The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Curious about Derren Brown's books (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Greetings.

Usually when prices skyrocket on a book there is a reason. Then when they skyrocket on two books by an author there is a reason.

So, can someone tell me the reason? I love books, and have both of these. Just really curious.

Thanks!

RevJohn
ChristopherM
View Profile
Special user
UK
844 Posts

Profile of ChristopherM
The two books became out of print quite recently. They're not to be re-printed again, at the author's request. Hence the price hikes. A lot of the frenzy I'm sure has come from laymen wishing to read these books. Isn't it a shame when magic books get into the wrong hands...?
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4464 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
Don't worry guys, the price will come down eventually... (I live in hope as I lent my Pure effect to a 'friend' and never heard from them again and couldn't get in contact, my mistake I guess!) I still have my signed Absolute Magic though!
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Thanks for the information!

John
ChristopherM
View Profile
Special user
UK
844 Posts

Profile of ChristopherM
You're welcome, John. As a little footnote for completeness' sake, he has authored a third book, aimed at the general public, and sold in high-street bookshops, 'Tricks of the Mind'.
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2178 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
Absolute Magic is probably my favorite book of magic, and it does not contain one effect. It changed how I look at tricks and effects and I can't wait for his new sci-fi TV show. If you get the chance I would highly recommend it. I own Pure Effect, and have never read it - lame huh?

http://www.world-of-magic.co.uk/magic.asp?id=237
themagicofdrew
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of themagicofdrew
I work for the company that published both and I can tell you that the price shows no sign of coming down, Derren has a new show here in the states starting July 26th and we anticipate even more demand for his first two books after it airs. And yes you were right, it is not being reprinted because of too many laypeople seeing what he does on TV and expecting to learn it by buying his books. This is the reason Derren asked for them not to be reprinted and then released a general-pub book.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Also, Mr. Brown tries to leave his "sleight of hands" past behind as soon as possible.
Cards never lie
Hansen
View Profile
Special user
Down Under
653 Posts

Profile of Hansen
I also can't see the prices on these going anywhere but up. I expect after a few years the "musical chairs" style of regularly swapping owners will gradually grind to a halt as they fall into the hands of folks who truly appreciate their worth and wouldn't sell them for anything (well, maybe a cool grand might do it). I can only see them becoming more and more rare.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
3362 Posts

The bigger the hype, the higher the price.
Cards never lie
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4541 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Quote:
On 2007-07-12 23:03, Andy the cardician wrote:

Totally untrue
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
I picked up both books, enjoyed them (Absolute Magic more so) and then re-listed and sold them.

Good read, interesting thoughts from Brown. Nothing earth shattering though, if there was they'd already be selling at much more than $100.00.

Absolute Magic is a brilliant book every magician should read.........Pure Effect was interesting, but didn't excite me as it does for some other folks.

Brown is an extremely (EXTREMELY) entertaining writer, far more so than a lot of magic/mentalism authors currently marketing their wares.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
3362 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-07-12 23:07, Blindside785 wrote:
Quote:

Totally untrue

So please tell me what makes up a market price? Afterall, someone must be ready to pay the price.
Cards never lie
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4541 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Quote:
On 2007-07-13 00:19, silverking wrote:
I picked up both books, enjoyed them (Absolute Magic more so) and then re-listed and sold them.

Good read, interesting thoughts from Brown. Nothing earth shattering though, if there was they'd already be selling at much more than $100.00.

Absolute Magic is a brilliant book every magician should read.........Pure Effect was interesting, but didn't excite me as it does for some other folks.

Brown is an extremely (EXTREMELY) entertaining writer, far more so than a lot of magic/mentalism authors currently marketing their wares.
To bad Derren Brown is not releasing anymore material to the magic community, he is a genius thinker.
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2508 Posts

Profile of Waters
The real mystique of these books are twofold:

1) They will never be re-printed. Hence the law of "supply and demand" has increased the price. But also...

2) They contain iconoclastic ideas about the performance of magic and mentalism. Not necessarily the effects (but those are great as well). The essays concerning performance and the creation of effects will transform the caring performer. Other than Banachek's book, "Psychological Subtleties", Derren's "Pure Effect" has influenced my thinking about performance, more than any other (and I've read my fair share). "Invisible compromise" and "tabula rasa" (essays in the book) have shaped the selection and performance of every routine that I perform. Priceless material.

I would place "Pure Effect" right there with the "Books of Wonder" (Tommy Wonder), "Mastering the Art of Magic" (Burger), "Strong Magic" (Ortiz) and other highly regarded works on performance. Excellent.

Sean
ChristopherM
View Profile
Special user
UK
844 Posts

Profile of ChristopherM
Quote:
On 2007-07-12 23:07, Blindside785 wrote:
Quote:

Totally untrue

May I kindly suggest that merely stating "totally untrue" without any additional information to back up the assertion is not necessarily the best way to enhance discussions on these boards? Andy has indeed already asked for further clarification; please do explain, I too would like to be able to better understand your point of view. Thank you.
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4464 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
What I have just found a shame, is when on eBay, I searched as usual for Magic books, to see if any I haven't got that I want come up, as everyone does. After my search, I set the order with Highest price first. Out of 387 items, the top 6 were...you guessed it, Derren Browns Pure effect. People are selling just because they can make money. A lof of you will think 'Wow! Expensive!', however, it is tempting to buy a few, as in a couple the price will triple, as they become even rarer! (Not really going to do that by the way!)
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Curious about Derren Brown's books (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL