The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Anabelle Space and Time Experiment #1 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
piefke666
View Profile
New user
germany
83 Posts

Profile of piefke666
Quote:
I earnestly took the time to explain it to those that I thought might not have the math background I do - I am a former college math professor, and I have seen many students who have had "mental blocks" to mathematics.

I don't think you must be a mathprof for this! It was very obviously when you think about this! But I liked the little story and "poem"(?)! So I hope to see/read more!
Anabelle
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of Anabelle
Quote:
As I read the "there are 3 outcomes" gambit, my interest was lost. It is rather like seeing a beginning card magician moving the deck behind his back.

I promise not to be sensitive to anyone disagreeing with me. It could be that the "3 outcomes" claim is acceptable to more people than I expect.

John

John, I appreciate your care in posting your opinion. I know everyone is super smart here in the Café, but I must hang around some dumb people because before I posted this routine I did a variation of it with three different people who, with my words and description alone, bought the "odds" idea without question (and they weren't just being nice either).

The variation was that they had to do it ten times while I sat there "influencing that reality." As mentioned before, I used what I believed was mental misdirection during my presentation which in my opinion helped conceal the method.

Here in the Café I had the option of having a lot of different people do it once with the odds in my favor so in the long run it would show results in my favor. This is not one of my routines, just my presentation for a forum situation that I thought would be fun to do (seems I was wrong).

Anabelle
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Anabelle:

No, you weren't wrong, it was fun while it lasted. People shouldn't deliberately spoil the effect, especially given the nature of your presentation and the way you introduced it.

Don't let Arnon's mistake turn you off trying these sorts of things here.

- entity
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Actually, part of the fun was in the dissection of the effect. I believe that many people learned a lot about each other and about how the forum can work, and fail to work. This is very good, I think.

Perhaps, Anabelle, the presentation is the thing. You were successful with 3 different people. Do they have a background of believing that you have psychic powers? Some effects work much better after some beliefs are in place.

I tried the effect on my 10-year-old daughter. She gave me a pained look and said "That would even work with two quarters." Of course, she doesn't believe that my powers extend beyond ice cream and hugs...

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Arnon
View Profile
Inner circle
1320 Posts

Profile of Arnon
Anabelle:

There are numerous extremely counter-intuitive mathematical probability examples that can be dressed up and fit into your presentational structure. Then you could set up the trials with a quasi-explanation of the more intuitive probability (that is actually incorrect). Finally, the trials will bear out that by means of your ritual, reality has been warped.

All you need do is look in mathematics texts to find some unusual raw material Smile

All the Best,
Arnon
Anabelle
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of Anabelle
Quote:
On 2007-07-09 18:47, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:

I tried the effect on my 10-year-old daughter. She gave me a pained look and said "that would even work with two quarters." Of course, she doesn't believe that my powers extend beyond ice cream and hugs...

John

You sure know how to make a girl feel dumb. Your ten year old daughter? She's either very smart or I'm a real airhead because when I first read this effect in an obscure little booklet called "Beat'em, Cheat'em, Leave'em Bleedin'" by Bobby Knuckles about scams (also a Canadian if I'm not mistaken) I bought the explanation of the odds. It made sense. But what do I know. I'm really sorry I posted this....

Anabelle
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Magnus:

I'd disagree that it's fun to publicly dissect someone's effect while the presentation is still in progress, and especially when it's being presented as fun and entertainment.

I cringe when I'm in the audience of a Magician or Mentalist and I overhear amateur (or even some self-proclaimed professional) performers in the audience telling their family and friends how it's all done.

To me, it's one of the worst traits that Magicians/Mentalists can display.

- entity
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4934 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Quote:
On 2007-07-09 19:08, Anabelle wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-07-09 18:47, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:

I tried the effect on my 10-year-old daughter. She gave me a pained look and said "that would even work with two quarters." Of course, she doesn't believe that my powers extend beyond ice cream and hugs...

John

You sure know how to make a girl feel dumb. Your ten year old daughter? She's either very smart or I'm a real airhead because when I first read this effect in an obscure little booklet called "Beat'em, Cheat'em, Leave'em Bleedin'" by Bobby Knuckles about scams (also a Canadian if I'm not mistaken) I bought the explanation of the odds. It made sense. But what do I know. I'm really sorry I posted this....

Anabelle

"Beat'em, Cheat'em, Leave'em Bleedin'" is actually written by Bob Farmer.
You are supposed to use a two-headed quarter.
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
Anabelle
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of Anabelle
Do you have the book? No double headed coins. It's called TWO OUT OF THREE AIN'T BADDER. Pg 12.

Anabelle
Arnon
View Profile
Inner circle
1320 Posts

Profile of Arnon
Xiqual:

You're some charmer.

I've just read up on Anabelle and learned that she suffers from memory loss due to an accident.

Oh, and thanks for your snide comment in this thread about hoping that I was sleeping. It was the catalyst for my bad judgment posting what I did.

And no thanks to Jim/Jack who kicks a guy when he's made a mistake. And no references to the Jinx and the Phoenix supplied.
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
This thread is a beautiful experiment. It encapsulates the feeling of this place in such a short SPACE of TIME. Anabelle, you are a genius.
Anabelle
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of Anabelle
Guys, I can feel a huge misunderstanding starting to take place and we really don't need more destructive arguments in the Café. I like and respect Jim, Xiqual was just pointing out what he thought was correct because in that section everything else uses double headed coins.

I've accepted Arnon's apology earlier and Magnus was just posting his opinion which is fine. I don't want to have something I originated going completely out of hand.

I am disappointed in how it turned out and feel I've made my appropriate remarks. Let's just leave it at that. I don't have a problem with any of you.

Anabelle
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
I still think that you've shown us all something important. It is difficult to predict how strangers posting at the Café will react to ideas that are presented.

Oh, and Anabelle, I apologize if my experiment with my daughter read as though I was trying make anyone look foolish. The point I was trying to make is that she wasn't expecting me to influence reality, she was expecting a trick. And I think that that is what makes Café mentalism so difficult.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
erlandish
View Profile
Inner circle
Vancouver, Canada
1254 Posts

Profile of erlandish
I've got 6 con games demonstrations coming up in August and I'm going to be adding this to the act.

I'll play around with the script and work out whether or not it needs to occur early or somewhere in the middle (after the audience has built some faith that I know what I'm talking about).

I can report back on how it goes.
The Jester Extraordinaire : bderland.com
Ye Olde Magick Blogge : erlandish.blogspot.com
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
The story of my life...I stick my neck out for a girl, and she thanks the guy with the guitar.

- entity
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
Ice cream and hugs are magic.

Anabelle, please consider doing your second experiment.
Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1433 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
I got two tails and one head and was about to break ground for the First Church of Anabelle until you guys spoiled it for me.

Rats!
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein
Anabelle
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of Anabelle
Quote:
On 2007-07-09 20:52, Andre Hagen wrote:
I got two tails and one head and was about to break ground for the First Church of Anabelle until you guys spoiled it for me.

Rats!

That's really cute, Thanks!

Anabelle
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Some people should quit while they are a head (yuk yuk)...

Everyone behave or I am letting Ghidrah loose.
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
tincture
View Profile
Special user
586 Posts

Profile of tincture
I just head a go and it worked for me too. I'm sure this can be used somehow over the phone. It didn't leave me scratching my head like Patricks phone thing but its still a neat idea.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Anabelle Space and Time Experiment #1 (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL