The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Solo Effect (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Davro
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
319 Posts

Profile of Davro
Can anyone suggest an effect that does not need an audience member to participate? I'm not really wanting to use PK but I suppose I could be influenced in that direction Smile

Best Wishes, David
Best Wishes, David
<BR>
<BR>Mid way this way of life we're bound upon, I woke to find myself in a dark wood, where the right road was wholly lost and gone.
fishwasher
View Profile
Inner circle
B'ham uk
1231 Posts

Profile of fishwasher
The only thing I can think of that wouldn't 'need' aaudience participation would be PK effects.

just curious, why can't you use an audience member?

Aidan
Sayn lay narn, marli?

http://www.bizarremagic.net
magus
View Profile
Special user
Huntington Beach, Ca
668 Posts

Profile of magus
A prediction effect, involving a newspaper?
Or some sort of ghostly manifistation (although in a broader definition, it would be a PK effect)
crappy deium-

what a lousy day to be seized

thaumometer-

a device for measuring a magical field
mesmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1186 Posts

Profile of mesmer
You could attempt to Read your own mind....

then amaze at what you can do!

why on earth you want to eliminate audience participations?
Davro
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
319 Posts

Profile of Davro
OK sorry guys, I should have been more specific.
I have been motivated by a recent post that discussed ways to end a mentalism act. One of the suggestions was to have the most spectacular piece next to last and end with a smaller more intimate effect. I think I saw Lance Burton end his magic show in a similar way. After his big finish, he came back to front of stage and spoke about his childhood while pouring a glass of milk, he ended by tipping out the milk which had vanished and a white mouse came from the glass.
So, I have been wondering about the possibility and even the wisdom of ending my mentalism act with a small personal moment and I am thinking about ways to accomplish a: intimate. b: Only me on stage.

Best Wishes, David
Best Wishes, David
<BR>
<BR>Mid way this way of life we're bound upon, I woke to find myself in a dark wood, where the right road was wholly lost and gone.
LLL
View Profile
Inner circle
1574 Posts

Profile of LLL
I remember watching derren brown do a peice with a 6 inch nail to classical music, although I wouldn't really call it mentalism, it was a beautiful peice though.
The only thing I can think of is setting up something earlier in the show, like a smash and stab routine that stays in full view the whole time and as finisher you come back to it.
The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words.
mesmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1186 Posts

Profile of mesmer
Back to your post...use a bar stool then deliver your EPILOQUE while float in mid air.....you then float back down....then the curtain close down...ENCORE
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
You could show the ending to a prediction with just yourself on stage.

or

Make something dematerialize or materialize.

- entity
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Your in the wrong forum...

mentalism requires audience participation.

You should be in the magic forum..if you want such an effect..(trick)
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2948 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
I like entity's suggestions above.

I perform a "mysterious" sort of bizarre routine with Tarot Cards all on my own. It's called the Broken Tarot and unreleased. But I guess it's not really mentalism, just a strange occurrence with Tarot Cards and not usually included in my general act, but more close-up, walk-around, and intimate one on one performances.
Rocketeer
View Profile
Special user
Westchester, NY
965 Posts

Profile of Rocketeer
I've been thinking of ending with a PK effect. I've thought of trying throughout the act to do Osterlind's spike bending and failing. After the penultimate effect I'd pick up a spike one last time, bend it and either leave it on the table as I made my exit or hand it to an audience member.
I'm selling my hardcover autographed limited edition copy of Jerome Finley's "Thought Veil"

PM me for info.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Or do an effect that leaves a lot of specs standing at the end...so they calp while standing and create the pull for a standing ovation
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Ramsay
View Profile
Special user
England
638 Posts

Profile of Ramsay
I think I was the one to suggest that a show should end with the strongest effect being second from last and then the final effect/bit should be just the performer onstage over in another thread here.

The Lance Burton example is great. Lance really hit it on the head with the torn and restored newspaper finish to one of his TV specials. It worked very well.

I tend to forgo an effect but rather make a closing speech that mid way thru ties one loose end left hanging throughout the show. This could even be a quick rapid revealation or maybe even "finally" working out a thought that you had kept missing throughout the show. Something like that.

I think it is important that the show ends on your message. No effect is even needed in my mind, however the small moments as mentioned above seem to work very well in this style.

L.
Davro
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
319 Posts

Profile of Davro
Thank you for all the replies guys. Yes it was you Luke that made the initial post suggesting that the strongest effect should be next to last. Thank you for getting my brain into gear. As many of you will know, you can never stop tweaking an act in the search for the best show that you can do.

Best Wishes, David
Best Wishes, David
<BR>
barneyfife
View Profile
Veteran user
326 Posts

Profile of barneyfife
Chuck Hickok suggests having an envelope which has been in full view the entire show opened and read to the audience that reveals several things that had happened during the show. This is in Mentalism Inc 1. Or at least that is the way I have intepreted what he said.
Always in motion is the future
markthorold
View Profile
Inner circle
Shrunken heads atop
1943 Posts

Profile of markthorold
Shattering glass under perspex cover ,can be done solo.
E.O.I
ChuckHickok
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of ChuckHickok
Quote:
On 2007-07-23 00:50, barneyfife wrote:
Chuck Hickok suggests having an envelope which has been in full view the entire show opened and read to the audience that reveals several things that had happened during the show. This is in Mentalism Inc 1. Or at least that is the way I have intepreted what he said.

I still use a variation of the approach outlined in my first book. People were involved in everything that leads up to the final revelations (earlier in the show) ... but my act ends with just me on stage ... holding an envelope.

I make a few closing comments, make a revealtion, add some additional comments, make another revelation, add some final comments and end with my final revelation.

This may not work for others ... but it works for my type of light mentalism.

Chuck Hickok
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Solo Effect (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL