The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » What you think of my new promo video? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
reynold
View Profile
Elite user
Puerto Rico
476 Posts

Profile of reynold
I just made this promo video I would like feedback. I can accept critics but if they are harsh please do it in a PM.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrDIg4gh0pM
Thanks
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1851 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
Great body of work shown. I might have cut it into 2 separate promo pieces, but fun to watch.

Chris
PaxMentis
View Profile
Loyal user
Long Beach, CA
239 Posts

Profile of PaxMentis
Hi Reynold,
Most of the new people I meet, I start them off with an "A". Then it's up to them what marks they end up with. You earned your "A", first by having the guts to share your new promo video with all of us and asking for feedback. It's almost like putting your neck on the chopping block, especially with such a diverse group of people on the magic Café. I liked the overall flow, from one illusion to another, illustrating you're not a one-dimentional act with a few tricks. Your passion for the art form certainly could be felt in the promo. A big plus! You have the good looks and the personality to connect with your audience. You're still holding onto the "A". You also demonstrated that you have a depth of sensitivity about you. You asked for any 'harsh remarks be sent to you as a PM.' I had a problem with the audio portion of your promo, so I wasn't able to hear the type of music you subscribe to or what the announcer was saying at the beginning. Your opening was a bit different than most of the promos I've seen. If I were a booking agent I would seriously consider hiring you for a client.

Now going to the downside of the promo. Two of the illusions appeared to be built by someone other than the authorized builder. If this is the case, I would strongly suggest you replace them with the real deals should you decide to perform in America. If there are others, I would stronly suggest you consider the same advice.

My comments were first observations and my intent was not to savage your work. I think you did a good job overall and I commend you. My parting coment would be to tell you to "break-a-leg."
Bill Thomas
Do not go where the path may lead, but go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1579 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
Reynold,

I loved it. Nice illusions and great magic. You are going to be a big star. Thanks for sharing.

Patrick
Keith Jozsef
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Keith Jozsef
Very nice--Professional with a good variety of magic. What more could you want?
Best of luck,
Keith Jozsef
reedrc
View Profile
Inner circle
1347 Posts

Profile of reedrc
I dig it . I would recommend using different music for the van halen song. I've always tried to stay away from music used in mainstream magic ( like Copperfield & other magic specials) Other than that I feel the trailer & promo piece is fantastic. Great work !
Kind Regards

Ryan C. Reed
Founder, Illusion Entertainment

designer, director, theatrical consultant, digital wizard, magic impresario, wonder aficionado, Illusioneer & dream architect.

Instagram
Facebook
Dayle
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
147 Posts

Profile of Dayle
Of all the magic promo's I've seen, I thought your promo was one of the best! Most importantly, I found your performance of the magic and escapes entertaining.

Cheers
Dayle
World's Most Accomplished Female Escape Artist
http://www.sherryandkrallmagic.com
reynold
View Profile
Elite user
Puerto Rico
476 Posts

Profile of reynold
Thanks for all the positive response and for your time.
I was bit nervous about your feedback.
Thanks again!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19822 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Well here is a dissenting opinion LOL.

First off your body of work being on TV and doing shows is impressive. No doubt.

BUT I think the video does not show WHO you are! This is a great comercial for magic in general. You were doing tricks any number of a thousand guys do all the time and cut into promo stuff. The PERSONALITY is missing. That is what is going to make you a star, not showcasing a bunch of stuff you bought and built.

I also think you need more than 2 crowd shots, happy people and such. You obviously have a great personality, you need to showcase it in your video or your just another magician.

I think it could be great, I think your work is impressive, it just needs to be packaged right.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
880 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
Well, not to cast a gloom on things, I found it to be an excellent sampler but a poor promotional video.

As a promotional video you need to target your prospective client, and identify the features/benefits to them for presenting what appears to be an excellent act.

Unless I already knew I wanted to book a magician and merely needed to decide which one, this video might work. But if you're really trying to sell your act, you need to let the presenter know the reasons you're the act to book. You've shown a lot of the "what" but not much of the "why".

As magicians we tend to be easily impressed by the variety of your skill, from close-up to illusions, but a layman is not necessarily aware of the value of being able to play venues of any size. You need to tell them that your act "plays any size venue from 50 to 5000". Try to use terminology that is in your prospective clients' vernacular, not magicians'. "Close-Up" and "illusion" have meaning with laymen, but not really the same meaning that we attach to them. Instead you might choose terms like "intimate entertainment for one-on one siutations" and "magic to fill the largest theaters" (These are just off the top of my head. With some careful consideration the words could be very nicely crafted.)

Marketing is more than simply showing the wares. You've got to convince them that you are the one to hire over your competition.
reynold
View Profile
Elite user
Puerto Rico
476 Posts

Profile of reynold
Frank you got a point reagarding instead of putting "Close Up" putting something like "intimate magic" Thank you.

Regarding Danny Doyle he is also right about me showing more personality but I had already thought about that and here is my situation. In order to show personality I must put some talking, I live in Pueto Rico a spanish speaking island. Only 20% of my shows are in english (conventions, hotels, etc) the remaining 80% are in spanish. The reason I did it entirely to music is so it could be presented to both groups without making two videos.

Thanks again.
Lusion
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of Lusion
Nice I like it as Starr said I would have cut it in half, but great work never the less! Reynold were you at the WMS 2 years ago in Vegas? I know I met a group of magicians from Puerto rico there.
reynold
View Profile
Elite user
Puerto Rico
476 Posts

Profile of reynold
Yes, lusion I was in WMS 2 yrs. ago in vegas.
MarkHerrick
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of MarkHerrick
Fantastic,

It would have been nice to hear you interact with the audience but I don't think that detracts from it at all.

This is as Dayle said one of the best promo's I have seen.

Well done and keep up the great work.

Mark
MrBrett
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of MrBrett
Let me start by apologizing if I may seem to be a "wet blanket" as it were, don't take offense to my post, its just full of comments that you can take or decline at you pleasure.
I liked all of the content, but it doesn't use strategies that keep the viewer wanting to hire you. By showing the full trick, you are basically giving people the show to watch in their homes. You'll find that well made promo videos only show the flashy climax and perhaps some buildup of the trick but never show the whole thing. Videos are also usually broken up with words like, Amazing, Mystifying and other information that the performer sees to be fitting to his type of performance. Contact information should be included and shown multiple times as well as your name. Adding that you are bilingual is also a huge plus when booking (i assume you speak english and spanish) However the intro, being entirely in spanish will make English peaking clients feel as though you are a spanish only performer. The video was extremely entertaining for a viewer who wants to see magic but not as enticing as a promo video should be. Kudos to you the amazing effects included though, I especially liked the one where the girl in put in the large rectangular box which is then folded to a small package. Hope this helps. Again, don't be mad, I you think I'm wrong, disregard this, but that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Very flashing and nice.... But you need to show you, Do you make us laugh, cry, fall in love? Who are you? A man with a million tricks? Show some talk scenes and interaction... Then you will have an AWESOME video...

I really love your escapes as well Smile

best of luck Smile
reynold
View Profile
Elite user
Puerto Rico
476 Posts

Profile of reynold
Curtis in my opinion showing more personality and interaction means talking, and here is my situation. I live in Pueto Rico a spanish speaking island. Only 20% of my shows are in english (conventions, hotels, etc) the remaining 80% are in spanish. The reason I did it entirely to music is so it could be presented to both groups without making two videos.
Thanks again
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
HMM,,, I find that you can speak two lang is a huge plus... Show a clip or two you speaking in english and a clip or two of spanish.... This will make you even more desirable to booking agents and TV....
I get about three request a month asking if I speak Spanish or Korean....

I have found that Agents, buyers, and producers wants to see you talking and infront of people Smile Smile

I recieved two request last week from tv producers they want a video of talking and they wanted everything to be with-in one - two years old ...

PS...
I love Pueto Rico,,, I was there a few years back.... Smile Love the beaches Smile
magicfreak_NV
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of magicfreak_NV
Honest review:

after 38 seconds I stopped watching

not trying to take anyone down here. I call them like I see them.

did read the other posts. There is sound advice that I would take.
mattmccoy
View Profile
Loyal user
203 Posts

Profile of mattmccoy
I thought it was great! Keep up the good work!

-Matt
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » What you think of my new promo video? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL