The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Shorts and Short Sleeves (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
patrick flanagan
View Profile
Inner circle
lisle, illinois
1045 Posts

Profile of patrick flanagan
Rich says:
Jonathan,I also agree that freshining your sponges regularly is 'right on' in normal conditions.

Jonathan,you usually do make some salient points.

You are no schmuck.

By the way..I did see your ACR clip...VERY nice.

Jonathon says:
I don't know who you are, what you do, where you work, what your background is, you have no website , no avatar, no information about yourself. Your posts always show a lack of maturity and professionalism. Your credibility my friend IMO is "zero".

Rich,
That will teach you to try and compliment Kamm. And to think I was going to pm Kamm and tell him that I enjoyed his ACR, also.
Patrick
kammagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1304 Posts

Profile of kammagic
Quote:
On 2007-07-14 20:12, PaleoMagi wrote:
Yes,I am quite comfortable being the top Restaurant performer in my area..and I prefer to keep it that way.There are many hacks and wannabees around looking to undercut me. Smile

However,that doesn't prevent me from stating that:The Practice of...Askiing for and/or implying that you accept tips, is[IMO] a non-method,a very unprofessional tactic,and a blight upon the
art of Restaurant magical entertainment.

Rich


I make no judgements of you Paleo because there is nothing to judge. You are anonymous. But you and your professional ways seem the need to judge me without ever seeing me perform. You have no first hand knowledge of how I handle my audiences no facts what so ever. But because you are the professional that you are you call me unprofessional and a blight upon the art of restuarant magic. These uninformed accusations tell a lot about the person you are. Also the fact that you call fellow magicians hacks and wannabees. There are plenty of other magicians of different levels in my area but I have made friends with all of them. I help them, teach them and learn from them. I don't put them down. If I were unprofessional and a blight upon the art of restuarant magic I would of lost my job long ago. You say you are comfortable being the top Restaurant performer in your area yet you worry about hacks and wannabees taking your job. Doesn't sound like you are to comfortable to me. The accusations you make about me are a foolish attempt at trying to discredit a fellow magician you know absolutely nothing about. You're a class act Paleo. If this is how you do business. If this is how you treat colleagues. Then I think I understand why you remain annonymous.

Jonathan

Posted: Jul 15, 2007 5:36am
Quote:


On 2007-07-15 00:14, patrick flanagan wrote:
Rich says:
Jonathan,I also agree that freshining your sponges regularly is 'right on' in normal conditions.

Jonathan,you usually do make some salient points.

You are no schmuck.

By the way..I did see your ACR clip...VERY nice.

Jonathon says:
I don't know who you are, what you do, where you work, what your background is, you have no website , no avatar, no information about yourself. Your posts always show a lack of maturity and professionalism. Your credibility my friend IMO is "zero".

Rich,
That will teach you to try and compliment Kamm. And to think I was going to pm Kamm and tell him that I enjoyed his ACR, also.
Patrick


Thanks Patrick, I'm glad you liked it. I have been getting lots of compliments about that.

, Jonathan
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Quote:
On 2007-07-14 12:04, PaleoMagi wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-07-13 19:09, kammagic wrote:
I just think its strange that Danny feels only his opinions matter on the topic of working in hot weather. I gave good advise and so did Danny.
I guess your right. Im a shmuck, I haven't a clue what I'm talking about, I probably don't even really work as a magician.

I like Danny. He seems very knowledgable and gives great advise. But there are other opinions to be expressed here. I am tired of the feeling here on the forum that once Danny gives his advise everyone else better shut the hell up.

, Jonathan

Heat,Humidity,and wind are three conditions that really can impact performance negatively.

As far as performing in tropical heat..I have in the past..I'll defintely have to agree with Danny.

Jonathan,I also agree that freshining your sponges regularly is 'right on' in normal conditions.

Jonathan,you usually do make some salient points..but with me {IMO]you really lost some credibility wih the 'asking for tips' controversy.You are no schmuck,but you know where I[and most others]stand with that.Too bad you never came clean.

By the way..I did see your ACR clip...VERY nice.

Rich


Yes after comlimenting you you came back very negatively.

By the way I never said YOU were a blight on the Art of Restaurant Performance..I said the practice of ASKING for tips was.

That is all I have to say on the matter. Finis.

Posted: Jul 15, 2007 10:02am
Quote:


On 2007-07-14 20:12, PaleoMagi wrote:
Yes,I am quite comfortable being the top Restaurant performer in my area..and I prefer to keep it that way.There are many hacks and wannabees around looking to undercut me.


Rich

I do apologize if I offended anyone with this post.I really do not feel that way and Jonathan was right to call me on it.

Having had a relaxing Saturday off,I think the Pina Colada's caught up to me.
kammagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1304 Posts

Profile of kammagic
Quote:
On 2007-07-15 08:15, PaleoMagi wrote:
By the way I never said YOU were a blight on the Art of Restaurant Performance..I said the practice of ASKING for tips was.


OK I know of no performers that go up and ASK for tips. So I guess Doc Eason, David Stone and myself who prompt their guests about tipping in a professional way can all sleep better tonite knowing our credibilty is restored.

With that I agree this topic is finished.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21002 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Lets save that fight for another thread.

As for routines, here is a great idea.

Don't always practice with a perfect deck. I bet Keith will back this up as well.

The cards being messed up won't matter as much. Since that is going to be the "normal" condition of the deck just learn to work with it. You learn quickly what you can and can't do.

Simon Lovell does very complicated slights with beer soaked decks. It can be done.

As for Kamm, it seems as if you DEMAND respect. Well part of being respected is knowing the difference in fact and opinion. In the 'tips' thing you had an opinion. Ok no problem. Here though we are speaking of 'facts' and you can't add what you simply don't know. When you try it demeans your ability to be taken seriously.

Notice I am not calling names only pointing out a difference you should know.
Far too many guys here aspouse "opinions" such as you have about the tropics, as "facts". BUT in this spacific case, you happen to be way wrong. It is not something you can compare and have a good idea about. Sorry Kamm.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
kammagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1304 Posts

Profile of kammagic
Quote:
On 2007-07-16 13:03, Dannydoyle wrote:
As for Kamm, it seems as if you DEMAND respect. Well part of being respected is knowing the difference in fact and opinion. In the 'tips' thing you had an opinion. Ok no problem. Here though we are speaking of 'facts' and you can't add what you simply don't know. When you try it demeans your ability to be taken seriously.

Notice I am not calling names only pointing out a difference you should know.
Far too many guys here aspouse "opinions" such as you have about the tropics, as "facts". BUT in this spacific case, you happen to be way wrong. It is not something you can compare and have a good idea about. Sorry Kamm.


Danny,

I don't think you read my post then.
I said:
"I was simply stating what I have found to be true and yes I don't work in the tropics so people can certainly take that into consideration."

, Jonathan
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21002 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
So you are saying, "I certainly don't know the answer to the question but I am going to give my opinion and argue no matter what".

Yep that is a position that commands respect if you ask me.

I have to wonder if you don't have the answer why you would even bother to attempt it, let alone arguing with someone who HAS THE ANSWER!

It makes it far tougher to take you seriously. Not my fault. Like I said I don't post on web page threads, as my knowlege base is serverly lacking.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1152 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
Quote:
On 2007-07-08 11:45, Ted Danger wrote:
I'm interested in talking with others that work in tropical climates. I'm used to working in S.F., where sporting formal wear, or a biz suit is quite normal. Now I'm in the Caribbean, and will be doing most walk-around in shorts, and perhaps a Hawaiian shirt


you know the scene in the Sopranos where Tony's giving a barbecue, & wearing shorts (hey, Jersey gets pretty hot & humid in the summer!), & he says something to a visitor from the New York mob & the guy just glares at him & says "Dons don't wear shorts." ?

I don't think magicians should either. There's just no way not to look like a schlub in shorts. No offense.

Linen pants, or seersucker ...?
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
Quote:
On 2007-07-14 20:12, PaleoMagi wrote:
Yes,I am quite comfortable being the top Restaurant performer in my area..and I prefer to keep it that way.There are many hacks and wannabees around looking to undercut me. Smile

However,that doesn't prevent me from stating that:The Practice of...Askiing for and/or implying that you accept tips, is[IMO] a non-method,a very unprofessional tactic,and a blight upon the
art of Restaurant magical entertainment.

Rich


Good excuse for not giving us any credentials.

I am with Kam. I am getting really sick of the "arm chair magicians" on here.

Magicsanta is another one.

Quit hiding behind a screen name. Anyone with a few books under their belt can come on here with a ton of "experience". Where are the credentials boys?

You guys keep calling Kam out. Well, now I am calling you "arm chair magicians" out. You know where to find Kam and I. Where can we find you?

Posted: Jul 16, 2007 6:33pm
Quote:


On 2007-07-14 20:12, PaleoMagi wrote:
Yes,I am quite comfortable being the top Restaurant performer in my area..and I prefer to keep it that way.There are many hacks and wannabees around looking to undercut me.

However,that doesn't prevent me from stating that:The Practice of...Askiing for and/or implying that you accept tips, is[IMO] a non-method,a very unprofessional tactic,and a blight upon the
art of Restaurant magical entertainment.

Rich

So you are not confident in your skills? With the "good luck" gesture you seem to be fine.

Are you really worried that giving out info on here to back up what you say will get you undercut? Come on man....You are the best in your area, right? Tell us about where you perform...
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21002 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Well Hart I am pretty easy to find really. No need to call me out LOL.

I am using my name. Never once hid behind anything, OR gave an opinion when I didn't actually KNOW or experience the answer.

It is not about calling out anyone, we need to tone down the testoserone a bit. It IS about giving usefull information. Which you have to admit is tough to do when you never have had the experience right?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
Quote:
On 2007-07-16 18:35, Dannydoyle wrote:
Well Hart I am pretty easy to find really. No need to call me out LOL.

I am using my name. Never once hid behind anything, OR gave an opinion when I didn't actually KNOW or experience the answer.

It is not about calling out anyone, we need to tone down the testoserone a bit. It IS about giving usefull information. Which you have to admit is tough to do when you never have had the experience right?


Danny I wasn't calling you out specifically. Just frustrated with the way Kam has been treated on here and I KNOW he is a worker. Can't say the same for a lot of other folks...
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21002 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Contrary to many contentions I have never said otherwise either.

My point is that only when we don't know the answer, we should not really post. I guess that sums it up for me.

Jeff thank you for clarifying by the way. It really is the crux of the matter.

Now lets keep the fighting aside, as fun as it is it is unproductive.

Does anyone know of any way to put topits and such into light clothing? That may itself be an interesting thread.

Oh and to the "magicians don't wear shorts" crowd, tough to make blanket statements isn't it?

Tell you what when I started in the Florida Keys I wore nice suit coat. Not only was I the MOST uncomfortable guy in the room, but it made others feel uncomfortable. It was a place we sold $50 apps. It was one of the most expensive places in the Keys and I made myself almost unapproachable. Not the goal of any restaurant worker now is it? EVERYONE who came in was dressed casual. VERY casual. So I should wear suit coats? Not hardly. But again if you are not working these places regularly, it is tough to have an actual opinion now isn't it?

Your clothes are dictated by venue. Ask Eugene Burger.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
I think that anyone who works regularly has to deal with these conditions. It may not be tropical, but it is uncomfortable.

The area of the world that I am in can get hot and pretty dang humid at certain times of the year.

Is my opinion not valid because its not AS hot as the tropics? If something I do to cool myself or make performing easier works here wouldn't it at least help in the tropics?

Its also relevant(sp?). Some performers are overweight, some wear more clothing than others. Some have different skin colors. Some adapt to hotter climates easier than others. Some are old, some are young. Some work inside in Air Conditioned theatres. We all react to heat and humidity differently. So aren't all the opinions valid? Regardless of how hot, its still hot, and we are all offering things we have done to aid our performances in the heat and humidity.

So what Kam mentioned would not help AT ALL in the tropics? I beg to differ...
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
JeffMac
View Profile
Veteran user
Sudbury, ont
350 Posts

Profile of JeffMac
Again if you go back to the beginning this started from Danny responding to a question working in the Tropics and Saying that sponge balls tend to stick together. Then Kam responding with you don't wash them enough.
Danny had the experience for the question, Kam didn't and we weren't talking about opinion. Either they stick or they don't in high humid heat of the TROPICS. I have read other things Kam has written and agreed or made use of them. But there is a whole lot of people who feel the need to trump others opinions here.
kammagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1304 Posts

Profile of kammagic
Quote:
On 2007-07-16 21:07, JeffMac wrote:
Again if you go back to the beginning this started from Danny responding to a question working in the Tropics and Saying that sponge balls tend to stick together. Then Kam responding with you don't wash them enough.
Danny had the experience for the question, Kam didn't and we weren't talking about opinion. Either they stick or they don't in high humid heat of the TROPICS. I have read other things Kam has written and agreed or made use of them. But there is a whole lot of people who feel the need to trump others opinions here.



If you re-read the thread I think it was quite obvious I was just giving facts that I had found working where I work. I asked if he washes the sponges and a simple yes or no would of sufficed. But he decided to repremand me and tell me I don't belong on this thread because I don't know anything about working in the heat of the Tropics. He has the facts and I don't! Good grief I can still comment about working in the heat can't I? Apparently not. Danny is the "Tropics Man" everybody else better back off!

, Jonathan
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
Wow ....

Alright the question is can you use sponge in the tropics? Yes I do. I live in Tampa Bay Florida and it is no problem because I WORK INDOORS!! Who the heck besides street guys is working outside?

As for sponge I will call myself knowledgeable because I do have two sponge products on the market. What I do is use Salon alcohol on them instead of water. I have talked hours on end with Steve Goshman about this. Steve has put everything and anything on sponge ...oh the stories he tells!!

• First it cleans them to the point of sterility.
• Second it fluffs them triple the size.

Caveat****** use a zip lock bag to keep your sponge in, put a tablespoon or so in with the sponge. work it around using the bag to squeeze the alcohol around and squeeze excess out. then dump the sponge out on a paper towel to dry out for a few minutes. REASON: the dye of your sponge may and will bleed out a bit. The alcohol I use is this: http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/7600/160100

I find the sponge will last a good 3-4 hours indoors and 2-3 outdoors. OKAY I do work outside occasionally ... usually at night.

As far as poolside or resort outfits I usually gauge it by the clients. Business casual is light slacks or Kakis, buttoned polo, or hawaiian shirt. panama or straw hat goes well.

Currently for restaurant work I wear short sleeves or a dress T-shirt either ribbed or patterned fabric NOT AN OLD NAVY SHIRT!! With Cargo pocket Chef's pants. these pants come in solid colors (like Black) and paterns right now I am wearing black and white long stripes, I also have checkered pant and one that look like a series of patches sewn together. My restaurant outfit is more character driven (bowler hat, chaplinesque)

For Family performance I dress more like a Tacky tourist: LOUD Hawaiian Shirt over a colored T-shirt, Kakis Shorts, and panama hat.

another outfit I have worn for a corporate gig is the black magician outfit kind of like the ellusisionist guy. Sweat my spongeballs off!!!
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21002 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2007-07-16 23:04, Bad to the Balloon wrote:
Wow ....

Alright the question is can you use sponge in the tropics? Yes I do. I live in Tampa Bay Florida and it is no problem because I WORK INDOORS!! Who the heck besides street guys is working outside?

As for sponge I will call myself knowledgeable because I do have two sponge products on the market. What I do is use Salon alcohol on them instead of water. I have talked hours on end with Steve Goshman about this. Steve has put everything and anything on sponge ...oh the stories he tells!!

• First it cleans them to the point of sterility.
• Second it fluffs them triple the size.

Caveat****** use a zip lock bag to keep your sponge in, put a tablespoon or so in with the sponge. work it around using the bag to squeeze the alcohol around and squeeze excess out. then dump the sponge out on a paper towel to dry out for a few minutes. REASON: the dye of your sponge may and will bleed out a bit. The alcohol I use is this: http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/7600/160100

I find the sponge will last a good 3-4 hours indoors and 2-3 outdoors. OKAY I do work outside occasionally ... usually at night.

As far as poolside or resort outfits I usually gauge it by the clients. Business casual is light slacks or Kakis, buttoned polo, or hawaiian shirt. panama or straw hat goes well.

Currently for restaurant work I wear short sleeves or a dress T-shirt either ribbed or patterned fabric NOT AN OLD NAVY SHIRT!! With Cargo pocket Chef's pants. these pants come in solid colors (like Black) and paterns right now I am wearing black and white long stripes, I also have checkered pant and one that look like a series of patches sewn together. My restaurant outfit is more character driven (bowler hat, chaplinesque)

For Family performance I dress more like a Tacky tourist: LOUD Hawaiian Shirt over a colored T-shirt, Kakis Shorts, and panama hat.

another outfit I have worn for a corporate gig is the black magician outfit kind of like the ellusisionist guy. Sweat my spongeballs off!!!



Outside? We had a patio that was half the restaurant. When the snowbirds came down the last thing they wanted was to eat indoors. So outdoors it was! LOL. Great point though.

Also with the smoking ban, the patio (at the time not sure any more) was the only way you could smoke in a restaurant in Florida. I don't have one now so I have NO idea if it is still true. BUT business was booming because of it I will say that after the ban was inacted.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Ted Danger
View Profile
Regular user
San Francisco/Utila
101 Posts

Profile of Ted Danger
O.K. I've found my solution, and anyone willing to read this long thread, might get to this email. My solution was not to be found as a response on this list, just an accident, as many things are. My new official attire, is one of those standard fishing vests, and cargo shorts. That's right the same vest used by the camera news guys. Plenty of pockets, fit's right in. It's pretty normal looking where I am. It kills. Thanks for all the advice. I've taken much of it.
"One may say the eternal mystery of the world is its comprehensibility." Albert E.
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1626 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Quote:
On 2007-08-10 11:43, Ted Danger wrote:
O.K. I've found my solution, and anyone willing to read this long thread, might get to this email. My solution was not to be found as a response on this list, just an accident, as many things are. My new official attire, is one of those standard fishing vests, and cargo shorts. That's right the same vest used by the camera news guys. Plenty of pockets, fit's right in. It's pretty normal looking where I am. It kills. Thanks for all the advice. I've taken much of it.


We wanna see a picture. Smile
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24298 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Just a bit more about working in the tropics. Houston is just inside the Tropic of Cancer, and we have the heat and humidity to prove it. I grew up here, so I am accustomed to working in our climate. Actual humidity here is from 76% to 95% anytime it's not raining. We deal with it by staying indoors, where it's air conditioned!

I have two or three sets of cards -- one is for outdoor use, another for indoor use. When I'm busy, regular decks last no more than a week. Usually they last for one evening. I don't do sponge balls any more, because I don't like to chase them around the floor. Sponge rabbits get a really great response anyway.

The sponges we use don't come from the water, though. They come from Dow Chemical.

I don't like to work in shorts. I'll work in short sleeves and a vest, but I don't wear shorts because my legs make all the other guys jealous. If you want to wear something without a vest wear a guyabara type shirt. They have four extra pockets.

I have trouble adjusting to the relative dryness up North and the definite dryness in Vegas. Don Alan was from Chicago, and he really had it rough down here.

Even though Chicago is on a lake, it really doesn't have that sticky feel that we have down here.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Shorts and Short Sleeves (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL