The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Okay, so my wife wants to perform... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1729 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
So here's what's up... My wife wants me to include her into our show more than just handing me the various effects (or tricks- if you will). She would actually like to take a stab at performing her own routine. Since he knowledge of magic is only based on watching me practice, she wants me to design her act.

Here's what I was thinking...

She walks out on stage empty handed and produces a bright pink silk by use of a flash string production. She then vanishes the silk by use of a TT and procedes to show a Phantom Tube to be empty and produces the silk from inside of it. Next, she wraps a lit candle and blows it out at the same time vanishihng it. The candle becomes a diamond necklace that she places around her neck. She now takes the previously appeared pink silk and does a colorchange to a black silk. The pink silk re-appears by use of a Crystal Cube. She wads the two silks together and places them inside of a plexi- Dove's to Rabbit (or plexi- Mini Lion's Bride) and makes our black cat appear with a pink silk ribbon around it's neck...

Any suggestions? I'm trying to keep it pretty straight forward with commercialized "easy-to-master" effects so she can focus on her performance with less technical work to stress over. Would you make any tweaks within the format of the routine or keep it the way it is?

Here is a rendering I did of what the equipment would look like:

I would like to make it as extremely "girly" as possible so it screams "Female Magic Equipment ONLY!!! My wife loves the "girly punk-rock style", so I figured I would try to match the effects with that... The Phantom Tube would be powder-coated pearl white with bright pink tips. The candle would be white with a hot-pink candle holder. The Crystal Cube would be a traditional Crystal Cube; however, I would like to put a diamond-plate vinyl frame on it instead of the traditional holographic tape. The tables would be black with black pedistal bases w/ a pink powder-coated trim. The Doves to Rabbit/ Mini Lion's Bride would be all plexi with a pink powdercoated frame. The foulard would be black with a checker border on the outside of it...
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1729 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
I played around with paintshop a bit and came up with this rendering...

Now you have a better idea of what it'll look like (minus the foulard over the plexi-Mini-Lion's Bride.

-Bryan
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1851 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
Look's and sounds good so far!
TheGreatNancini
View Profile
Veteran user
Ohio
373 Posts

Profile of TheGreatNancini
Being a lady magician myself, I think you are off to a great start! Actually if the act fits her personality and she is cool with it, I think you've got it! I prefer the pink & black "lady" look myself!

I am also a cat lover and would love to put my own in one of my acts. Just out of curiosity though, do you have a quiet kitty or do you plan on having music in the background to drown out any meows?
-- Nancilee N. Jones --
Website | Facebook | Twitter
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1134 Posts

Profile of Eldon
Very good Bryan.
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1729 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Nancini- Our kitty is pretty quiet inless you accidentally step on her tail while meandering to the bathroom in the middle of the night... Guilty!!!!

-Bryan

p.s.- As for music, I'm thinking "Diamonds Are A Girls Bestfriend"...
Mystical Matthew
View Profile
Elite user
468 Posts

Profile of Mystical Matthew
Howdy! You probably noticed "The Great Nancini's" response earlier in the thread. She happens to be my mother. I'm 23 years old, but we still perform together. We work well together on stage and have developed a "sixth sense" that has become invaluable at keeping each other from certain disaster...

Anyway, I love what you've done so far. I think it's awesome that your wife loves the magic (and you) so much that she wants to have an act of her own. Have you considered letting her open your show for you? I noticed a HUGE difference in the audience response when The Great Nancini (AKA: Mom) started doing an opening act before my silent show. Our clients feel like they're getting an added bonus when in reality it's factored into the package at the beginning.

The biggest challenge I've run in to is that it seems like most magic acts are designed for the lone wolf going out on stage alone. At best there might be room for an assistant or two. Traditionally when we've worked together it's tended to be a string of our own separate routines. I would do an act, then she would do an act, etc...

The problem is that this isn't necessarily the greatest way to block a show. It's the easiest way, but certainly not the best. It seems really rare to see two magicians actively working together. Even in the exceptions I can think of (Keven & Cindy Spencer, Penn & Teller) one side does almost all of the talking.

Right now we have a show under heavy development that tries to address these issues. We would really like to perform the whole show, together. I know your wife might not be ready for that, but it's something to think about. We've come up with some really exciting possibilities. It's hard work. Literally EVERYTHING about the routine has to be redone from scratch to maximize its potential. Ultimately I think it will be worthwhile.

Here's an example - we are able to do some really interesting things with the well known Gumball Machine act. I literally stop doing the act in the middle of it and let mom finish. She is interacting with me all through the act, and the cross over is carefully scripted. Those of you familiar with the routine though should be able to envision the unique kinds of misdirection we're able to create though.

Here are some things you might want to think about should your wife eventually want to "take it to the next level". ;-)

- What makes your relationship with your wife unique? In our case I'm a son in his early 20's and she's my mom. How can this relationship be made interesting to the audience? You mentioned your wife likes the girl punk look. COOL. You're on the right track by playing off that.

- What parts of each routine can be "outsource" to your wife? In our case my mom's just as technically competent as I am (just in different areas). Obviously your wife's skill level would be something to take into consideration.

- What can you do to set your wife up for her "big moment", likewise what can she do for you? Everyone needs a moment to shine. We've discovered we both shine brighter if we help each other share the light...

- Today's audiences are ADD. With two people working side by side you can eliminate down time. What downtime is in the act and how can it be stamped out with the addition of a second person?

Anyway... Sorry to rant on you. This is just something I've been working on and I thought I'd give my $0.02 worth. ;-)

- Mystical Matthew
TheGreatNancini
View Profile
Veteran user
Ohio
373 Posts

Profile of TheGreatNancini
Bryan,

It sounds like your kitty will do just fine! And I LOVE the idea of "Diamonds are a girls best friend" for the act you have created for your wife! That is awsome!

Nancini
-- Nancilee N. Jones --
Website | Facebook | Twitter
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1729 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Thank you and Matt for the insight.

My wife and I plan to play off of eachother and bring out some good 'ol fashioned "newly-wed" bickering with a playful twist. A running gag through our show is that she wants to perform her act for everyone... Eventually, she gets her way and will perform this routine...

If you've ever seen Drew and Angela, you'd see a sample of what we are like; however, She and I are both pretty tall (whereas Drew is a lot shorter than Angela). My wife and I will play off of our everyday desire to gain everyones attention. She and I are always outdoing the other to gain a captive audience...

Thanks again!

-Bryan

P.S. Matt- it sounds like you've already figured out some of the phsycology behind successful acts early in your performing career... Don't lose sight of that...
mattmccoy
View Profile
Loyal user
203 Posts

Profile of mattmccoy
I really like the idea of the act. I'm not sure your song choice fits her style( personality or style of the act.) If she wants to go with the punk feel she needs a song with a little more edge. Just my opinion. That song is just too "prissy", or "snooty". Those aren't bad qualities for a character on stage, just not the ones I think you and your wife are looking for.

-Matt
Drew Manning
View Profile
Special user
Dallas, Texas
913 Posts

Profile of Drew Manning
Bryan-

Sounds great and she should be able to have that down very well in just a week or two. If she's into the punk rock thing though, you migh be better off with a choker of some sort rather than a diamond necklace, but that would really depend on her final costume choices.
I live my life for a layer of ice
Just like those poured by my bartender vice
Any taste of vermouth would be really sublime,
When you have a good martini time!

-The Reverend Horton Heat
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1729 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
She's into the color scheme as it is in her "I love pink" mode...

She's gotta have everything pink... Sometimes I feel I married Paris Hilton's long-lost sister...

She's not a big fan of the punk music though... She love's to wear pink, dreams of driving a pink car (and does not distribute Mary Kay products), owns a pink RAZR-phone, and loves that Bicycle released the pink cards!!!

The "prissy-ness" may actually fit well!

-Bryan
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
I really like the idea too Bryan...I'm putting together a segment for my wife and I and putting to the music "I can do anything better than you can" whatever I try, so does it as well or (by my design) does it better.

But I like your idea...
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
What about the gradual, magical conversion from punk rock chick, to pink pearls and diamonds princess? That would add the one missing element... a plot. The color scheme could go from more black/less pink to the opposite. Music could also go from punk to "Diamonds Are A Girls Best Friend", via some segue... wand zap and sparks fly off the Ipod?? A studded punk choker becomes the cat's collar...

Many possibilities here.

Also, if your running gag is the "upperhand game", be sure you have some sort of resolve. If she wins, your star status fades. If you win, you become a domestic goon. Neither is ideal. Perhaps a joining of forces to a better end. Think "Mr. & Mrs. Smith (Brad & Angelina).

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1379 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
I tend to agree with Michael Baker regarding the idea of a resolve and more of a plot. It will take a while to think this one through, but you could have a winner. I like the "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" idea.

Study the acts of other wife/husband magician teams and examine the concepts and ideals they have used to build successful shows.
Good Luck!
Autumn
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
Thank you for your thoughts Mr. Baker. Something to chew on.
Brian S. Tanner
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of Brian S. Tanner
I think that Michael's on to something , Bryan. It might be cool to have her and her props and music start off like a "June Cleaver" kind of jag, and as the act progresses have her, the props , and the music finale into a "Joan Jett" kind of groove.

By the way, I like what you've come up with so far for her props.Very cool !
Judge:How do you plead?
<BR>Defendant:I plead insanity.
<BR>Judge:Insanity?
<BR>Defendant:Yep. I'm just crazy about that stuff!
reedrc
View Profile
Inner circle
1347 Posts

Profile of reedrc
Here is a 3D design interpretation from Bryan's Drawing. . Just my take but might be interesting to see with lights and depth, hope you dig it. Keep up the great work Bryan.

More to come. . .
Kind Regards

Ryan C. Reed
Founder, Illusion Entertainment

designer, director, theatrical consultant, digital wizard, magic impresario, wonder aficionado, Illusioneer & dream architect.

Instagram
Facebook
reedrc
View Profile
Inner circle
1347 Posts

Profile of reedrc
Here's the front on shot similar to the computer drawings above. . .

Kind Regards

Ryan C. Reed
Founder, Illusion Entertainment

designer, director, theatrical consultant, digital wizard, magic impresario, wonder aficionado, Illusioneer & dream architect.

Instagram
Facebook
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1851 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
...a boy and his cad program! Nice renderings Ryan.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Okay, so my wife wants to perform... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL