The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Creating Magical Moments at the Store. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Froste
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Froste
...or wherever

I've been reading and hearing here and there about this idea of making magic wherever and whenever, in an effort to positively effect the lives of those we meet. I've seen the idea mentioned in passing a number of times, but I still am having difficulty visualizing it.

I'm hoping someone reads this and has a story of a time they did magic out in the world. I don't mean performing at a set time and place. I'm talking about truly "out of the blue" type stuff, effects done to brighten a clerk's day, or while picking up the check, or what have you. I do hope I'm making sense here...

What would "performing magic randomly as you go about your day" look like for you?
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Quote:
Froste wrote: What would "performing magic randomly as you go about your day" look like for you?

Helping someone to "slow down" when they seem to be spinning their wheels and getting no where, except frustrated. By showing a trick, it gives them a reason to stop for a moment and take a breath.

Also, when a child is having a really bad day (crying, upset, etc...), being able to stop, kneel down to their level and perform a miracle for them. It helps them to forget about their problems and changes their take on things, if only for a moment.

Keep the wonder alive!

Mark.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Are you looking for effects that have a purpose besides just entertaining?

Some "truly out of the blue" stuff:
* Impromptu pen or stirrer thru newer U.S. bill's hologram. To see if it's counterfeit.
* Torn and restored or multiplying cigarettes to share.
* Coin(s) to Pen cap to show where I keep my change.
* "Much From Little" from Bobo.
* "Ghost Bills" again using hologram patter.

Some I've used w/ some prep:
* "$2 Window" but with a $10 bill changing to two $5.
* "Color Changing BIC Lighter". For no particular reason. Smile
* "Self Folding Bill" w/ a switch for tipping.
* Jaxon's "OutSmokin'". Maybe I should quit.
* Wilson's "Florida Keys". Don't you hate it when the key keeps falling off the ring.

Giving a reason as to why you're doing magic is not that easy.
Finding effects to entertain with in impromptu is not so difficult.
Froste
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Froste
Not exactly, Jaz. I'm looking for stories of a time when someone did some magic for someone who wasn't necessarily expecting to see magic just then. Does that make sense?

I'm not looknig for a list of effects to perform impromptu. What I'm after is an idea of how to sort of break into some magic. I don't mean drawing a crowd or anything. Just something quick... like a coin effect.

Ok, for example, you have a new set of hopping halves in your pocket. You're at the convenience store and the clerk looks like they could do with a brief break from reality. What's your opening line?
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
The opening line would depend on the trick.

You already have a clue as to a basic opening line.
"Could you do with a brief break from reality.
I'd like to show you something."

Then go thru your patter for the trick.

The trick mentioned above are just a few that are done with common and common looking items. How you present them is up to you.

There's a couple of lists and ideas on my IMP site. The link to it is below my signature. Maybe it will be helpful to you.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
I've done it many times , especially since Mark Wilson in a lecture pointed out how it helps promote yourself as a magician. I do loop work, color changing knives, sponge ball tricks, etc. what ever I happen to have with me. I do them for waitresses (some are ready to have me exorcised for moving silverware around on tables and the like), the girl at the dry cleaners, if it is slow and no one is waiting for the teller at the bank, etc. It has payed off well, gets me more than a few leads for shows. These people love me doing the magic for them and they often tell other customers about me. I don't really liked doing shows any more, but I have done some of them and given the rest to other local magi who need the work. It is a great way to brighten someone's day, and a great way to get urself known as a magician. In addition in a couple of resturants I frequent I get seated right away now, regardless of the size of the line, and my dry cleaning is never lost or late.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
tony2514
View Profile
Regular user
Yorkshire, UK
162 Posts

Profile of tony2514
When I first got my G2 PK ring, I decided to wear it all the time, not just for performing. Initially, I had some problems with things sticking to it inadvertently and on one occasion I was at a shop buying a newspaper. When the lady behind the counter reached over to give me my change, a 2p coin (these are steel-core in the UK) leaped from her hand on to mine. She was a little taken aback and asked what had happened. Just for fun, I said, "I have absolutely no idea!" and I parted leaving her looking a bit bemused.

I have been doing a linking rings routine for some time now, but using Polo's. For those who are unfamiliar with a polo, it is a minty sweet (candy) sold in the UK that is round with a hole in the centre. I suspect that it is a little like Lifesavers Pep o Mint.

One evening, I was at a friends house and the subject of conversation at the dinner table had come around to magic. The guy who was talking, and whom I didn't know, was saying that all magic is fake and lame and anyone who fell for a magic trick was a foll. I threw a look to my friend to say "don't tell him what I do" as I didn't want to get into an argument or have to explain that the whole point of magic is it's fakery (illusion we like t call it) and that tricks are not meant to catch people out, but mysify, amaze and entertain them.

So, at the end of the meal, people were still talking about magic and magicians and this bloke pulls out a tube of Polos. He offered me one and I deliberately took two and said, "sorry, I've taken too many" then made as if to drop one back in his hand. Instead, I dropped both of them back in his hand and they were linked. "Wow, that's just like real magic, isn't it?" I said.
robertmichaels
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of robertmichaels
Love this topic. This is a daily occurrence for me. 3 reasons why. I love it, it promotes me and it lightens a persons day.

Most recently I did something at the Optometrist. On the new patient form where it says, " occupation ", I paused, looked up and smiled. The receptionist noticed and said, " What?" I told her I was a magician, she looked at the form in disbelief. I pointed to the line where I scribbled it and said, " See, it says it right there."

Then pointed to a spot on the counter, produced a sponge ball and did a routine. She told everyone what she saw and the rest of the office came out to meet the magician. Passed out business cards and they thanked me. Don't know who had more fun them or me, so I thanked them right back.

I always have something on me. Years agao I did a magicians choice effect with just a borrowed napkin just to see how it would fly if I had nothing on me. It was a simple effect but it played big. that's when I realized its all about how the audience views the magic.
Gerald Deutsch
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of Gerald Deutsch
I've come across a little boy or girl crying often. Several times a month I do magic at a children's hospital.

One of the quickest way to stop the crying is with the squeaker.

I touch the child's finger and it squeaks and I look surprised and confused. "What's that with your finger?" I ask and almost always the crying stops.

I then touch another finger "Does this finger squeak too?" It doesn't. I again touch the first finger and it squeaks again. "I guess just this one." This USUALLY gets a smile.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Most of my magic presentations ahve been in sales situations in which the client did not know I was a magician or expected any trick. I used a lot of found object on a clients desk to serve as visual aids as I discussed a business problem. Often a client would comment on an object 'magically' moving about when I was doing nothing special at all. I came to realize that if the client's attention was focused on something else I could move objects unseen. So, I began doing it deliberately -- secretely transfering object in 'plain sight' but 'out of perception.' The value was that once the client accepted that I was doing "something impossible" they would be more open to alternative solutions to their own "impossible problem." I also would have trainees in a sales seminar learn and perform a magic effect. This did wonders for their confidence and presence. Thus, I estimate having done more than 4,000 magic effects in which entertainment was never the goal, the reward being the development of Sway Methods that I can apply to new effects for magicians.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
In a busy noodle restaurant the type were you all seat near each other on bench seats I did a Benson bowl routine with my empty bowl and rolled up paper napkins and a chop stick as a wand. Just the set up and a bit of fiddling got people watching me properly thought I was a nutter. Then as it all started to happen people were looking nudging there mates to watch. I did it slow and relaxed as I lift the bowl for the last time revelling all 3 balls. I looked at a few people watching and smiled then got up and left. Walking out side I walked past the window looking in saw people were talking to each other and two guys were looking at the bowl.

So this had a impact on people around me an is something I really enjoyed to do. I’ve often done quick tricks for kids on buses and trains. I also do a bit of origami on trains and hand it out to the people that watch.

Something small and easy to follow and repeats or has lots of moves is very useful. Something like fibre optics with a single rope and some ring and rope moves is my choice.

As for how dose this effect the people around us give it a go and see. When I do this I don’t do it as a full chatty routine just something I do which is happing in that environment.

Get out there try it
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I, at one time used the fire wallet when paying for things...but the reactions were less than stellar...so I eventually retired it. (Not to mention I wore the durned thing out)

I'm still on the lookout for effects that can be introduced naturally in everyday situations without saying the horrible line "Can I show you a magic rick?)

I think my recent purchase, "Key Master" may just do the trick.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
I like the squeak effect depicted above, LOL.

Regards,
Mike
Doctor Xombie
View Profile
Regular user
FL (formerly Planet X)
109 Posts

Profile of Doctor Xombie
This is the sort of stuff that I think is absolutely great.
Something happening 'out of the blue' that looks magical; especially true if the viewer doesn't think the magician/stranger knows they are being watched.
-Roger "The Doctor"

Doctor Xombie & Roger Boyes -Author
Geoff Pfeiffer
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of Geoff Pfeiffer
I was out walking on a beach and a little girl was collecting shells with her family. I told her as I passed them that some of those shell may be magical, she and here family just looked at me as if to say what do you mean. I stepped over to them and showed the little girl how magical coins can be found within some shells. I produced a quarter from a shell then gave it to her, as it was her shell anyways and just kept on walking. When I looked back they were telling everyone around about the magical coin that was found within the shell. I love doing this kind of stuff!
MHamel
View Profile
New user
New Hampshire
71 Posts

Profile of MHamel
I love the Hundy 500 for this... I am always trying to pay for items over 10 dollars with 1's... then when I hand them a 1 they obviously wait for more money. When this happens I take it back and do the effect.

I know its supposed to go to 100's but I find when I do that people think its fake money. When I use 10's they accept it because its not such a dramatic change...

To each their own I guess but this way I can spend it and make someones day...

- Marc Hamel
Gerald Deutsch
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of Gerald Deutsch
Geoff Pfeiffer above notes that he pulled a quarter from a seashell that a little girl was collecting to the amazement of the girl and her family.

On December 1, 2009, on the Perverse Magic thread of the Genii Forum, I posted some things I so with a great prop - a rock.

On of those ideas was having a quarter Classic Palmed in the left hand and, while walking in the woods I would pretend to be looking for a particular rock and then "I would find it" and using a change taught to me by Sol Stone, I would hold the rock in my right hand do the French Drop, pretending to take the rock in my left hand and then when my left hand was opened the quarter would appear and at the same time I would just let the rock drop to the ground.
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
So much fun! I was recently at a store where we shop regularly. The saleswoman, who had waited on me a number of times, did not know I was a magician (sounds strange when I say that!). I asked her about some men's silk handkerchiefs and proceeded to produce a coin from one -- saying, "I'll take this one, it seems to want to pay for itself!"

Hudson
magic maniac
View Profile
Special user
516 Posts

Profile of magic maniac
I'm constantly using the TT bill switch to change paper into money to pay for things. Gets great reactions from the clerk and people in line. It's hilarious when they ask if it's real money, to which I reply "yea, I just printed it today"

Also, every once in awhile after I've purchased a lottery tickets, I'll mention I have a particular affliction for scratch tickets and roll into the Powerball 60 - lays the laymen out cold !

But my FAVORITE thing to do is card flourishes on the subway. This is so much fun because everyone is trying SOOO hard to not look, but eventually they crack and just stare. That's where I give them a smile and time permitting, ask if they want to see the impossible.

This is my favorite way to build confidence if I have a gig coming up, and I've gotten 2 gigs showcasing my talents in public.

Good Luck !
Jonathan
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
You can also do the icarus effect outside alone! It will gravitate people toward you, without you asking them to show a trick.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Creating Magical Moments at the Store. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL