The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Eli Kerr on America's Got Talent (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Keith Jozsef
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Keith Jozsef
In a post under the Kevin James-A.G.T. topic, I proposed the following equation:

Eli Kerr = Everything That Is Wrong With Magic

Now before everyone chimes in with "oh, you're being too harsh, or, it must have been nerves, etc..." Let's think about this...

You've just been given the green-light to make a huge impression on a nation-wide television broadcast, that could possibly propel you to stardom...and you come out under-rehearsed, flat, and down-right sloppy--so much so--that you expose the very illusion you were featuring. Can someone please tell me how this happens? (And I'm well aware that minor mistakes, that can be covered, are made from time-to-time, but this was a catastrophe.)

Was it nerves?--Nerves are natural. It's the feeling of "I'm ready to go, but I can't stand the waiting!". It wasn't nerves--he was under-rehearsed. He should have practiced that routine until he and his assistant could do it in their sleep. And that's just it, this was NOT a NEW routine for him. Go check out the demo video he has on youtube. Here he is performing the same Jim Steinmeyer Hologram illusion--with alterations to the original prop, for those who own one--so it can't be that he and the assistant were unfamiliar with the routine. So if it wasn't nerves...

Was it a technical difficulty?--As he alluded to on the show. Well here's a tip Eli: When you make home-made modifactions to a technically sound piece of equipment like Steinmeyer's Hologram, you'd better make sure that they are at the same level of the builder that manufactured the prop. Just because Eli has been a prop handler for Robert Gallup and others, doesn't--by extension-- mean you are a builder, and yes, even an illusionist yourself. For the benefit of those that didn't see it, Eli tried to add some sort of "doves flying out of the prop" kicker-ending, that was completely bungled.

I felt the need to rant about this because it absolutely breaks my heart as well as ****es me off at the same time. At first, I wanted to feel sympathy for Eli, but that quickly turned to anger. Not long after the show, lay-friends and family that watched, started ringing the phone of the hook with "Did you see that goof-ball mess up? What was he trying to do? etc...)--Not to mention the fact that exposing an illusion that myself and others on this board may own, didn't do us any favors!--

This program and any other spinoff like it gives magicians, illusionists, etc...the opportunity to raise the bar, in terms of the "inept-bungler, pull-a-quarter-out-of your-ear-crazy-uncle image of magic, that so much of the public still perceives to be true. It would have been one thing for Eli to not be voted through because his performance, while good, was just not up to par with the rest. It is quite another, however, to see this level of incompetance shine so bright on a national stage.

--bring on the empathy for Eli--

Keith Jozsef
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
Are you talking about the doves being let out? If that's it, he shouldnt have done it. I don't think he should have even done that illusion. AGTs stage crew doesn't give any special lighting, something this illusion needs.

Another reason is that for this part of the competetition, you have very little time to impress the judges, so I don't think it it was under rehearsed, I think it was rushed. Everyone had about a miniute. If you cant rush the piece you want to do, don't do it.

Bruce Block didn't impress me much either because he didn't do the full routine. The rabbi from a hat is a great piece in its entirety, but the little that he offered was not the best part of the routine.
-Matt
Keith Jozsef
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Keith Jozsef
Actually, they get 3 minutes. It just appeared shorter because they really edited everyone's segments. I'm not sure if anyone has it on youtube. They featured Eli's spot during the 'disappointing acts' segment that was before Kevin and Anthony's spots. Did anyone press record early?
BRodgers
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of BRodgers
I recorded it via VHS, but cant convert it digitally to get it on the net. Maybe I'll just point my cam at the screen and get it on here that way.

That is, if anyone wants to see it, or even thinks it should be shown again, and again...
Creator of The Phantom Band 360
Beaudini Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
Ohio
259 Posts

Profile of Beaudini Magic
I would like to see it.

-Beau
-Beau Alexander
"Make the Path, Others will Follow"
BRodgers
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of BRodgers
Ok, I'll get it on here.

Also, as a bonus I will put up Bruce Block's performance, as well as a clip of Hans Kloks appearance at the begining of the show. He produces Jerry Springer via tip over trunk.
Beaudini Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
Ohio
259 Posts

Cool, Thanks.

-Beau
-Beau Alexander
Keith Jozsef
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Keith Jozsef
BRodgers--

If you don't mind, could you not put a lot of tags on the clip when you upload it. Jus t cut and paste the URL here. The less public exposure of the illusion, the better.

Keith Jozsef
BRodgers
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of BRodgers
Keith,

I agree with you. I have only put in tags that youtube required. I kept it minimal.

I'm only putting this up so fellow magicians who missed it can get to see it.

This is now uploaded, but it will take a little bit to finlly become available to watch.

I'll post the link once its available.

Posted: Jul 11, 2007 12:24pm
Ok, that didn't take long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14ulafoS0do
Keith Jozsef
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Keith Jozsef
After re-watching the clip, it makes me realize what a huge step BACKWARDS this was for Eli Kerr--exposure aside.

His first appearance had him dressed in a very gothic looking outfit performing a respectable torch/sword basket with the kicker production of a second girl. Sharon Osborne, as I recall, dubbed him a "heavy-metal magician". But here, Eli walks out in a plain shirt and jeans, exuding no energy and no trace of that "heavy-metal magicain" was to be found.

(For those unfamiliar with the hologram illusion, this clip, like the others was heavily edited.)

I mean, this guy was basically handed a "unique brand" by Sharon--something he could have capitalized on and made as his calling card....and he chose to ignore it!?!? This is a classic example of the audience perceiving you as something other than you perceive yourself.

What are your thoughts?

Keith Jozsef
collective foundry
View Profile
Inner circle
1404 Posts

Profile of collective foundry
I had a friend call me last night with " a magician who butchered hologram" on national TV. I just hope Jim was not watching this. (and I cringed when I saw this) Just too bad . . . These things happen.
IllusionJack
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of IllusionJack
Here is the clip of Eli Kerr's much more successful performance on America's Got Talent...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eqdNsk7Pv0

--Jack Smile
Keith Jozsef
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Keith Jozsef
Thanks to both for the video.

Did you notice at the end of Eli's better performance, when he's told that he's on to the next round, The Hof says "Up it though".
Beaudini Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
Ohio
259 Posts

Thanks for posting the clip. It's a shame that happend to Eli. While I did not think he would win the contest, I did think he did a respectable job with the sword basket. Not enough rehearsal? I do not know. Sometimes unfortunate things happen, even to the best of performers. I've seen big problems with a Copperfield illusion as well as Siegfried and Roy. No one on this forum can say that this could not have potentially happend to them. I wish Eli the best, and respect that he is out there on national television doing what he enjoys doing. I am

Your Friend in Magic,

Beau Alexander
-Beau Alexander
Hey Song
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Hey Song
I didn't like Eli Kerr since his sword basket performance. Please listen to the Go Magic Go podcast about everything that's wrong with the sword basket.

I wish Eli the best. He got magic on the air and that's really important. I hope he continues to perform. He has a nice style.
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
Blackstone Jr certainly knew what happens when things go wrong...just watch the video on youtube and he was an excelent illusionist.
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
883 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
Quote:
On 2007-07-11 09:56, Matthew W wrote:
... for this part of the competetition, you have very little time to impress the judges, so I don't think it it was under rehearsed, I think it was rushed. Everyone had about a miniute. If you cant rush the piece you want to do, don't do it.

I think the lesson to be learned here is that if you have to rush your act to fit the alloted time then THAT is what needs to be rehearsed to within an inch of its life. If you know you've only got "x" amount of time, then you have to know that you can deliver consistently in that time!
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1673 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
After that last bit .. I think I would have hung myself.

The other "Heavy Metal Magician"

Steve
Mattillusion
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of Mattillusion
Ouch. It was quick though and I don't think we need to worry about any layman putting two and two together from Eli's mistake. You can't even tell what's happening inside the prop. (I think this show is very poorly shot and edited, especially for magic acts) The most obvious mistake was the assistant pushing through the shade. Definitely a poor choice for a follow-up appearance.
gulamerian
View Profile
Special user
581 Posts

Profile of gulamerian
While there is a lot of negative about his performance of the hologram illusion I think the idea of adding the doves was a great idea.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Eli Kerr on America's Got Talent (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL