or garage sale items is essential..At least for this nearly normal one.

Things I have added to my program lately(not that you asked).
Table cloth that morphs several time into other things.
3 new oversized harmonica's (in 6 different keys).
2 hats.
Train Whistle.

Harris


Harris,

That is gold!

Best,

Dan-
Image

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Doodad
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of Doodad
I think kids would still recognize the classic ketchup bottle because its still the one used in most restaurants. What I do to cement the image that its a real bottle is, during my act I bring out a real one that is in an identical bag to the trick bottle. I ask if anyone wants to see a great ketchup trick and bang the glass bottle against my trunk (or table, whatever.) I then say, "no? not yet? okay we'll come back to it." I do this several times leading up to the actual trick. It just makes the effect so much more a killer one because they heard the glass bottle several times!
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
My favorate card trick for kids?
trevor lewis's cards across

Vinnie buy this book TREVOR LEWIS UNCUT and you will have tricks and bits of business for ever.
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Profile of Vinnie Laraway
Everyone, thanks so much! This information is priceless! =]

Mumblemore, WOW! A great deal of info! Why I'd rather The Lemon Game over a Wolf's Product: Because I will be doing kids shows, but also adult shows int he future. I see that I can make The Lemon Game into a kids routine, and also play another routine for the adults. I just don't see that happening with Blow Yur Load. =D

Danny:
-I am 16 (17 July 22nd Smile )
-My character is a professional looking teen magician mixed with humor, comedy, gags, and jokes.
-No theme really. Should there be a theme? =/
-Target age group is about 5-8 years old
-Both Kids Shows & Family Shows. The act will be different for both.

Also, Dan, I've said it once, and I'll say it again - I KNOW that presentation is EVERYTHING. I know that.
Concerning the gags, they are all worked into the tricks. Everything will be worked in with the effects when I order what I decide to order, and then put together the presentations of each routine.

Doodad, very nice idea on building up the Vanishing Ketchup effect! I like it! Smile

Thanks Robert, I'll look into it. =]

Everyone, once again, thanks for all of the help! Please keep the great comments and bits of constructive criticism coming!
I will be away with the family from Tuesday-Sunday night, so please don't take offense if I'm not replying. Hehe.

See you guys soon, and have a great 4th of July!
-Vinnie
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4621 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
Most of the items you mention are awesome! You've chosen many of my favourites.... The Lemon Game is excellent, you may want to research other versions of Bill to Lemon also. Plays great for 7 yrs+.
Inexhaustible Sponge is great, but I rarely use mine. Just too much hassle, a bucket, water, possible mess, etc. Good for outdoor summer events though.
Prof Cheer's Rope Routine - excellent, but as has been mentioned, rather a bore to set up. I have the basic £20 version, and when I used it regularly, it took about 2 minutes to set, the only evidence was a bulge in my back pocket, which was covered by my jacket. It's the sort of effect you do near the start of the show anyway, in my opinon, so you can ditch the ropes early on. I'm not sure I'd want to have the "harness" thingy, as presumably you still have that on after the rope production? Overall, it gets the thumbs down from me because in reality the working magician doesn't want to faff around with all that rope just before every show.
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
I know the trend is to pack small, but I remember when I was young, the props were just as amazing to me as the trick...so it's okay to have nice looking props in your program too...
Ninad_Magic
View Profile
New user
India
36 Posts

Profile of Ninad_Magic
Hi,
The private eye python is really great trick, and having excellent effect on stage
I know another model of this trick which is more real than you have seen this is made in fiber plastic light weight and very easy to operate and if you look at the cost is good one, right now it is available in only shop all over the world but shortly you get it from Utah.
if you want buy it contact http://www.magicmakerindia.netfirms.com or wait 2 week more I will tell you where it will available in us.
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1877 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
Target audence and your character is key. Who are they, who are you???


I don't use traditional kid's magic for several reasons. 1) They are boring to ME. 2) They MAY be boring to the adult that writes the check. 3) Everyone does them 4) They are age limiting. I do shows for adults down, and I want the maximum use for each one. I just got a floating table. I can use it for kids, families, adults, my bizarre show, my mentalism show, my pirate show and the "Dr. Blood" type show I am putting together. I want props that look nice, because they are a reflection on me. I like props that look expensive, because it helps the client justify my price. (No, I am not saying talent is not most important, I just find I can get more cash from nice props.)If something small can do the same as something large, go with the large! (*L* Ok, I just said that to bait Danny! *G*, actually go with the small.)

I HIGHLY recommend you develop routines and props that are fun for you LONG TERM and make you unique in your area. Unique is remembered. Unique sells. Why not try Celibri-Tie??? It is only about $125 and people will talk about it and remember you for it. It can be done for all groups, and can fit into MOST presentations. What about an Axtel board. About $150, but works for all ages of kids too. You may have to learn to vent, but the mechanics of it is not that hard.
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Profile of Vinnie Laraway
Thanks a lot guys! This has been such a great help! (Oh yeah, I'm home a day early. Smile )

Anyways, CaptainKid, thanks. I know exactly where your coming from by saying that the effects you use should be for all types of venues. That is why I want The Lemon Game so badly. Its a beautiful routine to start with, loads of comedy, can be adapted to be done in a family or children's show, and is a good 7-10 minute routine.

Thanks again for everyones help!
-Vinnie
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13411 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
If you want a great kid's routine with nothing more than a silk and a TT you should get great mileage from a combination of the ideas in Seriously Silly, and Payne's lecture notes (a member here).

Payne's routine in the back of his notes are fantastic. I love routines like this.

The man has a brain and uses it.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
MrFye
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of MrFye
I agree that more information, especially the age range of the audience, is paramount to giving you proper advice. I don't bother with card tricks until the audience reaches double digits in age. I only use one of the tricks on your list and that is
DOT'S NEXT or WHAT'S NEXT. I have used it in every children's show in the last 15 years. It lays flat in my trunk taking up almost no space. It is a durable piece of equipment that I love using as an opener. I ask the kids if they are good at math, then I say I'm going to test them. I then have them count the dots.
It is a white card which is a little beat from 15 years of use. I bought as a replacement Mr's Brown's Kooky Kookie. You might like this better than Dot's Next.
It is the same effect, but it looks much more appealing because it is a giant chocolate chip cookie.
wa-na-be
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of wa-na-be
Derek Rutt has some great magic tricks for children shows, plus if you go to his website he has video clips on most of his products so you can see how they would work in a show. Mike Bent also has a lot of good items for children shows. Chance Wolf also. There are plenty more but these three are really good
chris mcbrien
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1235 Posts

Profile of chris mcbrien
Vinnie, you and I got 'da same "Birt-day"!!!!
Happy "Birt-day" to yoo's, kid!

So how's the show coming together?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Kid's Show Items - Thoughts? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL