The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Anabelle Space and Time Experiment #1 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Anabelle
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of Anabelle
I thought I'd try something fun with you guys here in the Café.

Just last night I had a dream where I was able to influence the throw of three quarters across space and time by simply having you read certain words off your computer screen right before you throw the coins down.

You'll need three quarters for this.

There are only three ways these three quarters can fall, all heads, all tails, or a combination of heads and tails. I will go against the two to one odds and try to influence the coins to fall as a combination of heads and tails.

This works because my magical selection of words will influence reality. It doesn't matter when you decide to do this.

Cup the quarters in your hands and shake them as you read.

Here are the words:

Quarters
In my cupped hands
Three quarters
Heads
Tails
Anabelle's will complied
a combination
a mixture
as I release the coins
Anabelle's will complied
across space and time
one ...
two ...
three!

Release the coins.

Please report your results.

If all goes well and if energy is correctly aligned, everyone who tries this should throw down a combination of heads and tails, even though I'm attempting to influence the throw of the coins across space and time against the obvious odds against me.

My second space and time experiment will involve cards.

Btw, this is all in fun.

Anabelle
sibbie
View Profile
Special user
East Coast
524 Posts

Profile of sibbie
Two heads/one tail.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
2 tails, 1 head.
coupcoupdaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
2466 Posts

Profile of coupcoupdaddy
2H 1T!
foreign correspondent, z and lt

inner being worker
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
All tails. And then they dematerialized leaving a icky black residue.

Cool.

- entity
rick727
View Profile
Regular user
Houston, TX, USA
188 Posts

Profile of rick727
Two tails, one heads.

I did it again using three double-headed quarters. It was 2 heads and 1 tails. Does that count? Smile

-Rick
Practice what you present.

Present what you practice.
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1739 Posts

Profile of Patrick Redford
All Heads, but no sticky goo... :-/ Maybe that's a good thing.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5852 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
2 heads one tails. You are one witchy woman. Smile
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
2h 1t
erlandish
View Profile
Inner circle
Vancouver, Canada
1254 Posts

Profile of erlandish
Magical selection of words indeed.
The Jester Extraordinaire : bderland.com
Ye Olde Magick Blogge : erlandish.blogspot.com
piefke666
View Profile
New user
germany
83 Posts

Profile of piefke666
2h 1t...
Andini
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, OH
685 Posts

Profile of Andini
All tails.
fishwasher
View Profile
Inner circle
B'ham uk
1231 Posts

Profile of fishwasher
2 heads 1 tails.
Sayn lay narn, marli?

http://www.bizarremagic.net
DT3
View Profile
Inner circle
Hill Valley
1918 Posts

Profile of DT3
Does anyone have three quarters I can borrow?
fishwasher
View Profile
Inner circle
B'ham uk
1231 Posts

Profile of fishwasher
No...I've got a couple of 10p's I could throw for you though Smile
Sayn lay narn, marli?

http://www.bizarremagic.net
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4934 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
I hope Arnon and HollyMental are sleeping.
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
Arnon
View Profile
Inner circle
1320 Posts

Profile of Arnon
Quote:
On 2007-07-08 21:23, Anabelle wrote:
I thought I'd try something fun with you guys here in the Café.

There are only three ways these three quarters can fall, all heads, all tails, or a combination of heads and tails. I will go against the two to one odds and try to influence the coins to fall as a combination of heads and tails.

This works because my magical selection of words will influence reality. It doesn't matter when you decide to do this.

If all goes well and if energy is correctly aligned, everyone who tries this should throw down a combination of heads and tails, even though I'm attempting to influence the throw of the coins across space and time against the obvious odds against me.

My second space and time experiment will involve cards.

Btw, this is all in fun.

Anabelle

Anabelle:

I don't want to spoil anyone's fun. Nevertheless, you might be interested to know that the odds FAVOR a combination of heads and tails to be thrown, OVER all tails and all heads, by a ratio of 3:1.

So you are a 75% FAVORITE to get a combo rather than all tails or all heads.

(Explanation for those interested: There are a total of 8 combinations of 3 coins:
2 x 2 x 2 = 8, since each coin has 2 possibilities, either heads or tails.

Out of these 8 possibilities, only 2 of them are all heads or all tails, namely HHH or TTT.

Six of the 8 possibilities are combos: HTT, HTH, HHT, THH, THT, TTH.

So the chances of getting a combo are 6 out of 8, or 75%. The odds are 6 to 2, or 3 to 1, in FAVOR of getting a combo).

It seems like you calculated the odds as ONE possiblity of all heads, ONE possibility of all tails, and ONE possiblity of a combo, so that the odds would be 2 to 1 against a combo. The above analysis should make it clear why that method of calculation is faulty.

I am inclined toward mysticism, but not without recognizing reality and its laws. In fact, I see the mystical realm as complementary, rather than in conflict with, the laws of nature, including probability. I think that my philosophy is even consistent with ye olde time religion, Paganism, as well as various magical systems.

Perhaps you ought to try to influence reality with your words, with a view to getting all tails or heads. The odds against you would be 3 to 1, and doing better than 25% all heads or tails of the total throws, would be an achievement.

Blessed be,

Arnon
erlandish
View Profile
Inner circle
Vancouver, Canada
1254 Posts

Profile of erlandish
Heh, I was under the impression that she knew that all along.
The Jester Extraordinaire : bderland.com
Ye Olde Magick Blogge : erlandish.blogspot.com
Arnon
View Profile
Inner circle
1320 Posts

Profile of Arnon
Interestingly, mathematics predicts that 75% of all outcomes should be combos.

So far, here's what has been reported in this thread:

Combos:

Sibbie
Tony Iacoviello
thomas hastings
rick727
Tom Cutts
chichi711
piefke666
fishwasher

All heads or tails:

Entity
Patrick Redford
Andini

So 8 out of 11 outcomes have been combos, and 8/11 = 72.7%

The mathematical expectation, as I've shown, is 75%

So even on this short run, the results are as expected mathematically.

Put another way, the difference from the expected mathematical outcome is less than 2.3% !

Sorry, but no magic here.

P.S. Xiqual, have I disappointed you by trying to awaken some of us from the slumber of ignorance, rather than sleeping myself?
Anabelle
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of Anabelle
Quote:
On 2007-07-09 06:32, arnon wrote:

Anabelle:

I don't want to spoil anyone's fun. Nevertheless, you might be interested to know that the odds FAVOR a combination of heads and tails to be thrown, OVER all tails and all heads, by a ratio of 3:1.

So you are a 75% FAVORITE to get a combo rather than all tails or all heads.

(Explanation for those interested: There are a total of 8 combinations of 3 coins:
2 x 2 x 2 = 8, since each coin has 2 possibilities, either heads or tails.

Out of these 8 possibilities, only 2 of them are all heads or all tails, namely HHH or TTT.

Six of the 8 possibilities are combos: HTT, HTH, HHT, THH, THT, TTH.

So the chances of getting a combo are 6 out of 8, or 75%. The odds are 6 to 2, or 3 to 1, in FAVOR of getting a combo.)

It seems like you calculated the odds as ONE possiblity of all heads, ONE possibility of all tails, and ONE possiblity of a combo, so that the odds would be 2 to 1 against a combo. The above analysis should make it clear why that method of calculation is faulty.

I am inclined toward mysticism, but not without recognizing reality and its laws. In fact, I see the mystical realm as complementary, rather than in conflict with, the laws of nature, including probability. I think that my philosophy is even consistent with ye olde time religion, Paganism, as well as various magical systems.

Perhaps you ought to try to influence reality with your words, with a view to getting all tails or heads. The odds against you would be 3 to 1, and doing better than 25% all heads or tails of the total throws, would be an achievement.

Blessed be,

Arnon

Fun's over. And here I was thinking I could convince you guys that I was the real thing (joke btw). Oh well. Is this considered exposure? Maybe I should've played it differently, seems to me maybe some people thought I was actually trying to influence reality through space and time, though I did say this was "all in fun" on the bottom of my original post. Space and Time Experiment #2 cancelled.

Anabelle
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Anabelle Space and Time Experiment #1 (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL