The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Hyper-bent-elation (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
martini
View Profile
Special user
delta, pennsylvania
548 Posts

Profile of martini
Greetings Guys;
As one who plays with far too many gaffed cards, I have to give "The Hypercard Project" by Tom Frame, my highest recommendation.

I recently bought this book, and have read it through three times, Excellent is all I can say.

The book comes spiral bound, 36 pages long 8 & 1/2 X 11 format, an update page, a set of the cards (10 to be exact) and a sheet of labels and plastic for variations within the book. very complete, and you can tell that Tom has really put the time and energy into producing a first class package here.

So what is in the book? Thought you would never ask.

There is a two page introduction for those of you unfamiliar with the concept followed by

Hypercard (Karl Fulves 1978)
Here is the Hypercard as it appeared in the Pallbearers Review and later the Chronicles, explaining what it is, how it started as a problem to solve and taking you step by step through 3 pages and 11 pictures.

Then for a real treat is Don England's Winged Hypercard (1979) something to ponder and think about for sure.

Then comes 4 pages with 21 pictures of "The Hypercard Experiments" (Ben Harris 1985) which also includes the torn and restored sequence

Another page gives you the details and work on the Business Card Application of this principle which to me is worth the price of the book to somone who wishes to have the most unique business card imaginable.

Two more pages and 4 more pictures give you "Minimal Sculpture" (Martin Gardner 1992) covering the first revelation of the secret construction in Scientific America in 1978.

Five pages follow with "Hyperflex" (Bob Neale 1997) with 27 pictures taking you on the journey of the Hyperbill using a dollar bill instead of a card. You then go from Hyperbill into Flexabill and finish with details on solving the puzzle.

Then we are treated to 7 pages & 13 pictures of "Hyper-Warp" (Wesley James 2004)
This is Wesley's excellent handling of card warp that finishes with a visually impossible configuration known as the hypercard which is stapled to the other card and can be give out to the spectator to take home and stare in awe. This could be a $20 trick on it's own.

Now we come to "The Gaff/Basic Hypercard Construction" (Tom Frame 2006) in two pages and 13 pictures Tom takes you through the gaffing and explanation of the card and its use to end up with a hypercard.

Seven more pages with 34 pictures "Son of Hyper-Warp" (Tome Frame 2006) Here the marriage of Card Warp and The HyperCard creates a perfect give-away that is sure to be kept for years. This is an excellent trick and one that will definately make people sit up and take notice. Once they pick their jaws up off the floor, you can then walk on water if you want to do something to try and top it. Once again a easy $20 trick on it's own.

A page of Bibliography finishes out this excellent book with names, book titles, dates and pages where they can be found.

I guess you can tell that I really like this. For $25 it is a steal, trust me, if you do walk around & restaurant work, this is a reputation maker.

Do yourself a favor as well, when you order the book from Tom, grab a couple extra decks of the cards, you will use them, so you may as well get them now.

I have no financial interest in this product, I remembered a hypercard in Mortimer's Magic Magazine (which I used to write articles for) and when I saw this advertised at MJM magic, I bought it. When it arrived, I sat down and read it through thinking, here is a winner, why did'nt I know about this before?

I immediately shot Tom off an e-mail and orderd some decks as this is going right into my working sessions.

Tom, as I told you in my e-mail and I'll repeat it here, "You did one hell of a great job here" again Congratulations on a super well done book.

For the rest of you, grab this now, it is very very good.
All the Best
Marty
tomcards
View Profile
Veteran user
San Francisco
395 Posts

Profile of tomcards
Aw shucks. Thanks again, Marty.
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Vey nice review.

Thanks, Marty.

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
I was very happy to come across this old thread. Anyone have any new comments they'd like to add?

jeff
tomcards
View Profile
Veteran user
San Francisco
395 Posts

Profile of tomcards
Yes, The Hypercard Project and the refill decks are still available, directly from me.

tomframe1@comcast.net

Tom Frame
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
The Hypercard Project is an incredible book. Tom's version is the ultimate.
Using his gimmicked card, even those "Engineer degreed" right brainers that haunt all magician's nightmares won't be able to figure this one out. Tom has covered all the angles and weaknesses of the hypercard and made it magical.
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
tomcards
View Profile
Veteran user
San Francisco
395 Posts

Profile of tomcards
Thanks James
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
Quote:
On 2009-07-02 11:48, tomcards wrote:
Yes, The Hypercard Project and the refill decks are still available, directly from me.

tomframe1@comcast.net

Tom Frame

Tom,

I'm interested in this...what are the costs including shipping to Vancouver, BC, Canada? Thanks!

jeff
tomcards
View Profile
Veteran user
San Francisco
395 Posts

Profile of tomcards
PM'd you.
Tschark86
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of Tschark86
For anyone interested, Hyper Bent Elation by Daryl has been re-released.

https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S36766
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Hyper-bent-elation (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL