The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Your entrance...what does it look and sound like (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Louis LaLaurie
View Profile
New user
New York, NY
79 Posts

Profile of Louis LaLaurie
Place to stand? I start show, that's what I do. Big and loud, use saga of silk for fun...very fun for all! Colorful. Where you stand, Mr. Tony? You have special hat for rabbits to pop from?
chris mcbrien
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1235 Posts

Profile of chris mcbrien
Are you saying you use the "Silken Saga", Louis? Can you describe it?
Cesar Munoz
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of Cesar Munoz
HELLO EVERYBODY!
wardini
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of wardini
I only do small gigs, about 8-30 kids normally, either in a village hall or the front room of a house. Because I have to get setup while the kids are there I can't make a grand entrance as such but this is how I work it.

I pick up my cane and don my top hat (I am trying to portray the character of the old time greats, Carter, Kellar, Thurston etc.)

I slowly walk in front of the kids making eye contact with as many as possible keeping my movement slow and deliberate. My expression is stern but not menacing. At this point the children are slightly unsure of me because I've changed from the friendly chatty bloke setting up stuff to something slightly different. I feel this reinforces the fact that the show has started, it builds tension and reinforces the behaviour management rules I am about to deliver. Authoratively I announce 'I am The Great Wardini and I'm here today to delight and entertain you with feats of great magic.' At this point I do cane to silk remove my hat, placing it on a table and dump cane and silks into hat.

I now quicken my movement and speech. 'But before I begin there are three rules which you must understand and obey. Rule one: If I do this.' (Hold arm in above head and wave fingers.) 'It means you must all sit quite still and be quiet because until you do the magic can't continue'. 'Rule two If I do this.' (Hold fingers to lips and make a shushing sound.)'You must all look at the grown ups in the room and go shush because they are making too much noise. ' (This is really a message to the adults, don't chat through my show. I have only ever had to get the kids to do it once and it had the desired effect of quietenning down the adults without it seeming to come from me.) 'Rule three if I do this .(I now run across the stage in a silly manner hitting myself on the bum. ) 'It means I've accidently set my pants on fire by magic.' This always gets a big laugh from the kids. It releases the built up tension and lets them know that we're going to have fun.

Whether this is a good way to start or not I don't know but it seems to work well with me as I'm not the out and out jolly happy go lucky type of entertainer. It certainly seems to be beneficial from a child management perspective.
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3058 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
I had something made by a famous voice talent here in Manila for TV and Radio commercials Smile (Thanks to Apollo Abraham and Rannie Raymundo)

The intro goes something like this...

"...please welcome, the Country's Number One Magician"...then starts whispering, "huh the number one magician ain't here? who's performing? Wanlu!? ....errr...Ladies and Gentlemen, please disregard my previous introduction, please welcome instead the Comedy and Magic of Wanlu...."

Works for me Smile
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu's Affordable Puppets
http://wanlu.net/ventpuppets.html

Wanlu and his Puppets
http://wanlu.net
Fred-Ric
View Profile
New user
Netherlands
4 Posts

Profile of Fred-Ric
I use, everytime when it is possible Arthur Stead's intro's. These tunes attract the attention of everybody and it is clear that the show will start.

His music is very good!
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
Quote:
On 2007-09-12 12:07, Fred-Ric wrote:
I use, everytime when it is possible Arthur Stead's intro's. These tunes attract the attention of everybody and it is clear that the show will start.

His music is very good!

Arthur's music is excellent for any program, pre-show or intro.
jskalon
View Profile
Special user
Shorewood, IL.
869 Posts

Profile of jskalon
I start by walking out to music and doing a 2 1/2 to 3 minute production of silks, etc. From there I do a short funny warm up geared to what ever age group is in the audience.

Magic Santa, I like your idea for announcing yourself and getting caught, That's hilarious.

Jack
Jack Skalon

"That's my story and I'm stickin' to it"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Your entrance...what does it look and sound like (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL