The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Eli Kerr on America's Got Talent (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1851 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
I can appreciate Keith's position on this topic. He feels that if anyone is given the opportunity to present their act in front of a televised national (global) audinece, that whatever they chose to offer should be their very best.

Eli clearly made a mistake in his attempt to "improve" upon an illusion routine that he already did reasonably well, judging from a different video I saw of his basic routine. In the other video, he already had a different approach to the trick which seemed to work quite well for him.

Apparently, he felt compelled to add an extra measure of "wow" factor to his routine. It is apparent to us that there was insufficient rehersal, as his assistant had way too much to do inside the illusion, and help to cause the premature end to the routine.

Personally, what I have learned from this incident is that it is better to stick with the tried and tested routines that you already have, and resist the temptation to make last minute changes to something that you presumeably already do well.

My 2˘

Chris
gulamerian
View Profile
Special user
581 Posts

Profile of gulamerian
"Ruthlessly honest feed back." Now that is interesting. I would think that in order to provide "ruthlessly honest feed back", one would have to have seen the entire performance of the illusion and not a few seconds of a three minute routine.
IllusionJack
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of IllusionJack
Indeed, Mr. Kerr's portrayal on AGT for the "Hologram" illusion is a bit embarassing for all of us.

However, numerous comments on other threads have been made to suggest that AGT deliberately manipulates the editing and/or casting to make performers appear the way they want them to appear.

If this is true - perhaps what was seen was what the producers wanted us to see. This isn't live TV - they could have done a re-take to allow Mr. Kerr to correct the mistake. But the mistake - which any single one of us could have made - makes for better TV and thus, this is what we saw.

This is of course just speculation.

I do hope that the folks on the board here who have the advice for Mr. Kerr also send him an email or something so that he may benefit from it.

--Jack Smile
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Every peformer, regardless of how much they have rehearsed or how many times they have performed, has a moment like this, I'm sure. There are those who will tell you that they have their show down to a point where this will never happen, but I don't believe this for a second. It might not be directly their own fault, but the power can go out, a catch or a release doesn't, an assistant gets a cramp, etc., etc., etc.

Kirby van Burch in Branson probably performs as many shows a year as anyone out there. I have seen perfect shows, and shows where the lights go out or the music doesn't change. He simply acknowledges that there was a problem and moves on. Afterwards, the conversation isn't what went wrong, but how great the how was. I've probably seen Johnny Ace Palmer's act twenty times. One time one of the chicks got away and went running across the floor. He just kept moving and adapted his story line for two chicks.

In my opinion, what makes a professional performer a professional is what they do with "the hand they've been dealt" once a problem occurs. This was a lousy place to have this happen, but I'm sure Eli will recover and make the most of it.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
StageMngr4magic
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of StageMngr4magic
OK so after tonight's episode of America's Got Talent is it time for the All knowing Keith Jozsef to start a negative Thread about Kevin James and try and school him on how he should have performed and what he should have prepared? After only seeing one perspective like he did after Eli's act? Just wondering. Ha! Kevin James Kicks ass by the way, and still has my vote!! So did Eli if he made it thru!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Eli Kerr on America's Got Talent (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL