We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Who sells rope thru body already made up? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Ken Sibley
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of Ken Sibley
I bought "Rope thur Body" from Daytona Magic about 2 years ago. I've never had any problem with anyone seeing the gimmick. I've always found that if you don't bring attention to that area of the rope, no one will notice.
Tell me and I forget. Show me and I remember. Involve me and I understand!
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
You can buy them direct from Bob as well.

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1201 Posts

Profile of magic4545
Quote:
On 2007-07-16 14:45, Ted Danger wrote:
In 1994 at Desert magic seminar, I met a magician in an elevator named Jim Finger who told me he wasn't there for the convention, just working. He asked if I wanted to see some killer magic.....In the indoor parking garage, he opened his pinto trunk and did the most amazing rope through body ever... He marketed under the name Rope-utation. If anyone knows how to contact him, I'd like to know.

Thanks

I'm right here!!! But, I go by Jimmy Fingers now... Agents kept calling me that, so I went with it, LOL! Stopped selling Rope-u-tation, but I just did it last week at the World Magic Seminar. I stopped selling it, because everyone had to have Bob Sheets' Hang 'em High, and simply would not even consider mine, even though it's completely superior in every way, according to the handful of performers who have one.
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2316 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
Un gimmicked twelve foot length is tied into a loop which is doubled and doubled again, to form four circles of rope which you step into. All four circles visibly penetrate your body. That is the illusion called Quatro , in Ron Daytons Rope DVD from Leaping Lizards. "Hung Up on ropes," Other ungimmicked ropes thru neck and leg are included.
dbaronian
View Profile
Regular user
Northridge, CA
199 Posts

Profile of dbaronian
I sell the rope
BaronianTrading.com...your #1 source for magicians' rope.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
23046 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2007-07-10 21:15, music wrote:
Hi Abbuscup, I don't think white out can fix this rope, there is a very obvious gap and the seam is crooked where they meet. It can be seen from across my living room in low lighting. Poorly made.

May I suggest being it is a workmanship or manufacturing defect, ask Daytona Magic for an exchange. Most dealers guarantee workmanship and replace if defective. A phone call or Email could not hurt.
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1868 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Hang 'em High is GOOD!
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
I used to do the rope thread version, but now, I just come out with the ropes in my hand, put it behind my back and in my belt. I put loop 1 thru loop 2 and fold it.
No-one questions this. I just did it for a magic club meeting with oohs and ahs.
Keep it simple and don't spend money on this.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
David Waldorf
View Profile
Regular user
Minnesota
132 Posts

Profile of David Waldorf
Quote:
On 2010-03-12 12:38, magicians wrote:
I used to do the rope thread version, but now, I just come out with the ropes in my hand, put it behind my back and in my belt. I put loop 1 thru loop 2 and fold it.
No-one questions this. I just did it for a magic club meeting with oohs and ahs.
Keep it simple and don't spend money on this.

I do something a lot like this for a neck penetration. For a rope through spectator's body, I use the thread principle, with the j***t hidden under a hank. Childishly simple and straight forward. The method is in (don't laugh) the Klutz book of magic.
Didn't your mother ever tell you not to believe anything you hear and only half of what you see?

From a Roy Rogers movie
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
23046 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The late great Sam Berland of Chicago, had a very nice ropes through body effect using the thread principle. He used the elastic thread and supplied a gimmick so the spectators could pull on the rope before penetration.

Funny how a name can make a trick. I do not know or ever seen Bob Sheets version. I did see a plastic bag with the word 'Hang 'um High' at the local magic shop. It was 3 pieces of rope. Looked stupid when shown, I just thought 'right' and discarded it. It was suppose to be some kind of visual penetration through body. The instructions just had the working, no routine. If this is the awesome Bob Sheets version, I think it would not impress anyone. Maybe if I seen an actual demonstration, but the dealer just sort of shown how it would be shown.

The Title of this thread is very misleading, as without the creators name the question cannot be answer for certain. As many of the rope through body effects use just use a normal piece of rope. Rope is already 'Made Up' when you purchase it. The method and creator of a particular version dictates the version.
gnosis
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of gnosis
Quote:
On 2010-03-12 12:38, magicians wrote:

This method sounds interesting, but I'm not sure I understand exactly how it's done. Is there a more detailed set of instructions somewhere that I could read?
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5396 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Gnosis, Ian is talking about a “Grandmother’s Necklace” principle that doesn’t use the rope tied together. If you know the principle you can pretty much duplicate what he describes with a couple of lengths of rope in hand.

William mentions Sam Berland’s version of the illusion which also uses the “Grandmother’s necklace” principle. Sam provided a simple, easy to find, cheap to buy gizmo that allowed the two lengths of rope be used in a tug of war. It was a vast improvement over the thread versions. I’ve used it on stage to some success.

Bob Sheet’s “hang em High” is a killer effect. The gimmick does not take any real tug of war by the spectators (any more than Pavel’s gimmicks will). The method of having the spectator tug the rope is described above by mrunge and described by Bob in his instructions (he used to have a DVD on the trick available).

Lot of good stuff tipped here.

Ron Dayton’s stuff is killer and warrants looking into!

I guess you want to perform a rope-thru-your-own- body trick. My own criteria is to use a no-gimmick-able-to-do-surrounded version. I believe that none of the versions relying on the Grandmother’s Necklace principle truly meets it.

About the only version of rope thru body I use is U. F. Grant’s version (published in the late 40’s). It uses a single length (12 or so feet) of ungimmicked rope. While I can perform it on myself I prefer to play it huge and stage the effect with three spectators, two big men and a petite woman. The rope is wrapped around the woman. The men tug and tug and the rope tightens (painfully even!). At any given point the rope can be made to pass right through the woman’s body. Everything is left in the spectator’s hands for examination. There is nothing to find! It is a killer trick.

This is U. F. Grant’s “cutting a lady in half” from his “Nite Club Illusions” booklet. It was designed to be done surrounded and has no bad angles. Again it uses a single length of ungimmicked rope.

An easy one to build that uses a gimmick of sorts is sort of a one rope version of the Grandmother’s Necklace principle. The rope may be examined and tugged and appears innocent. It is not angle proof you’ll need to wear a coat to hide the working to make it truly angle proof.

Of course I am referring to the rope developed by the old Supreme Magic Company in their “Thru the Eye of a Needle” trick. I've used this trick off and on for several decades now. In fact, I've built three of them since Supreme went out of operation (the rope does get dirty over time). You can do it on your self.

There are more (dozens more).
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
gnosis
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of gnosis
Many thanks for your extremely thorough reply, Mr Murphy. Just one question, is this the "Nite Club Illusions" booklet you refer to?

https://midwestmagic.net/shop/item.asp?itemid=253

I ask because that site lists the book without an author attribution or a description of which effects are included.

Thanks again!
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5396 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Could be. I can't be sure without seeing a table of contents. My cover art is different but then my copy dates to the late 40's or early 50's.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2316 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
Harry, thankyou for your very nice comment about my rope material. Always nice to know you are appreciated. Few know it, but Aldo Colombini's Chinese Purse was based on an effect/premise of mine. Aldo improved and refined it of course. His version now being superior to my original handling.

Ron Dayton
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9512 Posts

Profile of funsway
The best "Rope thru Neck" effects I have seen are where it is done as an afterthought or unmentioned effects during the use of a rope for other things. Thus, presentation is more important than method. I like several of Kotah's ungaffed methods and am woking on using silk streamers instead of rope -- and 'over the shouldrer' rather the around the neck.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2316 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
Funsway, Ken, using silk streamers following their production for rope pentrations is a very innovative idea. Adding color and drama to the effect.

Kotah
RC4MAG
View Profile
Special user
562 Posts

Profile of RC4MAG
How do we get Jimmy Fingers to put his rope effect back on the market?
gnosis
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of gnosis
Quote:
On 2010-07-04 22:26, RC4MAG wrote:
How do we get Jimmy Fingers to put his rope effect back on the market?

You could try PM'ing him (he's a user in this forum).

Also, see this thread:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&forum=9

Maybe if enough people show interest, he'll re-release it. I know I'd be very happy if it was back on the market.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Who sells rope thru body already made up? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL