The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Anabelle Space and Time Experiment #1 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
fishwasher
View Profile
Inner circle
B'ham uk
1231 Posts

Profile of fishwasher
Another thread ruined, and a good one at that...what a shame Smile
Sayn lay narn, marli?

http://www.bizarremagic.net
Arnon
View Profile
Inner circle
1320 Posts

Profile of Arnon
Xiqual & Jim/Jack:

You ought to practice what you preach.

fishwasher:

You are RIGHT!

Enough of this!
psychicturtle
View Profile
Special user
UK
821 Posts

Profile of psychicturtle
*Sigh*....
This WAS fun. Then people start bit**ing.
We desperately need an 'ignore member' option like they have on some other forums, then we never have to read the posts of the few that ALWAYS appear to be causing trouble.

Anyway, I just got 3 tails, 2 tails 1 heads, 2 tails one heads, 2 tails one heads, 3 tails.

Cool.
Traveler
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of Traveler
Perhaps it's just me being awful, but I wonder if we would have the same reactions if a guy had started this thread...
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
I must admit that I am entirely mystified by this thread. 1. It never occured to me that a human being of average inelligence would be convinced by the obfuscation of odds, consequently, that anyone should have become offended seems wildly out of proportion to the significance of the matter. 2. I think Traveller is right. Had a male, rather than a cute blond, started this post, the response would have been, to my mind, entirely different. 3. Arnon's response seemed perfectly reasonable. Had he not made, I probably would have. I guess that makes me "that guy." Either way, I don't see the need to jump him. Anabelle's a big girl; she'll be ok. 4. Nothing like a Café p***ing contest. Jno. Wells
bear trees
View Profile
Loyal user
uk
263 Posts

Profile of bear trees
Is he having a breakdown?
splice
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1259 Posts

Profile of splice
If nothing else, you now have some indication of where your trick played well (out in the real world, in front of the spectators, where you could manage them efficiently and move the effect along) and where it didn't (an internet forum filled with curmudgeony magicians and mentalists with time to spare to dissect an effect). That's always useful information.
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4934 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Quote:
On 2007-07-09 19:25, Anabelle wrote:
Do you have the book? No double headed coins. It's called TWO OUT OF THREE AIN'T BADDER. Pg 12.

Anabelle

Yes I do have the book. I just looked at it again and you are so right. This is the phase after the double headed coin. I think it is very cool how you changed this little scam around into an influence thing. Very nice Annabelle.

All the people poo pooing the odds obfuscation please go tell Bob Farmer. He is the originator of this scam.
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
popobawa
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of popobawa
Hello my friends! Anabelle, I threw the coins and got all heads: I looked down and they started BICKERING! Wonderful! I like this odds game, when I do cards and people say the odds of picking the right card is tiny I say NO! I'm either right or wrong just two choices so it's fifty fifty! You can see the cogs go round!! There are lots of cons and scams too which use the odds like this and hide them very well.

Mr POPOBAWA
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1636 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
Quote:
Would you please post the references so I and others can learn about what Annemann and "the guys" said about "the problem with some magicians, new mentalists and skeptics."?

Pick up the Jinx and read Annemanns editorials. You won't have to look far.
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
I have enjoyed most of this thread. Anabelle. I hope you decide to do the test with cards. I would enjoy reading it.
Anabelle
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of Anabelle
Quote:
On 2007-07-10 12:11, chichi711 wrote:
I have enjoyed most of this thread. Anabelle. I hope you decide to do the test with cards. I would enjoy reading it.

No way I'm getting into this again. I was trying to play with a simple routine (by Bob Farmer) using my presentation with some mental misdirection, nothing earth shattering, nothing super amazing, just having fun, trying to possibly entertain a few people here, and this is the mess that came of it. I'll just watch Slim King or Jack who do this sort of thing and apparently can handle themselves better. I'd hate to think it has something to do with me being a woman as someone suggested above.

Anabelle
tnscot
View Profile
Loyal user
220 Posts

Profile of tnscot
Quote:
On 2007-07-10 17:21, Anabelle wrote:
[ I'd hate to think it has something to do with me being a woman as someone suggested above.

Anabelle

No that's probably why 50 million guys jumped up to defend you. But not the reason it happened.
As Always,
Scot Legdermain
Traveler
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of Traveler
That's what I meant, yes.
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
I'm not poo-pooing anyhing. I actually thought it was intended to be a joke or something. I guess I don't have enough normal friends.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Oh, and I checked further with my 10-year-old. The elephant in Denmark absolutely slew her.

Then I tried both effects on my 14-year-old. She politely went along with the quarters, but later told me that the probabilities were too easy to calculate. She picked an eagle in Denmark, but commented that the divisibility by 9 rules gave away my method there, too.

Maybe our subjects need to be out of school for a few years for these things to work.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Anabelle
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of Anabelle
John and Magnus, let me ask you a question. Bob Farmer's Tsunami principle also used in Kenton Knepper's KENT, is that a silly premise for you guys too? It deals with odds. I won't say more because I don't want to expose it. Naturally, I'm not comparing what I tried to do (also bob farmer) with Tsunami (bob farmer), again just curious. John you wrote up there "It never occured to me that a human being of average intelligence would be convinced by the obfuscation of odds", yet it seems like a lot of people have and continue to be convinced by the obsfucation of odds in Tsunami and KENT.

Anabelle
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Hi Anabelle. I don't know the Tsunami principle, sorry.

I do find that most mathematical forces look obvious to me, probably because math is mainly what I do. What I don't know is how normal I am in that regard.

There is a thread in Penny for your Thoughts dealing with "Are our audiences smarter than we think" or something like that. It really is a tough question, because we (as mentalists or magicians) have lost the ability to look at magic "from the outside". I know that there are many mathematically-minded people in every audience. I don't know how we do with them, but I sure would like to have a better sense than I do.

And I really do expect that people who do math every day--even at the school level--are tougher to convince that mathematical forces are legitimate.

I hope I'm making sense.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
I think that I would have chimed in no matter who was doing the experiment, man or woman. I just hate to see those sorts of things ruin people's fun.

- entity
harishjose
View Profile
Special user
932 Posts

Profile of harishjose
Quote:
On 2007-07-10 19:51, Anabelle wrote:
John and Magnus, let me ask you a question. Bob Farmer's Tsunami principle also used in Kenton Knepper's KENT, is that a silly premise for you guys too? It deals with odds. I won't say more because I don't want to expose it. Naturally, I'm not comparing what I tried to do (also bob farmer) with Tsunami (bob farmer), again just curious. John you wrote up there "It never occured to me that a human being of average intelligence would be convinced by the obfuscation of odds", yet it seems like a lot of people have and continue to be convinced by the obsfucation of odds in Tsunami and KENT.

Anabelle

Mind if I jump in...

I loved the idea of Tsunami, and in fact had a back and forth email with Bob. A year back or so, there was a thread here where I posted my idea.

Anyways, back to your question. It is not really the same, because even though Tsunami starts with odds, the exact card chosen is revealed. Here you just talk about odds. But if you were able to really say how many tails or how many heads - that would have been a different story. I would not give up, Ms. A. You learn by facing the music.

PS: Jim / J ack is a master in this game. Check the leap of faith thread.

Peace,
HJ
To believe is Magic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Anabelle Space and Time Experiment #1 (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL