The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Downs palm multiple coins ... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
gillesA4
View Profile
Special user
Brussels, Belgium
593 Posts

Profile of gillesA4
I need a little help from the more -advanced -than - me users of this forum -in other words, all of you! I'm fighting with Geoff Latta's " trick with 3 coins", which is btw really magic IMHO; but I have this problem with the coins position in the begining: the support of the coins on the palm side of the hand is ok, but the thumb side makes me cry and scream: the coins are rolling against my thumb's bone: should I start with the coins leaning above the bone, against the bone or below the bone? Most of the time when I attempt to move the thumb to snap the coin, the other coin is moving as well... Don't know if I'making myself clear withmy broken english.
I'm trying, again and again and again...
TIA,
Be good, all!
Gilles
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them. (A. Einstein)
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
I am working on that routine too and I believe I know where you are coming from Gilles. I agree it is a bit of a ticklish situation. I have developed a pretty good way of doing that particular move with practice. I can't explain the mechanics here, but PM me and I will give you a rundown on how I do it.....
Where I go, so do my coins.....
gillesA4
View Profile
Special user
Brussels, Belgium
593 Posts

Profile of gillesA4
One more question: how do you deal with the noise of the coins scraping each other? Or maybe YOU don't make noise...
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them. (A. Einstein)
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
Noise can be a problem with this routine Gilles, right now I am just being careful in my handling. Soft coins are the best bet, but with a "light touch" and guarded handling you can beat the noise problem. I have a soft set of Morgans on the way this week that should help with that problem, but even then a "light touch" is the best bet, which comes with a lot of practice.....
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Quote:
On 2007-07-11 05:49, gillesA4 wrote:
One more question: how do you deal with the noise of the coins scraping each other? Or maybe YOU don't make noise...

Morgans are quiet'er than Ikes. But with either I challenge anyone to stand right in front of me while I produce 10 coins (Ikes, no less).

You won't hear anything.

To quote Fin Jon, who sat three feet away from me when I performed at the 4-F:

Come on, where did the coins come from? I was sitting right in front, I didn't see anything, I didn't HEAR anytihng.

This is the result of YEARS OF PRACTICE.
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
I believe that Justin! You can make a minimum of noise or even no noise with any coins, but not without "plenty" of practice. I think you have to agree soft coins will give you an edge in that area.....
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
No doubt. But that's why I like to use "talkers". It makes me work harder. So, when I use Morgans they feel like butter! so soft and smooth, I almost feel like I'm cheating...lol
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
I know what you mean, I feel the same way when I go from silver dollars to halves. I like your idea of working harder with the noisier coins, then when you actually perform shift coins and it should be a breeze.....
mitchb2
View Profile
Elite user
455 Posts

Profile of mitchb2
Gilles,

I just started practicing this yesterday. No routine, just practicing the move over and over. I'm starting to get the hang of it. Dropping one coin from the stack is starting to come. Keeping the whole stack managed while doing 6 silver dollars is another story.

But yeah, the tip of that bone on my thumb is just killing me.
No pain, no gain. Right, muscles? Smile
Verricobl
View Profile
Loyal user
BC
256 Posts

Profile of Verricobl
Gilles, I'm no advanced worker. To make it easy to release the stack, I cheat. I don't put it in a perfect stack. I keep the coins stepped against each other. That way, it was easier for me to release one. Did I make sense? I think this is easier because the point of contact on the hand is different for each coin.
imagine the possibilities... endless...
Zhang
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Zhang
Anyone should be able to release the coins from DP one at time,the exact way as when having coins in classic palm released one at a time., right now I can do 7 morgans one at a time.

just keep practsing and in due time you'll know what I mean.

WU.

P.S I could send a demo, but I already have bad experience with members here, always one bad apple spoil the whole D$$$ bunch.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
With my liiiiitle hands, I am now able to do 8 (liberty half dollars) I have to produce the first 4 and put them in the other hand..The second 4 are produced and kept in the right hand for a fan production ala Mr. B.

Some times I play with different coins of the same half dollar size. I am trying to figure a way to do it with dime,penny,nickle.... like I do from the classic palm. So far just dropped coins...

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
mitchb2
View Profile
Elite user
455 Posts

Profile of mitchb2
I'm getting pretty good at quickly getting into DP for the fake drops.
I'm really looking forward to getting this one down. Ever since I was a little kid I've been so amazed at the magic of Miser's Dream routines.
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Quote:
On 2007-07-28 12:03, mitchb2 wrote:
I'm getting pretty good at quickly getting into DP for the fake drops.
I'm really looking forward to getting this one down. Ever since I was a little kid I've been so amazed at the magic of Miser's Dream routines.

Just stick with it. You will get stronger and better at it. Don't just rely on one or two techniques, learn as many as you can and become proficient at all of them.

Good luck -
Douglas.M
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of Douglas.M
Hi Gilles,

Nobody's hands are exactly similar, so you may have to try slightly different grip positions until you find one that "fits" you. For example, I use more of a web grip for the Routine With Three Coins. This works for me; it may not work for you! You have to adapt routines to your performance style and body type.

For the first bit, try gently easing the thing until it quietly separates a tad, then snap it. These actions are sped up until they become one fluid move. I hope that was out of context and vague enough not to be exposure.

Experiment and have a blast! It's a stunning routine that really knocks em for a loop.

My hat is off to Mr. Latta!

Douglas M.
Geoff Latta
View Profile
Regular user
New York
158 Posts

Profile of Geoff Latta
Gilles,

I use uncirculated Peace dollars, but during introductory remarks I very slowly preset the first coin (with the second finger) to be produced so that there's a small amount of air between it and the shelled coin above it. This is in a quiet venue; in a noisy one it doesn't matter.

The important thing about the trick is the acting and timing; not the so much the small finger motions and possible scraping noises. Normal gestures will cover the first and ambient sound will cover the second.

I hope this helps.

-G-
"There is a thin line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line." --Oscar Levant
Zhang
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Zhang
Quote:
On 2007-07-09 05:29, gillesA4 wrote:
I need a little help from the more -advanced -than - me users of this forum -in other words, all of you! I'm fighting with Geoff Latta's " trick with 3 coins", which is btw really magic IMHO; but I have this problem with the coins position in the begining: the support of the coins on the palm side of the hand is ok, but the thumb side makes me cry and scream: the coins are rolling against my thumb's bone: should I start with the coins leaning above the bone, against the bone or below the bone? Most of the time when I attempt to move the thumb to snap the coin, the other coin is moving as well... Don't know if I'making myself clear withmy broken english.
I'm trying, again and again and again...
TIA,
Be good, all!
Gilles

how about posting a video just for the members to watch, that way we know exactly which advice to give you.

WU.
Wes65
View Profile
Inner circle
I've said very little in
1219 Posts

Profile of Wes65
I can drop coins one at a time from CP and from DP/EG. However, I can't drop the coin exactly when I want it. In other words when I decide to drop a coin from either palm/grip the coin will release in anywhere from less than a second to about four seconds. So this is not practical in a real life situation.

So I cheat. To drop one coin at a time from CP I push the coin a little forward with my ring finger and drop it. To release a into a fan from DP/EG I curl my middle finger under the stack and pull it into the fan from the bottom. It is a touchy move though. I have to do it palm to the spectator because I flash the stack between my fingers with the back of the hand to the spect. Also, I tend to tilt my hand while trying to navigate the coin into the fan while the palm is to the spect. So I do it while waving my hand between fingers pointed to spects and palm to spects. So far I'll only do this for a small group of people. But it is progressing nicely and I am more comfortable with this every day.
Wes
gillesA4
View Profile
Special user
Brussels, Belgium
593 Posts

Profile of gillesA4
Geoff, thanks for your kind answer,
I was practicing with regular Eisenhower coins - so noisy- , waiting my order from Jamie to come; I've received my new coins this morning, and the problem solved by itself... I'll keep your remark in a corner of my memory; BTW I'm working on yor cards "elevator"... Not exactly an easy sleight, but a ton of fun practicing!
Be well!
Friendly,
Gilles
mitchb2
View Profile
Elite user
455 Posts

Profile of mitchb2
Here's what I do. As I curl my middle finger in, I curl my index finger also.
I use my index finger to press against the edges of all but the bottom coin.
Then I drop the bottom coin onto the middle finger, bring it down and out, and clip it, and produce.

Is it incorrect to use the index finger to press against the stack the way I'm doing?

Gilles: I'm using Eisenhowers, too. Very noisy. I don't have a problem with noise during each production, but whenever I need to adjust the stack, very noisy.
But I'm stuck with Eisenhowers for now. What did you order?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Downs palm multiple coins ... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL