The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Question for fellow magicians in Cincinnati Ohio (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chris Oberle
View Profile
Elite user
California
444 Posts

Profile of Chris Oberle
-I am not sure if this is in the correct place so please forgive me if it is not-

So I saved up money and was recently contacted about a great deal on the "Shadow Tent." I have always loved this effect ever since I saw Copperfield appear on a Motorcycle live on stage in a Shadow Box in Cincinnati and not too long ago in Dayton (My profile picture is of David and I). I was lucky enough to meet him backstage and talk to him for 5-10 minutes about magic. It was then when I wanted to move my craft to stage.

Let me tell you a little about myself. I am 22 years old and just graduated from college and live in Cincinnati Ohio. I got a job at FOX fulltime and am making enough money to start saving up for larger illusions. I have been doing close up magic for a little over 5 years now and would like to move to stage. Now here are some questions for my fellow magicians living in Cincinnati.... Are there any local Talent Shows of shows that I can do for lets say charity here localy? How do you start with one large illusion and make a show out of one illusion? I have done stage before infact for a Christian Charity event last year and did many of Osterlands effects and amazed many people. How can I start doing stage? Is the "Shadow Tent" a good first illusion to purchase?

I would like to thank you all for taking your time to read this

Christopher Oberle
Lance Richardson
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of Lance Richardson
I personally feel your first illusion should not be an appearance, it will limit the amount of shows you can do with it. You need a DO illusion and a do illusion is an illusion you can just wheel out and do. If you’re just getting into illusions you will be doing shows anywhere and everywhere so you may not have an area to lode your assistant into the prop or out of the prop if she vanishes.

Check this out it’s in your home town.
http://www.cincyplay.com/shows/season/Abra/index.php

Lance
Mattillusion
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of Mattillusion
I would recommend going with a longer-playing illusion as your first. If you like Creative Magic's stuff (I do too) maybe play around with a production routine with their new Square Circle prop.
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Also you could considering doing some building, mayne has some nice plans, and many other books on the topic out there. Around here I'm not sure. stage is a bit tough. you could look at community calenders and see what events are going on and see if you can get yourself booked. the summers not a bad time to do that either
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
If you are getting a very good deal on the Shadow Tent, AND it is something you really want to use in your show eventually, AND if the deal is something you will never see again, then I would say "buy it". For a good first, long-playing illusion, tough, I would suggest the Sub Trunk. Sure, everyone does it, but they do it for a reason - it is a great illusion.

You can build a Sub Trunk or have it built fairly inexpensively, you can theme it and present it in lots of different ways, and you can store the rest of your show inside when it's not in use.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
cameroncando
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of cameroncando
You can’t go wrong with the Shadow Tent, it is an illusion you will have and use for the rest of your carrier. But you will want to get a few other illusions as well, as mentioned before sub trunk is a good one. You might also consider a sword box or modern art.

Good luck

Cam
Kipp Sherry
View Profile
Elite user
Boise, ID
477 Posts

Profile of Kipp Sherry
Quote:
On 2007-07-10 23:51, hiphopperco wrote:
How do you start with one large illusion and make a show out of one illusion?

Christopher,

You might want to study magicians like Mac King. He uses the Shadow Tent in his Las Vegas Show, and it is the only stage illusion he uses. But he entertains the audience for about an hour. This hour is not all centered around the Shadow Tent, that illusion is only a part of his hour show.

Until we appear again,
Kipp Sherry
What is Kings Fool?
The only business card you'll ever need!
http://www.kippsherrymagic.info
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Question for fellow magicians in Cincinnati Ohio (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL